Eric Musselman please

The vast majority of of the fanbase is happy with the start to the season. But there will always be the handful of aholes that are either fans of another team trying to tick people off or they are just really negative people who always look for the bad side of things. They are always really vocal on anonymous message boards because they can spew whatever stupidity they feel like with no repercussions.

We should all just ignore them but of course that is nearly impossible to do.

Hey, I'm always happy with the gopher football teams 3-0 starts also. Then the big 10 schedule happens.

I'm giving up because our offense sucks balls.

Good thing defense wins championships. Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Also only a few BIG schools play zone defense and those that do have not had great offenses so it'll be grind them out first to 65 point game just like we just won.

As you have given up now please don't come back here.

Good thing defense wins championships. Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Also only a few BIG schools play zone defense and those that do have not had great offenses so it'll be grind them out first to 65 point game just like we just won.

As you have given up now please don't come back here.

Goldteam, you're done here. You just said it yourself. Maintain a strand of self-respect and integrity and honor your promise to leave. Buh-bye

Everybody has that friend who when they say something incredibly stupid, they get stubborn and refuse to listen to reason. They usually are so stupid they double down on their arguments and dig a hole so dep they can never get out.

Just a thought I had, unrelated to anything happening in this thread.

Ban this idiot.

Utah, Texas A&M, Washington. Who do you think we are going to run into during the Big Ten season? The '95 Bulls?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

This, agree.

These aren't cupcake opponents, I can't see how anyone can not be satisfied so far

Hey, I'm always happy with the gopher football teams 3-0 starts also. Then the big 10 schedule happens.

You have used that football team line a few times....I think you think it proves something that it doesn't as the situations are totally different.

Nobody is planning the parade route or getting the players sized for rings based on these first 5 games. But you are just going to have to forgive all us naive people that actually want to let the team play some conference teams before giving up on the season.

For all of you who say Pitino is a good recruiter...he was. I follow extremely close. However, we have one recruit...low 3 star for 2019. Recruits no longer buy in. 2018 was a good class. However, we couldn’t land a single recruit after August after a good year prior. He is going to be 0 for a lot in MN 2017 and 2019 classes...will admit did good job in 2015,2016, and 2018 for MN though. But point is recruits are starting to not buy in anymore. Also his roster management over the years has sucked. Last year we needed a post or shooter with grad transfer. What do we do? We go out and get a sit out transfer. If we get sit out transfer they better be a big time contributor. Let’s here how stupid I am now and how I know nothing about basketball. Would love to hear it

Your points are valid. Many posters, like me, also see positives with this coach and team and react to the illogic of picking names of who should be our next coach just 5 won games into the season. I think more of us would respond favorably to Goldteam if his thread would have been begun toward the end of a 2018-19 season that had gone the wrong way.

Just to put this in a little perspective.

https://kenpom.com/index.php

Can't ask for better than 5-0 but you also can't really make an argument that we've had a tough schedule either.

I think the non-conference schedule would have looked pretty tough when it was being negotiated. Utah, A&M, and OK ST have all had some pretty good teams and players in the last 10 years. Washington was expected to do well this year and Boston College has been improving recently. So far we may have caught Utah and A&M in down years and a Washington team that hasn't really jelled so far. We have our issues, too, but we've had enough to get the wins.

We've had a number of non-conference schedules where we've played two or three power conference teams in 13 games. This year we face 5 power conference teams in 11 games.

Last edited:

I see the basketball board is pretty much like the football board. Get rid of the coach, recruiting bad players, get a life etc.

I'm giving up because our offense sucks balls.

They were playing a zone last night against us and we stand on the perimeter and no one moves. We have no movement at all.

Against the taller and better big 10 teams, this will not work. It's as if mcbrayer and coffey are the same as when they were freshman, if not worse.

I'm basing this off our offense looking disoriented. If it isn't someone driving off balance and throwing one up, or murphy using brute force, we pretty much have nothing.

It won't work. You've seen this movie before here.

You realize this is why some mediocre Syracuse teams have made runs in recent NCAA Tourneys, right? Because teams seeing that style of zone for the first time ALWAYS struggle. The ACC teams who see it a lot end up doing okay against it. Washington uses the Syracuse zone, has great length and the Pac 12 Defensive Player of the Year, so SHOCKING the Gophers (playing a third game in four days, an afternoon game after a night game) may have struggled against it. Just a stunning development.

The fact Pitino got his guys adjusted and they put up 48 second half points should be encouraging, NOT discouraging. My lord.

Gophers averaging 80 points per game - against three Power 6 teams known for good defense (A&M, Utah, Wash) - and you think the offense stinks.

Can this team use improvements in all areas? Of course. But, why Gopher fans can't simply enjoy a team when its winning is a baffling situation.

And, there they will be sitting, just hoping for a meltdown, so they can come find this thread in February and throw us a nice big **** burger to eat and really be satisfied with themselves. What a way to go through life.

Last edited:

This is a weird thread. I feel like we should, at a minimum, wait until the team loses a game before calling for the coach's head. We are 5-0. Couldn't be any better than we have been so far. If we miss the tournament, Pitino will be replaced, but that doesn't matter because this is a tournament team.

Utah just lost to Hawaii and will be a bottom feeder in the PAC. A&M will be a bottom feeder in the SEC. Washington will maybe sneak into the NCAAs at best - probably an NIT team.

Cynicism should reign until this team proves something in conference play.

And yes, you can be happy that we beat what was in front of us on our schedule while also being cynical about the big picture.

Nuance is a novel concept, I know. Don't need to be goldy pocket protectors no matter what.

Last edited:

Cynicism should reign until this team proves something in conference play.

And yes, you can be happy that we beat what was in front of us on our schedule while also being cynical about the big picture.

Given what has happened in three of the previous five years of Pitino's coaching tenure, cynicism isn't an unreasonable perspective. As much as I'm enjoying this start, I couldn't imagine being a full-throttle optimist.

I see the basketball board is pretty much like the football board. Get rid of the coach, recruiting bad players, get a life etc.

I think the poll on the football board is currently 8,732 to 1 in in favor of keeping Fleck.

Given what has happened in three of the previous five years of Pitino's coaching tenure, cynicism isn't an unreasonable perspective. As much as I'm enjoying this start, I couldn't imagine being a full-throttle optimist.

Nobody is saying we should build a statue for Pitino or give him a lifetime contract based on the 5-0 start. It is clear this team has lots to improve on and will have to play better in order to do well in the Big Ten.

The only thing at issue here is the small group of people like Goldteam that want to fire the coach now which is just foolish when the team is sitting at 5-0. You may be certain a collapse is coming (it is the Minnesota fan way after all to assume the worst is going to happen because often it does) but you have to at least give the team and coach a chance to fail before calling for change.

If the team fails to make the Tournament again there will be no shortage of people ready to get rid of Pitino and try something else....but it is November and the team is undefeated so I don't know.....maybe wait until we are sure they actually are not going to make the tournament before just throwing in the towel and assuming the worst....just a thought.

I think the poll on the football board is currently 8,732 to 1 in in favor of keeping Fleck.

As it should be because that was a stupid poll when you are talking about a coach that hasn't even finished year 2. But that doesn't cover up the excessive amount of negativity on the football board.

You would think you could come over to the basketball board where the team is off to a good start to find some positivity but nope, same negative crap for the most part although probably not quite as bad yet. Have to wait till we lose the first game before the trolls can go full negative.

It is what it is...there are always going to be those that are only happy when they can cut other people down and make fun of things. It is the beauty of the internet, you can be hateful and spiteful while hiding behind a screen name.

You have used that football team line a few times....I think you think it proves something that it doesn't as the situations are totally different.

Nobody is planning the parade route or getting the players sized for rings based on these first 5 games. But you are just going to have to forgive all us naive people that actually want to let the team play some conference teams before giving up on the season.
I am not a follower of the football team. But I would love for them to have a good year so the football fans wouldn't show up on the basketball board completely dispirited and beaten. The beginning of a season is a time for optimism, or why bother.

As it should be because that was a stupid poll when you are talking about a coach that hasn't even finished year 2. But that doesn't cover up the excessive amount of negativity on the football board.

You would think you could come over to the basketball board where the team is off to a good start to find some positivity but nope, same negative crap for the most part although probably not quite as bad yet. Have to wait till we lose the first game before the trolls can go full negative.

It is what it is...there are always going to be those that are only happy when they can cut other people down and make fun of things. It is the beauty of the internet, you can be hateful and spiteful while hiding behind a screen name.

You think there is an excessive amount of negativity on the football board? I'm sorry but that is delusional. There are a handful of people who don't completely drink the Kool-Aid, but given the circumstances, you'd have a hard time finding a more positive message board.

We are the fans of a bad program, in the middle of a meh year "followed" by an apathetic fan base. Considering those facts, our board is a ray of sunshine. Hop over to other boards around the country, and see how they are acting.

Gopherhole is great, but if we are anything, we are eternally optimists. If people have negative opinions, especially unwarranted ones, those OPs generally get smashed (see this thread). That's pretty rare for an athletic department with as many struggles as ours.

You think there is an excessive amount of negativity on the football board? I'm sorry but that is delusional. There are a handful of people who don't completely drink the Kool-Aid, but given the circumstances, you'd have a hard time finding a more positive message board.

We are the fans of a bad program, in the middle of a meh year "followed" by an apathetic fan base. Considering those facts, our board is a ray of sunshine. Hop over to other boards around the country, and see how they are acting.

Gopherhole is great, but if we are anything, we are eternally optimists. If people have negative opinions, especially unwarranted ones, those OPs generally get smashed (see this thread). That's pretty rare for an athletic department with as many struggles as ours.

It is always a small percentage of the posters that feel the need to be negative all the time. The problem is that small group is also very vocal and inserts themselves into every single thread on the football side.

I have never had a problem with people having different opinions. I get sick of the posters that just post negative comments and one liners but don't have anything meaningful to bring to the table.

Wisconsin lost by 6 to number 4 Virginia.And Michigan st beat Texas

Are we assuming Musselman would want this job? Couldn’t he get an high profile job that opens up?

Wisconsin lost by 7 to number 4 Virginia.And Michigan st beat Texas

Not sure why you chose to post this on this thread. Whatever the reason, the WI had to be a hideous game to watch. Final score 53-46, with that score 7 may as well be 12

The Wisconsin game will be telling, they will have four weeks to prepare for Happ, if they can't keep him down around 12 points it could be a long season, they don't have to win but they should be able to keep it close and contain Happ in the process, that would tell me Pitino is able to create and execute a game plan successfully.

The Wisconsin game will be telling, they will have four weeks to prepare for Happ, if they can't keep him down around 12 points it could be a long season, they don't have to win but they should be able to keep it close and contain Happ in the process, that would tell me Pitino is able to create and execute a game plan successfully.

Took me a little bit to figure out why you would think they would have that much time to devote to stopping Happ. Play Nebraska on Dec 5th and Wisconsin on January 3rd with cupcakes in between so yeah your take makes sense. Although they won't be able to totally dismiss the games in between, we should have enough talent to win those games as long as we play decent.

It is always a small percentage of the posters that feel the need to be negative all the time. The problem is that small group is also very vocal and inserts themselves into every single thread on the football side.

I have never had a problem with people having different opinions. I get sick of the posters that just post negative comments and one liners but don't have anything meaningful to bring to the table.

excellent summation!

Hm reason we lost...we played like crap in games we won too and I’m the crazy one getting mad I guess. We lost to a bad Boston college

I’m pretty reasonable too. I’ve always thought fleck was a good coach even when we were struggling

a big difference between Fleck and Pitino is which coach is improving the level of play of his players

I was a watch and see with Fleck and he has taking small step forward and doing the right thing (ala firing a coach he hired) But Richard has not improved the play of any of his players. Free Throws are horrible and that is a lack of concentration which comes down from the top

There is nothing I woudl like to see than a Gopher Basketball team playing hard and competing. but through the games this season I only see 1-2 guys playing hard and competing. and those are the younger kids.

the upper classmen lack leadership and the desire to play hard.

Some have posted that Pitino is good at x's and o's Sorry but I dont see it. his offense is 6th grade level and his defense is lazy. that combination win or lose a game really shows the level of the coach

As for Muss, well i have heard from people in Reno he is very happy there and that quality of life is important to him and his wife. \My guess is that we dont have the budget to pull him into a cold environment to play in the mid level of the big ten

Top Bottom