Former Gophers HC Tracy Claeys named a semi-finalist for the Broyles Award

BleedGopher

Reaction score
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

No way they give this award to someone who bundles up during cold weather games.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good or Coach, that has to help him with that sour taste he had when leaving here. I miss his D's! On another note clearly he can't win the award because as many posters have stated here before he's simply too obese.

It really is amazing how some people just can't help but post negative crap. A really good assistant coach is recognized for being a really good assistant coach and the first couple replies in the thread are already bringing up crap about the way he dressed in cold weather games or the comments a small percentage of mean posters made about his weight.

Guess it would be too boring to post something along the lines of: Congrats to Coach Claeys, well deserved, hope he wins it.

I hope he wins it. He is deserving.

Too funny.....you posted that while I was typing my post......and said almost exactly what I put at the end for what a good reply would be....lol

He’s a really good assistant coach.
He might even be a good head coach someday.

But you can’t publicy go against the AD in his line of work. You can’t lose control of the team to the point where you create a national storyline about a negative story at your university. Those two things did him in.

Hopefully Claeys wins it. Great dc.

Great football coach. Whatever you think of TC, in my mind, this is a great story. As a first year HC he had one of the best seasons in recent memory. During which, he had to deal with one of the most difficult, highly publicized off the field situations that any coach has had at the U. He was clearly unsupported during this time by his AD and the university President. Basically a lame duck that was let go under the veil of being a poor recruiter and promoting a bad culture. Regardless of what you personally think of him, for TC to redeem himself in this way is rather amazing. I’m sure he had many dark days over the past two years.

Washington @ WSU tonight. HUGE game for their program and for Claeys. They will have their work cut out for them. Cheering for Gardner Minshew, Claeys, and Leach tonight although I love Petersen.

Just heard on pre game WSU leads the PAC 12 in sacks. This is not a team reeling in top defensive talent.

Nice! I'm rooting for Claeys! Go Cougs!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Would love to see the current Gopher offense with a Claeys defense.

I hope he wins this... he seems to be a good fella. I liked him as our coach. I also like the coach who followed him, and the coach who preceded him....

That being said, I watched their last game vs Stanford and the stands in Pullman were 1/3 to 1/2 empty and this is a top 10 team. College football attendance is an issue countrywide.

I hope he wins this... he seems to be a good fella. I liked him as our coach. I also like the coach who followed him, and the coach who preceded him....

That being said, I watched their last game vs Stanford and the stands in Pullman were 1/3 to 1/2 empty and this is a top 10 team. College football attendance is an issue countrywide.

The Stanford game was in Nor-Cal. Stanford is having a mediocre season (for them) so not too surprising on the crowd. One does not drive anywhere in California without a very good reason, on account of horrendous traffic. It takes something pretty special to pull in full crowds in these areas.

The Stanford game was in Nor-Cal. Stanford is having a mediocre season (for them) so not too surprising on the crowd. One does not drive anywhere in California without a very good reason, on account of horrendous traffic. It takes something pretty special to pull in full crowds in these areas.

Ah ha... thanks. I was under the impression it was in Pullman. My mistake.

Congrats to Coach Claeys and well-deserved. I still think the 2016 holiday bowl's defensive effort is one of the greatest college coaching displays I have ever seen. Leach had a front row seat, and I think he agrees and figured it would be better to have Claeys on his side.

Congrats to Coach Claeys and well-deserved. I still think the 2016 holiday bowl's defensive effort is one of the greatest college coaching displays I have ever seen. Leach had a front row seat, and I think he agrees and figured it would be better to have Claeys on his side.

It was a really good effort. But let’s not pretend it was one of the best efforts ever.
A 9 win team beat a 10 win team.

When I think of best coaching jobs ever I think of 2007 Stanford over USC.
I think of App State over Michigan.

I don’t think of 8-4 Minnesota over 10-2 Washington State

Best wishes to coach Claeys, a great coach who we were lucky to have in Minnesota for a few years.

It's unfortunate that his huge error in judgement (voicing support for striking players) gave a dishonorable administration a much-desired pretext to remove him. Had he stayed I think we'd be miles farther down the Kill/Claeys road, in a better place than we are right now.

It was a really good effort. But let’s not pretend it was one of the best efforts ever.
A 9 win team beat a 10 win team.

When I think of best coaching jobs ever I think of 2007 Stanford over USC.
I think of App State over Michigan.

I don’t think of 8-4 Minnesota over 10-2 Washington State

Given the player suspensions and the turmoil over them? Hmmm. Don't sell it too short.

Given the player suspensions and the turmoil over them? Hmmm. Don't sell it too short.

I’m not. I’ve said it was really impressive.
Just not one of the most impressive in the history of college football.

It really is amazing how some people just can't help but post negative crap. A really good assistant coach is recognized for being a really good assistant coach and the first couple replies in the thread are already bringing up crap about the way he dressed in cold weather games or the comments a small percentage of mean posters made about his weight.

Guess it would be too boring to post something along the lines of: Congrats to Coach Claeys, well deserved, hope he wins it.

We all know some people have perfect bodies, hot wives and do not own jackets. Oblivious to cold weather and are perfect in every way. We wish we had this coach in his current capacity.

Let not rehash the same old arguments over again.

I am happy for TC with his success at WSU and in the same note, I am also happy that TC is not the HC at the U. It doesn’t have to be mutually exclusive. I don’t dislike TC, I wish he was our DC.

Exactly, good for him. I wonder if he is enjoying the snow? I guess as long as he is not freezing his a$$ off - just repeating some of his parting words.

Looks like he didn't have the horses to contain Washington... couldn't contain the edge several times, big plays cost them...

That and the weather took Leach's offense out of the game.

Entertaining game.

Last edited:

Looks like he didn't have the horses to contain Washington... couldn't contain the edge several times, big plays cost them...

That and the weather took Leach's offense out of the game.

Entertaining game.

His defense gave up 487 yards in a 28-15 loss in the snow.

Sorry you must have not caught my sarcasm. I could care less about a coaches weight if he can coach but it was a point of contention for many on this board.

His defense gave up 487 yards in a 28-15 loss in the snow.

When you're built to defend in a passing conference that's not too surprising when the other team has maulers on the o-line. And the conditions make it hard for undersized DLs to compete. Then again I'm sure you realize that and are just trying to be a dink.

Top Bottom