Congratulations Coach Fleck!

Oh Lord. Ok. I capitulate:

It’s the media. We have been futile 50 years because editors here will only hire anti-Gopher sentiment writers. That’s likely their main criteria for reporting hires. It’s just so unfair. PJ is very deep. All those complainering about “results” don’t get his true depth. Idiots. Why even to your Priest or Counselor when you have in depth analysis like Gopher Talk 101 and acronyms like HYPRR? Large metro media are solely cheerleaders for their teams (NY, Philly, Chicago come to mind), why do our people pick on us? Unfair, unfair unfair. It’s obvious we will be Elite in 2020 or whatever year PJ says we will be Elite, because he has insight nobody can see. All those people who don’t see this and can’t get on board are negative. It’s so unfair.
I’m pretty sure that you’re the only one blaming the negative media for the programs futility. The issue is not criticism, it’s the continued derisive tone of the coverage. I live in Phoenix, there are some really crappy sports teams in Phoenix, the reporters here are critical of the teams but they do not take the same glee that you see from the like of Ruesse, Souhan and Barriero in their criticisms. It gets old, I also assume it’s part of the reason none of those 3 have moved on to bigger and better things.

So people here:

dislike Reusse, but feel his made up ToTY award is legitimate to the point where they’re offended over who does or doesn’t win it.

That seems to be the case. But, going forward, I’m just blaming the media. It’s easier and you don’t have to think. Here are some others:

T-Wolves 30 years of futility = Biased and negative local media - can’t get stars to stay
Vike’s Super Bowl futility = players couldn’t concentrate with negative local media
Twin’s usual 90 to 100 game losses = no pitchers will come here with negative local media
Gopher Hockey plateau = media, media, media (except those Championship years - that’s different)
Wild = They’ve always underachieved because of our bussed media. Hurts players feelings.
Googer

That seems to be the case. But, going forward, I’m just blaming the media. It’s easier and you don’t have to think. Here are some others:

T-Wolves 30 years of futility = Biased and negative local media - can’t get stars to stay
Vike’s Super Bowl futility = players couldn’t concentrate with negative local media
Twin’s usual 90 to 100 game losses = no pitchers will come here with negative local media
Gopher Hockey plateau = media, media, media (except those Championship years - that’s different)
Wild = They’ve always underachieved because of our bussed media. Hurts players feelings.
Googer

*Gopher FB = same

Reusse thinks Fleck is a phoney. He doesn't like phoneys.

It's a free country. You are free to agree or disagree with Mr. Reusse,

Again, it's an opinion. It is not "right" or "wrong." There are people who agree with Reusse and there are people who disagree with Reusse.

I am not a Fleck "believer." I want results - not slogans. Don't tell me I'm getting a pony for Christmas. Show me the freakin' pony under the tree, and then I'll believe it.

In fairness to Fleck, it's not easy fitting a pony under a Christmas tree.

I’m pretty sure that you’re the only one blaming the negative media for the programs futility. The issue is not criticism, it’s the continued derisive tone of the coverage. I live in Phoenix, there are some really crappy sports teams in Phoenix, the reporters here are critical of the teams but they do not take the same glee that you see from the like of Ruesse, Souhan and Barriero in their criticisms. It gets old, I also assume it’s part of the reason none of those 3 have moved on to bigger and better things.

True. This is how old it's gotten. I've read 60 plus posts on this Gopherhole thread already but almost never read Reusse or Souhan anymore and only listen to KFAN in the afternoon about once a month. In short, all you Gopherholers are more interesting.

We hope for a win but all of us know the gophs will probably lose buy 25 points. It’s easy to see that year 2 was a failure. Fleck blew it with Robb smith and it will likely cost him his job. At least he dumped him. Kill should have tossed limegrover after that Kent state game. So there that. Just frustrated being at tday with badgers

I thought it would be Thibs for trading for Butler and then losing him. Or it should have been Butler. Or the Twins bosses for bad personnel decisions to date. PJ hasn't delivered but it takes him 4 years to get the team the way he wants it. I still believe and think Phat Pat should change the name of the award to Hog of the Year

Fleck blew it with Robb smith and it will likely cost him his job. At least he dumped him.

Missing on the Robb Smith hire will not cost Fleck his job.

If he misses on the next DC hire that is what will cost him his job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reusse thinks Fleck is a phoney. He doesn't like phoneys.

It's a free country. You are free to agree or disagree with Mr. Reusse,

Again, it's an opinion. It is not "right" or "wrong." There are people who agree with Reusse and there are people who disagree with Reusse.

I am not a Fleck "believer." I want results - not slogans. Don't tell me I'm getting a pony for Christmas. Show me the freakin' pony under the tree, and then I'll believe it.

That would be Christmas of 2020, right?

The right choice. Anyone being honest would agree.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I knew Fleck would be towards the top but am surprised a Butler/Thibs/Taylor combination didn't win by a landslide. I did see someone on twitter remind everyone that Taylor does own the Star Tribune so I wouldn't doubt that played into it.

I knew Fleck would be towards the top but am surprised a Butler/Thibs/Taylor combination didn't win by a landslide. I did see someone on twitter remind everyone that Taylor does own the Star Tribune so I wouldn't doubt that played into it.

Doubt Reusse cares about that at this stage of his career. He's just still drawing a salary because it requires no effort from him. It's not like back when he worried about having a job and couldn't apologize quickly enough after his column mocking female jump shot shooters.

P.J. just brings on a visceral reaction from some people. Hell, he realizes it as one of the first things he said was that he's not for everyone. Couple that with the record so far and he's fair game. But it gets old with the same bunch reminding us time after time that they don't care for P.J. Pat fits that demographic also, but at least he's never proclaimed he's a Crusader against the infidel P.J.

Butler/Thibs/Taylor is why I have minimal interest in the T-wolves. The drama of trying to win has become more important than winning.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

The ranks really don't matter. You knew Pat had to get his shot in this year in case PJ starts winning.

Speaking of leaving in droves. Reusse was let go from 1500 because his listeners and followers are gone. He may have been near retirement but he was on a sinking ship. Oars in a lifeboat would not even have saved him. Newspapers are next.

Go Gophers !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Doubt Reusse cares about that at this stage of his career. He's just still drawing a salary because it requires no effort from him. It's not like back when he worried about having a job and couldn't apologize quickly enough after his column mocking female jump shot shooters.

P.J. just brings on a visceral reaction from some people. Hell, he realizes it as one of the first things he said was that he's not for everyone. Couple that with the record so far and he's fair game. But it gets old with the same bunch reminding us time after time that they don't care for P.J. Pat fits that demographic also, but at least he's never proclaimed he's a Crusader against the infidel P.J.

I agree with that. I guess my point is the Wolves drama was much worse to most people. I feel like it's personal with Reusse for some reason (giving Fleck the finger the Wild game for example).

I agree with that. I guess my point is the Wolves drama was much worse to most people. I feel like it's personal with Reusse for some reason (giving Fleck the finger the Wild game for example).

Agree. Ruesse is just a troll and lets his personal vendetta with Fleck get in the way of reality. The Timberwolves debacle was one of the most pathetic things I’ve seen in Minnesota sports in a long time. Glen Taylor continues to show why he’s one of the worst owners in sports.

Reusse downplays Wisconsin just in case the Gophers win, which is dishonest. If the Gophers win in Madison it will be a huge victory for the program and will change the culture! Wisconsin has a good team, as always, and one of the top running backs in the nation.

Weird. After Illinois beat us, I read on here that double digit favorites getting beat weren't big deals for the winning or losing teams.

Exactly, Butler being one of the bigger Wolves head cases and that is saying a lot. For many reasons winning tomorrow would shut up predictable Pat for a day.

I will take Fleck's win over the BADgers any day if he's Turkey of the year! LOL

REUSSE = THE REAL TURKEY OF THE YEAR.

A.) For a major market area, the MN media is extremely mild in terms of “negativity”. It’s a myth - this place is NOTHING in comparison to other areas. That includes Gopher FB. A team that’s consistently this awful would just get hammered in other markets. Absolutely bludgeoned (or ignored outright). It keeps being insinuated here (year after year after year) that one of the reasons we’re so bad is “the media”. First, it’s not their place to cherry pick “positive stories” out of an otherwise awful product. Second, it’s pretty tame stuff. If these guys can’t recruit through the powder puff Twin Cities media, they’d be in bad, bad shape anywhere else. It’s such a loser excuse.

2.) Pat’s analysis in this piece had not a single factual error. PJ’s BIG record is ridiculously bad . . . He was also 2-7 against BIG schools at WM (this included a one point win against NW, and beating a terrible IL team). Hard to get too up in arms about this guy winning this “award”. Yeah, it’s the media’s fault teams hang 700 yards on us and 50 points. Enough on this lame excuse. Here’s an idea: WIN A BIG 10 ROAD GAME. MAYBE ONCE? Blaming the media has become just so tired and weak.

WE JUST DID

Top Bottom