***OFFICIAL MINNESOTA VS WASHINGTON IN-GAME THREAD!!!!***

You can see Washington has the talent, but he just has to calm down and adjust to college ball... Hopefully he learns this year.

I was thinking before the final possession that Gabe would be the guy I'd trust to take a last second shot the most on this team. Mostly due to his shooting ability, but also his demeanor and decision making. He doesn't seem to let the moment get too big for him unlike most people.

One of the worst halves I've ever seen was followed up by one of the most entertaining and gritty halves.

I think you have to credit Pitino because there were obvious adjustments made and he got the boys fired up in the second half. We still haven't played a full game but if we could ever make a tolerable amount of free throws we'd really get things rolling.

A win is a win and it seems like we haven;t seen a buzzer beater in awhile.

On a general note, I found the fact we played Washington and have a guy named Washington on our team very confusing. Several times I heard "foul called on Washington" and then had to wait until there was more clarification. Luckily I don't believe we play any more teams the rest of the year named the same as a guy on team last name.

You may want to check the schedule again. We have games against Oturu and Murphy around Christmas.

I kept waiting for that shot to come down out of the stratosphere. A normal arc and Washington would have had 4 seconds on the clock. [emoji849][emoji57][emoji16]

Definitely a travel, but I'll take the no call!

That no call was a justified makeup for the bad call on Coffey’s poke, which was clean and ended up giving UW the 1 point lead.

I was thinking before the final possession that Gabe would be the guy I'd trust to take a last second shot the most on this team. Mostly due to his shooting ability, but also his demeanor and decision making. He doesn't seem to let the moment get too big for him unlike most people.

One of the worst halves I've ever seen was followed up by one of the most entertaining and gritty halves.

I think you have to credit Pitino because there were obvious adjustments made and he got the boys fired up in the second half. We still haven't played a full game but if we could ever make a tolerable amount of free throws we'd really get things rolling.

Definitely agreed. Pushing the ball in transition and getting the ball to Murph inside were very noticeable adjustments. Well done, coach!

Ski u mah!!! My new favorite player:clap:

Washington was very good in the second half and is much better in the open court as is Coffey.

Gabe stepped up and I am thrilled with the win, but how does an official stand a few feet away and miss the travel?

Gabe changed his pivot foot at least twice, maybe more if you slow it down (I know they do not call it anymore right after you catch the all) but his left foot was the plant foot and he clearly lifted it up well before re-setting to shoot, as he moved to the right.

Glad they did not call it, as UW was geting some calls down the stretch, but if we lost on a non call like that I'd be real POed.

Anyone else notice the 2nd half adjustment to leak Coffey after the Huskies put up a shot?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah that was a great adjustment to push the ball.

If you watched the replay, he didn't even crack a smile after the shot, just jogged back to play a little defense for the last 2 seconds. Until the buzzer ran out and he got mobbed by the rest of the team.

Love it

Definitely agreed. Pushing the ball in transition and getting the ball to Murph inside were very noticeable adjustments. Well done, coach!

I’m seriously curious if father Rick provided any halftime pointers to son.

Should be at worst a Q2 win come Selection Sunday. This was an extremely important game to win. Another must win against Boston College is ahead. That also should be at worst a Q2 win if we get it. Have a feeling Utah, A&M and Oklahoma State are going to be Q3 wins.

Seriously? Hilarious post.

Not sure what would be hilarious.

As far as a quality ball handler this year? Yes he’s all we got. I think it would serve us well to try and jump start his confidence from time to time.

Washington is bad when he is stuck in a slow half court set, but he is great when getting an outlet and deciding when to push it up the court to the open man. I think he is OK in the half court as well when a shot is needed and he knows he is free to create.

IW is pretty streaky, and as awful as he was in the Santa Clara game, he more than made up for it tonight vs. much better competition. I am not sure that we will see any teams ny more long, quick and generally athletic than UW in the Big Ten. (yes some can match them and also can be more physical at the same time, but they are solid) UW should probably mix it up and get out of that Syracuse zone once in a while.

We haven't had our usual line up of warm up games. This team, often starting 3 freshmen, has had to get things figured out on a big stage. Seeing ugly games and the adjustments is encouraging. Glad I have tickets for the next game.

Both teams woke up in the second half and game got much more entertaining. Gopher's were fortunate to get out of there with the victory but will take a win over a solid team any day.

Don't care that he traveled a little, Gabe hit a one handed desperation 3.....unreal.

Lots to work on but have to be thrilled to be 5-0 at this point. Really impressed with what we are getting out of Matz to this point. He is providing some really strong minutes off the bench and does a pretty solid job when he is in there.

Gabe is easily the breakout star of the first 5 games for the team. Nice way to get things underway, this isn't going to be a great team but they should make the tournament. Looking forward to a fun year.

Big time win. Emotional win. Pitino has quite the task in getting the team focused for another tough game at BC on Monday.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Not sure what would be hilarious.

As far as a quality ball handler this year? Yes he’s all we got. I think it would serve us well to try and jump start his confidence from time to time.

Your inablity to see what his contributions are is pretty hilarious.

Call the competition what you want, but when is the last time the Gophers had three power-five wins by Thanksgiving? Great experience for the freshman (and IW) winning these close games...

That no call was a justified makeup for the bad call on Coffey’s poke, which was clean and ended up giving UW the 1 point lead.

Along with Dickerson getting away with a bunch of things all game long.

Not pretty again but they found a way.

One huge, HUGE play was Coffey drawing the charging foul. Besides getting the ball back, got them some extra time.

Anybody else notice that McBrayer was NOT in the game for the final play? I don't know if his leg is still messed up but he looks to be having balance and stopping issues. Given he's been recovering for many months now, I don't have a lot of confidence that he's going to be 100% healthy again by the end of his Gopher career.

Was Murphy named MVP of the tourney? Looked like he was having a photo taken with the tournament director right after the game.

How about some love for Coffey noticing is guy stumbled and stepped in front to take the charge. Heads up play!!!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Yep, Coffey’s charge was big.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anybody else notice that McBrayer was NOT in the game for the final play? I don't know if his leg is still messed up but he looks to be having balance and stopping issues. Given he's been recovering for many months now, I don't have a lotr of confidence that he's going to be 100% healthy again by the end of his Gopher career.

Who was he going to replace that was out there? Needed Washington to create, Coffey and Gabe the shooters, Muphy and Daniel for the put back.

Top Bottom