Richard Pitino please

golfing18now

Reaction score
Put me in the camp of posters that actually are pretty happy Richard Pitino is our coach. I actually thought last night was one of the better coaching jobs he has done. The Gophers looked dead in the water during the first half and were not scoring effectively. Credit to them for making significant adjustments at halftime and winning a game against a team with a pretty high ceiling this year potentially. The Gophers were trying to contain a beast inside (Dickerson) without their best option available (Curry) sitting on the bench. This year's team has won three or four games against Power 5 conference level talent by playing tough defense, rebounding the ball, and playing smart at the end of games. That makes me far more optimistic about this year's team than I would have been had they beaten five Mount St. Mary type teams by 30.

Overall, this looks like a tournament team to me. I'm also convinced this would have been a tournament team last year had Lynch's sexual bender not come back to haunt him and without the slew of injuries that occurred. Obviously I'm projecting this year and we can't redo last year but Pitino has set this team up for success the last few years, in my opinion. Recruiting mistakes haven't occurred the last few years like they did when he started. He has better depth as a result.

I'm looking forward to the rest of the year.

Put me in the camp of posters that actually are pretty happy Richard Pitino is our coach. I actually thought last night was one of the better coaching jobs he has done. The Gophers looked dead in the water during the first half and were not scoring effectively. Credit to them for making significant adjustments at halftime and winning a game against a team with a pretty high ceiling this year potentially. The Gophers were trying to contain a beast inside (Dickerson) without their best option available (Curry) sitting on the bench. This year's team has won three or four games against Power 5 conference level talent by playing tough defense, rebounding the ball, and playing smart at the end of games. That makes me far more optimistic about this year's team than I would have been had they beaten five Mount St. Mary type teams by 30.

Overall, this looks like a tournament team to me. I'm also convinced this would have been a tournament team last year had Lynch's sexual bender not come back to haunt him and without the slew of injuries that occurred. Obviously I'm projecting this year and we can't redo last year but Pitino has set this team up for success the last few years, in my opinion. Recruiting mistakes haven't occurred the last few years like they did when he started. He has better depth as a result.

I'm looking forward to the rest of the year.

+10,000. Lakes.

Pitino is also a decent person and an attribute to the University as a whole. I am pulling for him and the team 100%.

Flew on a plan out of detroit yesterday with a random MSU fan who said he really liked Richard Pitino and thought he was a good coach and hoped he did well this year. thats the perception by some average joe from a different state.

I was one of the posters not to thrilled with the Tre Williams signing, but as I iterated in that thread, I am so glad Pitino is our coach. Program is in good hands

He's put together a good team. I wonder how some of you would be reacting if we lost to Washington.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Totally agree. The quality of defense being played is totally under appreciated, allowing them to stay in the game when going through funks on offense. Also, they are being put in position to be successful offensively, but Oturo has struggled to finish consistently (teams just playing behind him now and not doubling down) and things will improve and open up significantly when Curry returns. Also, they need to make free throws, and this isn’t as simple as emphasizing it as a coach.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He's put together a good team. I wonder how some of you would be reacting if we lost to Washington.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Can't speak for everyone but had that last shot not fallen I would have been disappointed we lost but not shocked. Washington is a solid team that is probably very close to where we are at as a team. Don't think anyone in here is naive enough to believe we are not going to lose some games this year.

I'm on board with Pitino. If the team collapses and doesn't make the tournament again it may be time to look for a different coach but right now it looks like we have a solid roster that should be competitive this year.

I strongly agree with the OP! Thanks for starting a positive thread. It is a shame how much attention is given to the few haters.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I strongly agree with the OP! Thanks for starting a positive thread. It is a shame how much attention is given to the few haters.

Not everything is always daisies and sunshine. Just because there’s flaws and reason for angst doesn’t mean everyone is a hater.

Not everything is always daisies and sunshine. Just because there’s flaws and reason for angst doesn’t mean everyone is a hater.

If you cant understand that there is a middle ground and the nature of the original post is THE definition of extreme, well, we will look forward to your vote for Trump in 2020. Extreme, polarizing statements and nothing less!!

If you cant understand that there is a middle ground and the nature of the original post is THE definition of extreme, well, we will look forward to your vote for Trump in 2020. Extreme, polarizing statements and nothing less!!

If people are incapable of understanding that the original post is in contrast to another, polarizing post, we can't help them, only pity their lack of awareness.

If people are incapable of understanding that the original post is in contrast to another, polarizing post, we can't help them, only pity their lack of awareness.

By "original post" I mean the Eric Musselman post. Should have clarified that.

Fully on board with Pitino. He's a good dude, and I'm glad he's our coach.

Great topic and post OP. I'm in the camp that hopes Richard Pitino is our coach for a very long time.

100% agreed with this post. I think Pitino is a good coach, and he does things the right way when it comes to recruiting, community relations, and building up the young men of his teams (as well as he can). He's had a lot of things not go his way the last few years, and I'm confident that barring injuries this year, he'll fully show what he's capable of as a coach. Outside of coaching, he seems like an all around solid guy, so I hope he stays here for a while!

100% agreed with this post. I think Pitino is a good coach, and he does things the right way when it comes to recruiting, community relations, and building up the young men of his teams (as well as he can). He's had a lot of things not go his way the last few years, and I'm confident that barring injuries this year, he'll fully show what he's capable of as a coach. Outside of coaching, he seems like an all around solid guy, so I hope he stays here for a while!

Good post. I agree, plus he has a good sense of humor...

I have always liked Pitino and most importantly wanted him to succeed here.

I'm not convinced this is a tourney team based on the offense but I'll give them credit for wins over p5 teams. Should at least be a solid team this year.

I'm not convinced this is a tourney team based on the offense but I'll give them credit for wins over p5 teams. Should at least be a solid team this year.

I think we're all (unfortunately) used to seeing things crash and burn once B1G play starts, but I'm cautiously optimistic. If there's one thing I've learned over the last few games, this team can battle and win the close games, which is something I wouldn't have said last year. With how deep the B1G is this year, I think we're going to see a bunch of close games where key defensive stops, big rebounds, and free throws (my big concern) will make the difference... but I think this team is mentally tough, and can/will win some of those games.

By "original post" I mean the Eric Musselman post. Should have clarified that.

Never read the original post. I haven’t voted since I was 18. Thank you for trying to insult me. Keyboard warriors crack me up. Thank you for the laugh.

All in with RP. This upcoming recruiting class is a big deal for his job security.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I highly doubt Pitino's job is in any jeopardy. Are (reasonable) people blaming him for last year? The injuries are his fault? I suppose some could claim he never should have brought Lynch back to town, but I was certainly thrilled to watch him play ... right up until I learned what kind of a person he apparently is.

Pitino seems like a solid member of the community, both the U and the state as a whole, with a refreshing sense of humor. I think he's assembled a solid squad with more depth than we've had since I don't know when, and I'm excited to see what it can do.

JTG

I highly doubt Pitino's job is in any jeopardy. Are (reasonable) people blaming him for last year? The injuries are his fault? I suppose some could claim he never should have brought Lynch back to town, but I was certainly thrilled to watch him play ... right up until I learned what kind of a person he apparently is.

Pitino seems like a solid member of the community, both the U and the state as a whole, with a refreshing sense of humor. I think he's assembled a solid squad with more depth than we've had since I don't know when, and I'm excited to see what it can do.

JTG

Fully support him being here but he does need to get some special results and soon. It is year 6 and high time to contend in a real way at the top of the conference. Not 11-7 and 4 games out in 5th. Time to win and i think the roster is loaded for it and he has a far better staff then before.

Top Bottom