Eric Musselman please

Not having discipline to get post entries is on Pitino. You should get that across in practice. Bad shot selections from Dupree who is a senior is 100 percent on Pitino for allowing it

I don't think he did "allow" it. It was quite noteworthy that McBrayer did not play a ton of minutes in the second half today.

They're projected to be one of the top 3-4 teams in the Pac 12

This.

Washington has two losses now. One to us and one to Auburn who lost to Duke by 6 points. The Huskies have done nothing to make us think that they wont't be a top 5 team in th Pac-12 thus far. Why is it so hard for this fan base to just be happy with a win over a solid program smh...

Even if both Gonzaga and Wisconsin are both top 50 in wins all time in college basketball? what will it take for them to be both bluebloods? 10 more ncaa tournaments more sweet 16s elite 8s or final fours maybe a title or 2.Wisconsin has one national title from 1941.Wisconsin has as many final fours as Arizona with 4 thats tied for 10th all time in college basketball. Did you know Arizona is 2-5 all time vs Wisconsin all time in basketball.Wisconsin had injuries last year.Gonzaga and Wisconsin modern bluebloods the last 20 years?

Last edited:

Even if both Gonzaga and Wisconsin are both top 50 in wins all time in college basketball? what will it take for them to be both bluebloods? 10 more ncaa tournaments more sweet 16s elite 8s or final fours maybe a title or 2.Wisconsin has one national title from 1941.Wisconsin has as many final fours as Arizona with 4 thats tied for 10th all time in college basketball. Did you know Arizona is 2-5 all time vs Wisconsin all time in basketball.Wisconsin had injuries last year.Gonzaga and Wisconsin modern bluebloods the last 20 years?

LOL. Do you have the UW fight song on repeat? Just remember that it was actually supposed to start "Minnesota, MINNeSOta...." Wisconsin is a fine place, with many fine people. It's also best known for its serial killers and necrophilia. Stay proud.

Last edited:

Not having discipline to get post entries is on Pitino. You should get that across in practice.
WTF are you talking about? The ball was in the paint over-and-over-and-over the past 2 games. The conversion rate was not high, but not because it wasn’t there.

This thread is ridiculous. I've been a Gopher basketball fan my entire life. I bleed maroon and gold. If you agree with this topic right now, you are asking and hoping for the Gophers to fail. You are not a fan of this program. If you want to make this thread in the offseason if the Gophers miss the postseason, then so be it. However, this team is now 5-0. It's going to take some time for them to jell, especially since we currently rely on three freshman. While not always playing pretty basketball, they have defeated three power-five programs in the process. If you hate Pitino and love Musselman so much, get off Gopherhole, subscribe to the Mountain West network (if there is one), and cheer for Nevada.

Last edited:

This is after a win. Imagine this place when the Gophers actually lose a game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Total weirdo thread...just shows there are real nut jobs on this board

Ban this idiot.

Utah, Texas A&M, Washington. Who do you think we are going to run into during the Big Ten season? The '95 Bulls?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Oh. And wisconsin sucks and should fire their coach. They only beat Stampferd.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I don't blame people for knee-jerking to negativity after a bad half based on our track record over the years.

Can't fault fans for being conditioned cynics.

Hey true Gopher fans. As Mark Twain said it...."Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience." The first few posters of this thread prove that Twain was right on. Remove this thread....Geez!!!!

Wisconsin in the same conversation as Kansas, Duke, Kentucky, UNC, etc.?

Don't embarrass yourself. They are nowhere close to being brought up in the same conversation as the schools listed above. Only in WI would they even consider WI in the same 'league' as these other schools.

Has WI played great ball the last 10 years? Absolutely, but they have a VERY long way to go before they are considered the "class of college basketball" like the teams above.

I didn’t realize that people thus stupid could figure out how to start a thread, let alone type or use the internet.

GH needs a dose of troll repellent.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Don't embarrass yourself. They are nowhere close to being brought up in the same conversation as the schools listed above. Only in WI would they even consider WI in the same 'league' as these other schools.

Has WI played great ball the last 10 years? Absolutely, but they have a VERY long way to go before they are considered the "class of college basketball" like the teams above.

It has been 20 years but UW is no where blue blood. Top 10 program over that time. It will be like that here among fans if we have one conference title but it takes several to be a national power. Put together multiple 30 win seasons and multiple conference titles and your still short of blue blood. FYI, UW is really good this year.

I didn’t realize that people thus stupid could figure out how to start a thread, let alone type or use the internet.

The only upside of this thread is that it prompted my son in Chicago to contact me to ask what the f is wrong with the GH. Always good to hear from the kids.

Yes, that is correct. Those other schools are top flight destinations independent of any particular coach. Kansas, KY, and UNC have been elite programs through generations and different coaches. While Duke has not, Coach K has been around long enough and has been successful enough that he probably has solidified his program as an institution that will continue to be an elite program after he retires.

Wisconsin made a great decision around the turn of the century to hire a coach who had spent years in the lower ranks learning his craft and who turned out to be a Hall of Fame coach. But, he never made Wisconsin a truly elite destination like those other schools. His successor appears to be doing pretty well (despite last year) but probably isn't likely to duplicate Ryan's success. There are numerous schools (like Houston, Oregon State, UNLV) who have had great success under particular coaches (Guy Lewis, Ralph Miller, Jerry Tarkanian) but haven't been able to continue that same level of success after those coaches.

This.

Washington has two losses now. One to us and one to Auburn who lost to Duke by 6 points. The Huskies have done nothing to make us think that they wont't be a top 5 team in th Pac-12 thus far. Why is it so hard for this fan base to just be happy with a win over a solid program smh...

The vast majority of of the fanbase is happy with the start to the season. But there will always be the handful of aholes that are either fans of another team trying to tick people off or they are just really negative people who always look for the bad side of things. They are always really vocal on anonymous message boards because they can spew whatever stupidity they feel like with no repercussions.

We should all just ignore them but of course that is nearly impossible to do.

The vast majority of of the fanbase is happy with the start to the season. But there will always be the handful of aholes that are either fans of another team trying to tick people off or they are just really negative people who always look for the bad side of things. They are always really vocal on anonymous message boards because they can spew whatever stupidity they feel like with no repercussions.

We should all just ignore them but of course that is nearly impossible to do.

Yes your right. There will actually be fans that rail on the program if they get to a sweet 16 and win the conference because they are the kind of people who always find something to complain about. Every fan base has them.

If the team fails to make the NCAA tournament this year it may be time to cut the cord but now is a stupid time to be giving up and starting a thread about a replacement coach. The team is 5-0, just won 3 games in 4 days in spite of not playing great overall and has knocked off 3 teams from power 5 conferences.

Clearly they are going to lose games and this is not a top 10 team but how about giving them a chance to fail before throwing in the towel based on how you think they are going to play in conference games. They are breaking in 3 freshmen and some new faces, it takes teams time to gel and get to a point where they really start playing well together. Most will choose to be encouraged that they are finding ways to win in spite of not playing great. But hey, maybe you will get the chance in a few months to come in here and say you were right way back in November. I'm sure that will be a very special day for you.

Most sensible post in this thread. There definitely are reasons to be concerned with this team and the coaching but, for the time being, the team is off to a good start and we should enjoy that as long as we can. If and when a collapse comes, there will be plenty of time to talk about coaching replacements.

Having said that, I don't understand the vitriol and calls for banning hurled at the poster starting this thread. Some people must have a very delicate psyche if they are so upset by a contrarian poster on a sports thread.

Have you read the comments section on pretty much any site? The stupid people rule the internet because they can say anything they want. It is shocking to see the level of hate and negativity that is out there. The problem comes in when the rational people (the vast majority of us) try to reason with the morons....it never works and we just end up getting frustrated....just have to remember this is a small but very vocal group that does not represent the thoughts of the majority of people.

For all of you who say Pitino is a good recruiter...he was. I follow extremely close. However, we have one recruit...low 3 star for 2019. Recruits no longer buy in. 2018 was a good class. However, we couldn’t land a single recruit after August after a good year prior. He is going to be 0 for a lot in MN 2017 and 2019 classes...will admit did good job in 2015,2016, and 2018 for MN though. But point is recruits are starting to not buy in anymore. Also his roster management over the years has sucked. Last year we needed a post or shooter with grad transfer. What do we do? We go out and get a sit out transfer. If we get sit out transfer they better be a big time contributor. Let’s here how stupid I am now and how I know nothing about basketball. Would love to hear it

What I have noticed is that it seems we are improving in the areas of rebounding, defending the perimeter, and just overall defense. Yes the turnovers, free throw % and half court offense needs to improve, but we are only 5 games in. There are nights where you need to win ugly. I also think Pitino is improving. I like how we mixed in full court pressure/ zone man to man. Also, how they came out in the second half yesterday that is coaching. There is a lot to be excited about with this team especially when we get Curry back.

Let's not.
This is precisely the challenge with internet discussion. The vocal dissatisfied like to direct the conversation with their negative analysis, continually inviting those who see it differently to disprove them. Dead end conversations but fun for those who thrive on argument.
You're doing a good enough job demonstrating your level of insight all by yourself.
Happy Thanksgiving.

For all of you who say Pitino is a good recruiter...he was. I follow extremely close. However, we have one recruit...low 3 star for 2019. Recruits no longer buy in. 2018 was a good class. However, we couldn’t land a single recruit after August after a good year prior. He is going to be 0 for a lot in MN 2017 and 2019 classes...will admit did good job in 2015,2016, and 2018 for MN though. But point is recruits are starting to not buy in anymore. Also his roster management over the years has sucked. Last year we needed a post or shooter with grad transfer. What do we do? We go out and get a sit out transfer. If we get sit out transfer they better be a big time contributor. Let’s here how stupid I am now and how I know nothing about basketball. Would love to hear it

Ultimately "0 for MN" does not matter at all. People love to harp on it. Also the 2019 class is not complete. After a solid season, I expect us to round out a solid spring class. What you are failing to recognize is that we have an ACC-level starting PG (Carr) and an SEC shooting guard (Willis) who will - essentially - be part of that 2019 class next season. Both Top 150 recruits.

Wisconsin a blueblood? You want to compare them to Duke, kansas, and Michigan state? I'll give you that they have been consistent and gotten them to a good program now, but Wisconsin was a dog crap program up until bo ryan started coaching. They were a .500 program until bo ryan started coaching them. Wisconsin's lifetime record is like 260 games over .500. That's pretty much what Bo Ryan was as a coach at Wisconsin. Am I jealous of what they've been last 18 years absolutely! I'm not ready to put them in a Duke or kansas category quite yet.

I'm giving up because our offense sucks balls.

They were playing a zone last night against us and we stand on the perimeter and no one moves. We have no movement at all.

Against the taller and better big 10 teams, this will not work. It's as if mcbrayer and coffey are the same as when they were freshman, if not worse.

I'm basing this off our offense looking disoriented. If it isn't someone driving off balance and throwing one up, or murphy using brute force, we pretty much have nothing.

It won't work. You've seen this movie before here.

5-0 with 3 wins over power 5 teams.

Fire the coach!

Just to put this in a little perspective.

https://kenpom.com/index.php

Gophers opponents collectively rank 128th in offense, 159th in defense and our strength of schedule is 139th. The gophers currently have the 45th best offense and 53rd best defense.

Can't ask for better than 5-0 but you also can't really make an argument that we've had a tough schedule either.

Top Bottom