1984: Les Steckel, Vikings

1983: Paul Giel, Gophers

1982: Billy Martin, A's/Yankees

1981: George Steinbrenner, Yankees

1980: Bobby Knight, Indiana

1979: NFL commissioner Pete Rozelle; MLB commissioner Bowie Kuhn

1978: Woody Hayes, Ohio State

Last edited:

Well, this does bring out the humorless and bitter on the board.

If the University's athletic department actually accomplished something in the revenue producing sports, then I doubt there would be as many entries on the list.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

For whatever reason, I thought he was going to pick “Gopherhole Posters” as his Turkey of the Year.
I was actually surprised that he didn’t. I’ve grown to agree with some things he writes and disagree with most things. He used to infuriate me. Now, I rarely listen to him nor do I read his articles other than the snippets posted here. It’s easy to call him Fat Pat or Fatrick or (insert any vulgarity)...... and I used to do that a lot. I finally realized.......he’s simply not worth my time of day. I don’t question his fandom, his nostalgia for the 1960 Edgerton Basketball team, nor his unwavering love for MN Town Team Baseball ........I simply choose not to care anymore about anything related to him, nor will I read his articles. I did think (based on post reading only)......he’d put posters ....as his Turkey of Year. Whatever.....he has an annual article....good for him.... Back to watching football! Happy Thanksgiving GHs!!! Ski U Mah

Yeah, my feelings are similar. I seldom read Pat anymore (includin this article) unless it involves small college or high school sports...he does get some unique stories there. He used to be a good baseball writer too. Otherwise, his constant predictable criticism of good hard-working people for their quirks simply gets old for my taste (Denny Green, Mason, Clem H., Kill/Country Jer, Fleck, etc.). If good-natured humor was inserted that would be one thing, but he turned into an old predictable curmedgeon with few interesting or humorous insights...so my interest wained. His radio show was OK because of the banter and sidekicks that could add color to his shtick. All that said, I did click on this thread and comment, so maybe his shtick is working after all.

Reusse downplays Wisconsin just in case the Gophers win, which is dishonest. If the Gophers win in Madison it will be a huge victory for the program and will change the culture! Wisconsin has a good team, as always, and one of the top running backs in the nation.

The right choice. Anyone being honest would agree.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, anyone who says establishing his culture is more important than winning games might be a worthy candidate.

Anyone hired to be an elite recruiter who ranks #50 come February might open himself to some criticism. Oh, then there is the matter of recruiting 25 guys with 13 seniors, never mind that he acknowledges those 13 seniors counting anywhere from 4 to 9 of them actually being on the roster...huh? Curious who gets booted or just gets fed up and leaves to open the other 12 slots? Both those PJ MO's might have something to do with sitting at 5 and 6 two years in a row.

The WMU coaches are still here and all the other assistants hired to establish the new PJ culture from day one have now all left. Guessing we have more turnover after this season too but PJ says we haven't won because we have had too many head coaches recently (please don't fire me) but yet he can't keep any assistant coaches to work with him here... hmm

And somehow, I really do think there is at least a chance we can beat Wisconsin just like Mr Reusse

With the schedule we have next year, if we can just play at this year's level of proficiency we will win at least 7 games next year and everybody will call it progress and be all happy we are moving the right direction. PJ took the job and looked ahead to the 2019 schedule and said, I can tell people we'll be good by then. Recently, he's extended it a little to 2020 which makes me nervous.

The right choice. Anyone being honest would agree.
Anyone with an agenda would agree. What exactly did he do that was so wrong? And how in the world would that compare to the BS we saw from Jimmy Bulter over the last couple of months?

First- Happy Thanksgiving to fellow posters. Second, Reusse loves Gopher sports but his age group has waited the longest and earned the right to be critical. We gotta get to a Rose Bowl soon and reward these folks who have been there for 40-50 years. He gave the nod to PJ cuz PR knows this thing is about to turn. It starts Saturday.....noleidnernoleidnernoleider second half.

Pat truly loves the Gophers . He’s just cynical cause he’s seen this all before.

Anyone with an agenda would agree. What exactly did he do that was so wrong? And how in the world would that compare to the BS we saw from Jimmy Bulter over the last couple of months?
He hung on to his DC for too long, thus letting the opponents get over 400 yards of offense per game.

I don't agree that Butler was an easy choice. Thibs/Taylor's actions (or lack thereof) when dealing with an obvious malcontent were far more egrigious.

He hung on to his DC for too long, thus letting the opponents get over 400 yards of offense per game.

Oh my God, that is far worse than calling out your teammates, acting like a child and demanding a trade. You are so right.

Oh my God, that is far worse than calling out your teammates, acting like a child and demanding a trade. You are so right.
Seems legit.

A.) For a major market area, the MN media is extremely mild in terms of “negativity”. It’s a myth - this place is NOTHING in comparison to other areas. That includes Gopher FB. A team that’s consistently this awful would just get hammered in other markets. Absolutely bludgeoned (or ignored outright). It keeps being insinuated here (year after year after year) that one of the reasons we’re so bad is “the media”. First, it’s not their place to cherry pick “positive stories” out of an otherwise awful product. Second, it’s pretty tame stuff. If these guys can’t recruit through the powder puff Twin Cities media, they’d be in bad, bad shape anywhere else. It’s such a loser excuse.

2.) Pat’s analysis in this piece had not a single factual error. PJ’s BIG record is ridiculously bad . . . He was also 2-7 against BIG schools at WM (this included a one point win against NW, and beating a terrible IL team). Hard to get too up in arms about this guy winning this “award”. Yeah, it’s the media’s fault teams hang 700 yards on us and 50 points. Enough on this lame excuse. Here’s an idea: WIN A BIG 10 ROAD GAME. MAYBE ONCE? Blaming the media has become just so tired and weak.

Maybe I misunderstand what the TofTY is, but I would suspect anyone who has spent 2-years spewing nonsense and making excuses for continuously underachieving in virtually every aspect would qualify well.

Maybe I misunderstand what the TofTY is, but I would suspect anyone who has spent 2-years spewing nonsense and making excuses for continuously underachieving in virtually every aspect would qualify well.

So Fleck hasn’t lived up to your standards therefore he has underachieved in virtually every aspect.

Thankful those making the decisions about his job performance aren’t on your continuing crusade and are willing to give him more time.

So Fleck hasn’t lived up to your standards therefore he has underachieved in virtually every aspect.

<b>Thankful those making the decisions about his job performance aren’t on your continuing crusade and are willing to give him more time. </b>

Yep. Fully agree. He needs more time.

A.) For a major market area, the MN media is extremely mild in terms of “negativity”. It’s a myth - this place is NOTHING in comparison to other areas. That includes Gopher FB. A team that’s consistently this awful would just get hammered in other markets. Absolutely bludgeoned (or ignored outright). It keeps being insinuated here (year after year after year) that one of the reasons we’re so bad is “the media”. First, it’s not their place to cherry pick “positive stories” out of an otherwise awful product. Second, it’s pretty tame stuff. If these guys can’t recruit through the powder puff Twin Cities media, they’d be in bad, bad shape anywhere else. It’s such a loser excuse.

2.) Pat’s analysis in this piece had not a single factual error. PJ’s BIG record is ridiculously bad . . . He was also 2-7 against BIG schools at WM (this included a one point win against NW, and beating a terrible IL team). Hard to get too up in arms about this guy winning this “award”. Yeah, it’s the media’s fault teams hang 700 yards on us and 50 points. Enough on this lame excuse. Here’s an idea: WIN A BIG 10 ROAD GAME. MAYBE ONCE? Blaming the media has become just so tired and weak.
We are bad under pj of this is no doubt but some feel he gives us a chance to be better than a nine win team

Bottom line is that we didn't expect this kind of underperformance coming from a team that won 9 games the previous year. You can make excuses, explanations and platitudes, but it needs to show up on the field.

Bottom line is that we didn't expect this kind of underperformance coming from a team that won 9 games the previous year. You can make excuses, explanations and platitudes, but it needs to show up on the field.

Exactly. And for God’s sake let’s stop whining about the media in this town. This is a major market. People are making HUGE $$ on it. The Gopher FB product is bad; the media in a major market sports arena (who, btw way, are in the entertainment industry) ARE going to report it as such. This is NOT the high school newspaper. It’s so silly. If PJ stops acting like Dan Aykroyd selling the Bass-O-Matic on SNL, quits getting his butt handed to him, and has good, decent BIG games - then he doesn’t win TofTY. This whining just makes us out to be naive and petty.

Exactly. And for God’s sake let’s stop whining about the media in this town. This is a major market. People are making HUGE $$ on it. The Gopher FB product is bad; the media in a major market sports arena (who, btw way, are in the entertainment industry) ARE going to report it as such. This is NOT the high school newspaper. It’s so silly. If PJ stops acting like Dan Aykroyd selling the Bass-O-Matic on SNL, quits getting his butt handed to him, and has good, decent BIG games - then he doesn’t win TofTY. This whining just makes us out to be naive and petty.
Hmmm.... Lou Holtz was a ToTY winner in 1985. Doesn't *that* give anyone in the hamster wheel a clue?

How many big markets have you lived in to compare?

The Strib needs to sell papers and subscriptions. It's is a business not a well-meaning public service. A Reusse column annointing Jimmy Butler as Turkey of the Year (deserved) gets a ho hum. Instead, a column blasting Fleck gets attention and controversy, deserved or not. After all, you wouldn't expect the media to be objective, right?

Oh Lord. Ok. I capitulate:

It’s the media. We have been futile 50 years because editors here will only hire anti-Gopher sentiment writers. That’s likely their main criteria for reporting hires. It’s just so unfair. PJ is very deep. All those complainering about “results” don’t get his true depth. Idiots. Why even to your Priest or Counselor when you have in depth analysis like Gopher Talk 101 and acronyms like HYPRR? Large metro media are solely cheerleaders for their teams (NY, Philly, Chicago come to mind), why do our people pick on us? Unfair, unfair unfair. It’s obvious we will be Elite in 2020 or whatever year PJ says we will be Elite, because he has insight nobody can see. All those people who don’t see this and can’t get on board are negative. It’s so unfair.

. . . Oh, and apparently the only way one could read other market’s sports reporting is “if you have lived there”. If you haven’t lived there - how could you possibly know what is reported in other cities? There’s like no way to know. I know, for example, when I get over 50 miles away from home, I have NO idea what’s written here. People are so negative.

Hmmm.... Lou Holtz was a ToTY winner in 1985. Doesn't *that* give anyone in the hamster wheel a clue?

So people here dislike Reusse, but feel his made up ToTY award is legitimate to the point where they’re offended over who does or doesn’t win it.

So people here dislike Reusse, but feel his made up ToTY award is legitimate to the point where they’re offended over who does or doesn’t win it.

Not offended. More of an inner "eye roll" because everyone knows its an obvious ploy to grab attention. Just more typical bullcrap spouted by our illustrious media.

I like Reusse. Holtz being 1985 ToTY and Fleck being 2018 ToTY shows consistency.

Top Bottom