MN Daily: Amir Coffey fitting right in at new position

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per the Daily:

One Gophers basketball player wasn't brought in as a point guard, but he's now thriving this season at the position.

Amir Coffey may not look like a point guard but Minnesota is more than comfortable with the ball in the hands of the 6-foot-8 junior. Head coach Richard Pitino said his combination of size and skill creates mismatches for opponents on the court.

"You have to make a decision on how you want to guard him," Pitino said. "He's really skilled, obviously. We're taking for granted that he's [6 feet, 8 inches] and he's bringing the ball up the court like he's [6 feet, 2 inches]."

For his first two seasons with Minnesota, Coffey didn't get as many opportunities to bring the ball up the court with Nate Mason running the offense. However, with Mason now graduated, Pitino has entrusted Coffey to play the point. So far, he's shown no indication that the position change has posed any challenges for him.

"I feel good," Coffey said of the position change. "It's something that I've been practicing all summer with my team. It's no different than running the three, really, it's just bringing the ball up."

http://www.mndaily.com/article/2018/11/s-amir-coffey-fitting-right-in-at-new-position

Go Gophers!!

Thriving at the position?

Amir still looks much better playing on the wing than the point. Not sure what games this kid has been covering.

Thriving at the position?

Amir still looks much better playing on the wing than the point. Not sure what games this kid has been covering.

I dunno, but based on that analysis, he would fit right in on the Strib staff with no further training.

Funny how perspectives are different when on gh.

Lol don’t think who ever wrote this has ever watched the gophers play.

Not sure thriving is the right word to describe his play at PG but he has not been terrible. The whole team struggled in Vancouver and Coffey did not play well but they did find ways to win.

PG isn't an ideal position for him but with Carr not able to play the team doesn't have a lot of options. If IW can figure out how to play within the team concept and not be as reckless he will hopefully log the majority of the minutes at PG and Amir can spend more time at his more natural wing position. But until that happens we don't have many options at PG and Amir is at least serviceable in the position.

Give the college kid that wrote it a break. The kid is young, impressionable and naive to how University sports is suppose to be covered with negativity and disdain by the local media.

Amir is far from thriving. That said, give him some time. It has been trial-by-Fire. He is not *the* answer at PG. But it’s clear Pitino wants to see if he can be a part of it. He’s played 5 games at the position against one cupcake and 4 good teams. Let’s see where he is in January. Stop being so impatient. Some of you act like you’ve never played sports.

"I feel good," Coffey said of the position change. "It's something that I've been practicing all summer with my team. It's no different than running the three, really, it's just bringing the ball up"

This is so true in the new era of positionless basketball. Coffey Running PG is not the issue with the offense. We have two new starters, played against zones, and also lost a high usage PG. The offense will be fine as this group continues to play together more and get some more continuity.

Everyone who has played point so far this season has shown a tendency to make a lazy entry pass or two when starting the offense. It seems we have at least two or three turnovers per game due to lazy passes.
This observation isn't uncommon, but because of the number of lefties on this team, we almost always start our entry pass going to the left wing.

This observation isn't uncommon, but because of the number of lefties on this team, we almost always start our entry pass going to the left wing.

Hold on. I always thought it was because of the slant of the court when I watch from home?!?

Hold on. I always thought it was because of the slant of the court when I watch from home?!?
29338ad51c641a021f1134aba699d07a.jpg

Top Bottom