Matz Stockman

Costa Rican Gopher

Mind of a Scientist
Reaction score
Tip of the cap to this young man. He's much better than I'd expected. No, he's not a perfect player, but he's a serviceable, 7' back-up Center & most teams don't have that luxury. Nice hands, decent offensive game, runs the floor well for his size & competes on defense. Imagine Bakary having to give us 17 minutes last night?

Yep. I wouldn't be as enthusiastic if he was our starter, but as a backup he's probably going to be one of the better backup centers in the Big Ten. And if we get a healthy Curry back at some point, he'll be one of the best backup PFs. Front line depth should keep us in a lot of games.

Yep. I wouldn't be as enthusiastic if he was our starter, but as a backup he's probably going to be one of the better backup centers in the Big Ten. And if we get a healthy Curry back at some point, he'll be one of the best backup PFs. Front line depth should keep us in a lot of games.

Curry will likely start ahead of Oturo, and that’s how it was looking prior to Curry having surgery again. He is so much better than some people her give him credit for. Much better offensively right now, from the post and perimeter. Oturo limited and inconsistent offensively, and Curry will open things up much more for Murphy. Also, allows Oturo to come in for Murph or Curry, as Curry can rotate to 4.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tip of the cap to this young man. He's much better than I'd expected. No, he's not a perfect player, but he's a serviceable, 7' back-up Center & most teams don't have that luxury. Nice hands, decent offensive game, runs the floor well for his size & competes on defense. Imagine Bakary having to give us 17 minutes last night?

Has been overshadowed by the Gabe Kalscheur show but Matz has been a very pleasant surprise through the first 5 games. He does a lot of good things out there and gives us solid minutes off the bench. He will struggle with really powerful post players but given what we have had for the past few years at the backup center position he is a massive upgrade.

Very impressed. Good passing skills and seems to understand game flow.

Forget the B1G, he might be one of the best back-up Centers in the NCAA. That may sound crazy, but try listing 10 better than him? It's a very thin position & an Achilles heal for many teams.

Sure glad that Pitino was just doing a favor for his dad! (Sarcasm)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I thought to myself during the Washington game, he's hands down better than Konate and Diedhiou ever were. How nice is it to put in a backup center and have him contribute some points, some passing and some defense.

He’s turned out exactly as I expected. My original evaluation of him at Louisville was that he had better touch than BK and was a similar level rebounder and defender. I’d say he is slightly better at rebounding and on defense because he doesn’t foul and can catch.

I hope Richard always has a 7 footer on the roster.

Yeah, I was expecting very little and Matz is a fairly skilled guy.

Tip of the cap to him, he's an important part of this team.

I agree with all of you here. He's pretty darn solid as a backup center and gives good minutes. First time seeing him play I was excited we actually have someone that can come off the bench and give some good
minutes on the front line.

I like Matz. We are lucky he didn’t/couldn’t transfer. He’ll help us all year. You cannot teach 7ft. Changes the game, works hard, seems well liked. Overall he helps us a ton. Even with Curry coming back I want to still see Matz on the floor

It was obvious to anyone that was at the scrimmage a year ago that he was going to contribute this year, a nice skillset with average mobility.

Forget the B1G, he might be one of the best back-up Centers in the NCAA. That may sound crazy, but try listing 10 better than him? It's a very thin position & an Achilles heal for many teams.
I agree - I have been pleasantly surprised as well. Very solid. Last year we were nothing without Lynch.

I agree - I have been pleasantly surprised as well. Very solid. Last year we were nothing without Lynch.

How dare you criticize the great Konate! He was awesome.....until a basketball got close to him.

Konate loved being a Gopher. I believe he worked hard and cared. Not a good player.

I preferred seeing Gaston in their before Konate; not sure why as he was probably even worse, but I thought at least he might surprise, as we pretty much know what Konate would do. (foul, turn ball over, clog up offense, ect)

Stockman moves pretty well and has good feet for his size, plus he has some shooting touch around the basket, even if he is a little more finesse than power. I think he works pretty well out there with Murphy as well.

I preferred seeing Gaston in their before Konate; not sure why as he was probably even worse, but I thought at least he might surprise, as we pretty much know what Konate would do. (foul, turn ball over, clog up offense, ect)

Stockman moves pretty well and has good feet for his size, plus he has some shooting touch around the basket, even if he is a little more finesse than power. I think he works pretty well out there with Murphy as well.

Agree. You forgot one thing: he passes well.

958179242f3e982bbf502261a9075a80.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

He was possibly the worst starting B10 center in the last 40 years; maybe ever.

I didn’t say he was good. He was proud to be a Gopher and worked hard. I respect BK. Never need to see him play again.

Ironic that Matz wanted to transfer and couldn't. Now it looks like he may become a valuable contributor to this team. Life is full of surprises.

Top Bottom