STrib: Gophers attendance drop among nation's steepest declines, lowest since 1992

You’re first sentence is beyond stupid. Coyle has yet to make a mistake since he’s been here. Although I will agree that it’s him who needs to make the decision to lower prices significantly for all three major men’s sports, get rid of the donation entirely. But I’m so thankful to have Coyle running the department, for the first time in a long time we have incredibly competent leadership at the top.

I AGREE. It's really easy to make Coyle the scapegoat. How about the fans who don't show up; especially the people who post on here who complain, but don't buy season tickets or ever attend a game.

All three revenue sports teams are coming off of terrible years, and he is presiding over an embarrassing collapse of football attendance. But, yeah, hes doing a bang up job.

If you were the AD please tell me step by step what you would do.........instead of criticizing, give me some answers.

How many times in our recent history have the Gophers actually landed these ‘no-brainer’ coaching candidates??

Coyle has a very good track record of hiring coaches without consulting companies and he’s continuing that here.

I give the board of regents and Kaler credit for giving Coyle the money to get those coaches. I don't think that support was there in the past.

something at the U doesn't work for creating an environment of winning/competing. Fellas, we are beyond the black swan here.
something at the U inhibits winning ....it's not the fans and im pretty confident after the Kill/Tubby hiring cycle that its not coaching. creighton is lapping us in basketball ...think about it.

If you were satisfied that what was happening under Kill and Claeys is the best we could do, go for it. Fleck is trying to change 50 years of terrible and mediocre football with a couple of decent years thrown in. If you don't get what he is trying to do and that it's going to take time then you nit living in reality.

As a leader, PJ said exactly what he should have said to the media. Behind closed doors, it’s likely a different dialogue. All three major men’s sports teams seem to be suffering from attendance issues. I hope, and suspect, that Coyle and his team look at that as the #1 issue that they need to solve going forward. Winning would cure a lot, but there needs to be a plan that goes beyond that. And whatever is being done now does not seem to be working. I do wish that Coyle would not have stated that attendance issues were a reason to fire TC. Makes him look hypocritical now. As has been said many times before on this board it should have just been a “we’re going a new direction and I want my guy” statement. As a leader, he didn’t own it.

WRONG. There were more than 15,160. Were you there?

Yes I was. But that’s beside the point. You disputing the official scanned ticket figure is laughable. What do scanners know?

But I suppose if we count stadium staff, you’re right, there were more than 15,160 in TCF.

something at the U doesn't work for creating an environment of winning/competing. Fellas, we are beyond the black swan here.
something at the U inhibits winning ....it's not the fans and im pretty confident after the Kill/Tubby hiring cycle that its not coaching. creighton is lapping us in basketball ...think about it.[/Q

It is the fans or so called fans.............it ridiculous how they pay big bucks and flock to Vikings games, but can't support the U of M.

Yes I was. But that’s beside the point. You disputing the official scanned ticket figure is laughable. What do scanners know?

But I suppose if we count stadium staff, you’re right, there were more than 15,160 in TCF.

If you took all the fans from the top deck and put them into the lower deck there would not have been enough seats, that's 25,000 right there. I am disputing the scanners or however they came up with that number. To say there were less people there than the Purdue game IS laughable.

As a leader, PJ said exactly what he should have said to the media. Behind closed doors, it’s likely a different dialogue. All three major men’s sports teams seem to be suffering from attendance issues. I hope, and suspect, that Coyle and his team look at that as the #1 issue that they need to solve going forward. Winning would cure a lot, but there needs to be a plan that goes beyond that. And whatever is being done now does not seem to be working. I do wish that Coyle would not have stated that attendance issues were a reason to fire TC. Makes him look hypocritical now. As has been said many times before on this board it should have just been a “we’re going a new direction and I want my guy” statement. As a leader, he didn’t own it.
I agree with what you are saying although even during our nine win season we didn't sell the place out. Something had to be tried. Different coach isn't doing it so maybe it is pricing.

If you took all the fans from the top deck and put them into the lower deck there would not have been enough seats, that's 25,000 right there. I am disputing the scanners or however they came up with that number. To say there were less people there than the Purdue game IS laughable.
The Northwestern crowd looked better than 15k.

Lol they just compared a top 10 TCU team to a New Mexico in warm weather

21 ,23 degrees For the last 2 home games has to fall into the top 5 coldest games at the Bank?..

Also com

I AGREE. It's really easy to make Coyle the scapegoat. How about the fans who don't show up; especially the people who post on here who complain, but don't buy season tickets or ever attend a game.
Shame marketing!

An interesting question is what percent of the overall budget is football ticket revenue?

If cutting ticket prices results in decreased revenue can it be made up for in increased sales of concessions and gopher gear? Or is the decrease in revenue so large they can’t do it. Tbeyd rather have an empty stadium and money than a full stadium and a little less money.

I know my season ticket group was about a dozen 6 years ago. Down to 7 this year. Will be 4 or 5 next year. Our group is a group that has busy lives. When you can’t get to all the games the ticket prices are kind of ridiculous to buy season tickets.

You should get that double vision checked.

something at the U inhibits winning ....it's not the fans and im pretty confident after the Kill/Tubby hiring cycle that its not coaching. creighton is lapping us in basketball ...think about it.[/Q

It is the fans or so called fans.............it ridiculous how they pay big bucks and flock to Vikings games, but can't support the U of M.

In case people forgot those cold vikings games it was only 3/4 full. The playoff game against Seattle they did even sell out. Lol

R55, you are wrong about the fans being to blame but you are correct about > than 15K fans at the NW game. fact is we need the admin to allow the coach to do whatever they want to win.......Kill would have done better had the reins been handed over ala alvarez. We either do it now or just stumble along middling

If ticket sales declined more than the national average under Claeys...what would be the reaction here by the same posters? If the in game decisions, personnel decisions were made by Claeys...same question. PJ is selling hope and he’s good at it. But the ‘crooting and on field product haven’t matched that (yet). Fans are apathetic and more are approaching the “don’t care” zone because of this zany coach.

Lots of excuses, rationalizations being made. PJ has to get the ship turned around quick, starting tomorrow.

If you were the AD please tell me step by step what you would do.........instead of criticizing, give me some answers.

Coyle is the professional administrator, not me. If I knew how to do that job, someone would be paying me to do it. If knowing how to do better were the standard for criticizing, no one on this board could ever criticize any coach or player.

If ticket sales declined more than the national average under Claeys...what would be the reaction here by the same posters? If the in game decisions, personnel decisions were made by Claeys...same question. PJ is selling hope and he’s good at it. But the ‘crooting and on field product haven’t matched that (yet). Fans are apathetic and more are approaching the “don’t care” zone because of this zany coach.

Lots of excuses, rationalizations being made. PJ has to get the ship turned around quick, starting tomorrow.

spot on.

Best marketing approach ever: we are doing everything right, the customers just need to do a better job of giving us their money.

Least competent might be a bit too far, but his 3 big hires were all pretty much no-brainers. Fleck was, on paper, the best coaching prospect available. Same goes for Motzko. Whalen is a bit more out of the box, but if I was AD and knew she was interested I would have had a hard time not hiring her either.

So outside of those hires I can't really see what he's doing that's not Maturi-like. Teague obviously had flaws.
Hiring Whalen is very similar to Northwestern hiring Fitz.... a home grown star with closed eyes to actual head coaching experience... Out of the box but not anything like the out of the box Brewster hire.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Hiring Whalen is very similar to Northwestern hiring Fitz.... a home grown star with closed eyes to actual head coaching experience... Out of the box but not anything like the out of the box Brewster hire.

Brewster was definitely out of the box. But can I throw in that he made it to a bowl game in his 2nd year?

Brew hire was done for the same reasons Fleck was hired. Brew knew he was under the gun and panicked to get wins. I'm fine with Fleck but if it ends
in a similar fashion, us gopher fans should not be surprised.

“I’m not concerned with that at all,” Fleck said of the overall attendance numbers. “I think we’ve got an incredible fan base, and we have a lot of people who love and care for us … and our student section and the band. I appreciate their loyalty, and those are the ones we’re going to focus on.”

Leadership. :confused:"

What would be the right thing for him to say?..

Really?

That it bothers him. Though apparently it doesn't.

Coyle is the professional administrator, not me. If I knew how to do that job, someone would be paying me to do it. If knowing how to do better were the standard for criticizing, no one on this board could ever criticize any coach or player.

Cop out.

You’re first sentence is beyond stupid. Coyle has yet to make a mistake since he’s been here. Although I will agree that it’s him who needs to make the decision to lower prices significantly for all three major men’s sports, get rid of the donation entirely. But I’m so thankful to have Coyle running the department, for the first time in a long time we have incredibly competent leadership at the top.

Really? It was a dumb decision how he managed the firing of Claeys and hiring of Fleck. Choices may have been fine, decisions about key messages of firing and hiring were very flawed. Day to day decision-making and messaging are important.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

How about the fans who don't show up; especially the people who post on here who complain, but don't buy season tickets or ever attend a game.

I'm one of those fans. I don't buy season tickets, ONLY because the price is freaking ridiculous. (And I can't afford the ridiculous price they're asking.)

I usually attend one game a year. I practically never miss a game on TV, and usually re-watch every game 2-3 times.

I'm furious that the U clings to a preposterous pricing structure, and bemoans declining attendance. Get freaking real! Lower the prices, fill the place up, improve the experience ... and when the product has real positive traction (several consecutive seasons with 9-10 wins), then you can think about raising prices.

JTG

Top Bottom