Gabe Kalscheur. 3 Stars. LOL.

touchdownvikings

Reaction score
Three stars? Clown world. Best shooting guard we've seen at UMN in a generation.

He's off to a hell of a start. I'll take four years of this, please.

JTG

Three stars? Clown world. Best shooting guard we've seen at UMN in a generation.

He’s a great shooter and competent defender. Best shooting guard in a generation is probably hyperbole until we see him do this in big ten play and improve year to year. That said, I am a big fan and agree 3 stars did not accurately reflect his talent.

I actually think if he keeps improving and adds to his game, he could find a home in the NBA. He looks to project as a 3 and D type role player. That’s my way too early take.

Way too early to declare best shooting guard in a generation or to start speculating on what lottery pick he will be after year one.

It's a nice start. He kept us in the game last night. Glad we have him.

To be fair, I watched him a lot in high school and did not see this coming. I knew the defense would be ready from the start but the offense has been a big surprise for me.

I think it's because he was often forced to be "the man" and create his own shot in high school which isn't really his game. He's at his best spotting up to shoot when he's not the focus of the defense (that might not last long).

Um....it's been 4 games. Best shooting guard in a generation......Jumping the gun a bit aren't we.

I love they way he is playing tho!!

Best Gopher shooter I have seen since Hoffarber.

Who knew that recruiting wasn't an exact science and some players will play above where they were ranked and some will play below?

He looks very confident out there. Not out of control, not forcing things. Complete opposite of most of the other guards last night.

4 games.

Let's see what happens when teams start to game plan for him and chase him around the court like they used to follow Hoffarber. Is his release anywhere near as quick as Blake's?

Gopher fans are starved for something ... anything ... to be excited about on the men's side of the athletic dept. The women continue to excel.

Gabe led the Nike EYBL in total 3's made as well as percentage and averaged 15 PPG and was the second leading scorer on the #1 regular season game. After that I definitely thought he should have been a top 80 player in the country and was very high on him.

He didn't do much in the pro am and at Delasalle, he didn't look quite like he did in the EYBL so I didn't really know what to expect from him.

He's definitely playing more like he did in the EYBL than in the MSHL.

4 games.

Let's see what happens when teams start to game plan for him and chase him around the court like they used to follow Hoffarber. Is his release anywhere near as quick as Blake's?

It is not as quick.

4 games.

Blake could be focused on because he didn't have much else with him. A lot of Gabe's looks are coming from other guys taking multiple defenders. If you double, someone is open. Oturu is going to be a force eventually, Murphy is now. He needs complimentary players, Blake never really had that. He was our best and sometimes only option.

There were multiple people on this board who were lukewarm on Gabe during his DLS career (although I was super high on him :)

Hopefully he puts a damper on the ripping of Pitino with regard to in-state recruiting. I'll admit I was skeptical of opinions that he would be great, brushing it off as homers overrating local kids because they're local, but Gabe has been great in his short college career thus far.

Blake could be focused on because he didn't have much else with him. A lot of Gabe's looks are coming from other guys taking multiple defenders. If you double, someone is open. Oturu is going to be a force eventually, Murphy is now. He needs complimentary players, Blake never really had that. He was our best and sometimes only option.

Exactly, defenders can't really latch on to Gabe without sacrificing easy baskets to guys like Murphy and Coffee. Help defense means there will be an open shooter and as we saw last night, that shooter was Gabe and he was on fire. Hope to see more of Murph passing out of double teams to find open shooters, a nice added element to his game that we haven't seen as much of in past years.

Exactly, defenders can't really latch on to Gabe without sacrificing easy baskets to guys like Murphy and Coffee. Help defense means there will be an open shooter and as we saw last night, that shooter was Gabe and he was on fire. Hope to see more of Murph passing out of double teams to find open shooters, a nice added element to his game that we haven't seen as much of in past years.

I'll also add the Gabe is better attacking the rim than Hoffarber. Blake was so fun to watch when he got going, but Gabe is multi-faceted. Can slash and score (which he did a few times last night) and I don't recall that being a strength of Blake's.

I didn't think he would even be a contributor this year. Honestly I thought the only thing he did at a D1 level was shoot which is why he didn't have great offers. That said he has a B10 body already even though he's not a great athlete. His defensive positioning in a team setting is excellent and that was something maybe I should have thought about since he's an Islander. But he's always in the right spot, moves his feet well and since he's only being asked to catch and shoot on O he's at his best. That said we'll see what happens when he's playing B1G teams who have game planned to stick to him everywhere with a bigger, longer defender. But he's a perfect fit in a lineup with a guy who demands a double in Murph and two slash and kick guys. Teams can't just stick smaller/weaker defenders on Coffey and Dupree and dedicate their best guy to chasing Gabe.

Die Hard,
Thanks for posting the Blake video! Although I'm afraid it made me miss the days of Blake, Rodney and Trevor! Those teams should have achieved so much more.

As for shot speed, I think Blake has the edge, but what I like about Gabe is there is no hesitation. He is confident!

Don't know if he can make turn-around three with a hand in his face like Blake but I am looking forward to him getting the opportunity!

I'll also add the Gabe is better attacking the rim than Hoffarber. Blake was so fun to watch when he got going, but Gabe is multi-faceted. Can slash and score (which he did a few times last night) and I don't recall that being a strength of Blake's.

Watch the Hoffarber tape! Blake looks like he is running in sand compared to Williams and Mbawkwe! Gabe is much more athletic.

Die Hard,
Thanks for posting the Blake video! Although I'm afraid it made me miss the days of Blake, Rodney and Trevor! Those teams should have achieved so much more.

As for shot speed, I think Blake has the edge, but what I like about Gabe is there is no hesitation. He is confident!

Don't know if he can make turn-around three with a hand in his face like Blake but I am looking forward to him getting the opportunity!

Watching those teams in the early season tournaments in November was so much fun. Beating Louisville, Butler, North Carolina, Memphis and West Virginia to name a few. Then they'd always break your heart in the Big Ten.

Gopher fans are starved for something ... anything ... to be excited about on the men's side of the athletic dept. The women continue to excel.

Gopher womens basketball has been no better than mens in the past decade. I think excel is a little aggressive. The men have had plenty of teams ranked early in the year in both the Tubby and Richard era.

Top Bottom