Minnesota defense showing improvement under interim defensive coordinator Joe Rossi

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Madison.com:

P.J. Fleck’s decision to fire defensive coordinator Robb Smith two weeks ago, following a Nov. 3 loss at Illinois, wasn’t necessarily a move to save Minnesota’s season.

Sure, the Golden Gophers needed two wins over the season’s final three games against quality opponents in order to make a bowl game, and they couldn’t do so without improving a defense that had been gashed for more than 600 yards twice in three weeks.

But Minnesota’s head coach simply needed something to change after the Golden Gophers’ defense yet again gave up 30-plus points — the sixth time in as many Big Ten games it did so. This time marked a new low — surrendering a whopping 55 points to struggling Illini team that hadn’t scored that many in a game since 2011.

"As you continue to move forward, you either see that you want this to continue to happen and you believe in that, or you make that change,” Fleck said Nov. 6, two days after firing Smith. “… Very difficult to change so much schematics in three weeks. That's not what this is about. This is me moving forward into the future."

https://www.ktbs.com/sports/nationa...cle_978b8111-71a1-5107-bcfc-60255b1b12cf.html

Go Gophers!!

Rossi may not be the DC solution, but he does show what a huge hiring mistake Smith was.

Really wishing Joe Rossi was DC all season.

The defense was solid all day long today. They, along with a solid, dominating performance by the offensive line, is what won this game.

We beat Wisconsin in the trenches folks!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PJ said that it has been a three game job interview.

PJ said that it has been a three game job interview.

Rossi basically made it impossible to look elsewhere. NW game wasn't perfect, but that certainly wasn't on the defense. The interim label was handed to him. He flat-out earned the permanent gig.

Rossi basically made it impossible to look elsewhere. NW game wasn't perfect, but that certainly wasn't on the defense. The interim label was handed to him. He flat-out earned the permanent gig.

Yes he did. I'm really happy for him and the team. Early in the game when Wisconsin receivers were dropping passes I started to think that the Badgers were playing like losers. They were doing the things that losers do (at least in this game). The Gophers were playing like winners, I'm hoping that they can continue to do that. Go Gophers!

Top Bottom