***OFFICIAL MINNESOTA VS WASHINGTON IN-GAME THREAD!!!!***

But only down 5 at the half...game is far from over

If we shoot only 30% and make only 75% of our FT we would be leading by 6. This is a horrible offensive show. Hopefully the second half will be a good one. We don't have any steals and UW gets every loose ball. Show some energy this half guys!

26% from the field, 16% from behind the arc, 46% from the free throw line, AND 10 turnovers... yet we're only down 5. Pretty incredible really haha.

We'll see what kind of 2nd half adjustments this team can make. Absolutely HAVE to take better care of the ball, get inside their zone, get Murphy some touches (0 FG attempts in the 1st half?!) and make free throws. Let's go, Gophers!

Yeah...37% FGM and 50%FTM ain't gonna cut it

More about style.

Not even playing basketball. Playing to get fouled rather than playing through contact.

Soft as hell.

26% from the field, 16% from behind the arc, 46% from the free throw line, AND 10 turnovers... yet we're only down 5. Pretty incredible really haha.

We'll see what kind of 2nd half adjustments this team can make. Absolutely HAVE to take better care of the ball, get inside their zone, get Murphy some touches (0 FG attempts in the 1st half?!) and make free throws. Let's go, Gophers!

And like that announcer said at halftime....maybe have Gabe shoot a few times.

Can free throws be that difficult - omeroso playing more than 5 minutes a game is a killer for us - gotta get some looks for kelsher - Big guys are throwing up rocks inside 10 feet i will say we play good defense but c-mon shoot the damn ball!!!

They don’t have shooters and unless there is a transfer we all don’t know about they won’t have one.

Whatever....Kalscheur, Mcbrayer, and Stull can all hit 3s. This is the teams 3rd games in 4 days, both teams are struggling to make baskets in this one. Step back from the ledge, this isn't going to be a great team but they will be solid.

After ball movement the lane is wide open just inside FT line. I would break Coffey/McBrayer/Gabe to that spot for an easy jumper. Murph and Oturu could clean up any misses. Let's see if they go to that option in the second half.

And like that announcer said at halftime....maybe have Gabe shoot a few times.

Agreed. Gabe is the hot hand of this team right now; if he can get some touches/drop a few 3s, I think we can better attack their zone. But as it stands right now, we're not attacking it well from the interior or exterior. Hope to see those changes in the 2nd half!

After ball movement the lane is wide open just inside FT line. I would break Coffey/McBrayer/Gabe to that spot for an easy jumper. Murph and Oturu could clean up any misses. Let's see if they go to that option in the second half.

Well hire this guy I guess

1. Bad shooting can be contagious, and the whole team currently has it.

2a. Their spacing isn't helping. First of all, anytime they face a zone-based defense, they need to load up the offense with shooters. At all times there need to be at least two 3-point shooters to spread that zone out. By doing so that opens up the inside for Murphy and others. But their spacing is poor. They are not spread far enough outside and the passing is slow, ball movement is continually halted by someone not willing to keep the ball moving. The ball receivers should be in the holes, instead, they are often lined up straight against the defenders. No one is breaking to the open spots with any consistency.

2b. While IW is probably a guy you want to play against straight up man D, when you need outside shooting, he should be on the bench (until he proves he can shoot). Meanwhile, they should be using Gabe, Coffey, McBrayer and Stull as guys who can drain the deep shot.

3. They try too hard to block shots instead of just box out. This is especially true, but not limited to, Omersa. They need to stay on their feet and position their body instead of just getting juked into the air.

4. For his relative size, IW does not move his feet well on D or on O. He stands straight up on D and so his feet are slow, and he gets beat to the hole often. If his knees were bent and he was shuffling, he could start to make some steals. He's rarely up in anyone's grill, and they either go around him or over him.

5. Our guys hold onto the ball too long when driving/shooting. This is particularly true for Coffey and IW. At least the former forces fouls, but he'd finish more if he were shooting on the way up instead of on the way down. IW is jumping out of control and getting blocked.

6. I haven't seen the reasons why, yet, Stull isn't getting more playing time. He at least looks fundamentally sound. They need fundamentally sound players on the floor, because other than Kalscheur and sometimes Murphy/Oturu/Hurt, it's not clear there are any.

7. Instead, it's a squad of "athletes", and I'm getting concerned at the simple mistakes that they make. That said, they are a squad of talented athletes. Whether they put this together or not will determine whether they make a run in the B1G and head into the top 25 or fall off to the bottom. The general talent is there and it's deep; but it's not clear if the pieces fit and if they are optimizing their talents.

Last edited:

How has Gabe not had more three-point looks?
Why not try Coffey in the middle of the zone with shooters (Gabe/Stull) on wings?
Don't play Omersa in the 2nd half. He does nothing. No instintincs, no defense, no hands.
How many times can Isaiah get his s*** beat and still not learn?

So frustrating. The big ten will be a bloodbath.

The Gophers aren't going to beat many good teams this year.

Both teams are awful. The big guy for UW is having his way. Unless a couple of Gophers start making their shots, we lose by 20.

This is ugly yet again. Wins will be tough in conference.

They keep running Oturu up to the FT line to set a screen. Why???? Keep him and Murph down low and break the offside player just inside the lane. It will open up the outside shot, too. It's getting very frustrating to watch. There has been no offensive adjustment whatsoever this half from the first half.

I would strongly recommend that metal backboards be installed at the Barn. Might save some $$ replacing broken backboards from the bricks.

This is ugly yet again. Wins will be tough in conference.

It's hard to imagine they will continue to shoot around 30% from the field and 50% from the line. They do look out of sync and need IW to figure it out soon. I like Pitino but we do not seem to recruit many pure shooters.

It's hard to imagine they will continue to shoot around 30% from the field and 50% from the line. They do look out of sync and need IW to figure it out soon. I like Pitino but we do not seem to recruit many pure shooters.

Hard to imagine? Not based on what I have seen the last few days along with progressively better defenses from opponents.

Why does it seem like the Gophers are always baffled playing against a zone? We dribble too much and line up right with the defenders instead of attacking the seams of the zone. Pass the ball, hit the high post, and have somebody there who can hit a 12 foot shot. With the way we've been shooting, I'd really like to see Kalscheur and Stull in the game to bust the zone. But you've got to have a point that can move the ball.

Top Bottom