University of Minnesota sets school record for student-athlete graduation rates

Iceland12

Reaction score
The number of student-athletes at the University of Minnesota who graduate is at an all-time high.

This month, the school announced a 93 percent graduation rate for these athletes, a dramatic increase from just more than a decade ago...

The latest data shows the University of Minnesota ranks tied for second among all Big-Ten schools for NCAA Graduation success rates.

"I'm not sure how much higher we can go but we obtained 93 percent this year and it's really fantastic," said J.T. Bruett, director of the Lindahl Academic Center at the University of Minnesota.

This is a major improvement for the University of Minnesota. That's because when the NCAA first tracked this number in 2005, only 68 of student-athletes graduated from the University of Minnesota, the worst rate in the Big-Ten.

"I think we identified that we needed to do better," Bruett said.

J.T. Bruett is the director of the Lindahl Academic Center at the University of Minnesota and is seeing the transformation first hand.

"We've made tremendous strides probably over the last 10 to 15 years," Bruett said.

Bruett believes the recent success starts with the type of students they recruit, leading to a strong learning environment for everyone. ..

https://kstp.com/news/university-of...udent-athlete-graduation-rates/5151886/?cat=1

This is awesome! As a former tutor, I was initially surprised by how much the student-athletes actually cared about being students. The way they celebrated their academic success with me made me feel like an essential part of the teams.

I’m glad to see the culture grow but I’m not surprised given the leadership.

This is awesome! As a former tutor, I was initially surprised by how much the student-athletes actually cared about being students. The way they celebrated their academic success with me made me feel like an essential part of the teams.

I’m glad to see the culture grow but I’m not surprised given the leadership.

All true and they've had a lot of different leaders in the last 10-15 years.

Bump.

Whole lot of threads and posts about "the damn media always ripping the Gophers. Where are the stories about GOOD things happening at the U?!"

Here's one. Looks like nobody cares.

Bump.

Whole lot of threads and posts about "the damn media always ripping the Gophers. Where are the stories about GOOD things happening at the U?!"

Good stories don't generate web hits and ratings. If it bleeds, it leads. One Gopher getting arrested for a sexual incident will always draw the biggest headline. 100 Gophers getting good grades and doing community service goes on page 5. The nature of the media beast.

I read a story once about some newspaper editor or publisher who tried to run all positive news for a week, as an experiment. Sort of "If Jesus edited a newspaper, what would it look like?" kind of thing. The sales tanked.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceland12 View Post
Bump.

Good stories don't generate web hits and ratings. If it bleeds, it leads. One Gopher getting arrested for a sexual incident will always draw the biggest headline. 100 Gophers getting good grades and doing community service goes on page 5. The nature of the media beast.

I read a story once about some newspaper editor or publisher who tried to run all positive news for a week, as an experiment. Sort of "If Jesus edited a newspaper, what would it look like?" kind of thing. The sales tanked.

Hey thanks Captain Obvious!

(Though I was referring to the Gopherhole whiners, not the media itself...)

The Gopher football team has had an amazing turn around with respect to academics. For decades, the U was at or near the bottom in terms of football graduation rate among Big Ten teams. Glen Mason, for his part, made next to no progress in improving the football team's graduation rate. But post Glen, and especially during the Kill era, academics really improved. Tracy C and PJ have kept it going so far, which is great.

Definitely something to be proud of. I have mentioned this a few times to friends and family that are negative about Gopher athletics. I would think this would be a positive recruiting tool as well as most parents would be happy to know their kid is going to a school that puts a value in and supports the academic side of the student athlete experience.

I believe that the football team current cumulative GPA is 3.1, 3.2 or something like that... is
anyone in the know?

Top Bottom