Gabe Kalscheur. 3 Stars. LOL.

Exactly, defenders can't really latch on to Gabe without sacrificing easy baskets to guys like Murphy and Coffee. Help defense means there will be an open shooter and as we saw last night, that shooter was Gabe and he was on fire. Hope to see more of Murph passing out of double teams to find open shooters, a nice added element to his game that we haven't seen as much of in past years.

Gabe also displayed the ability to recognize he could get an open look when another player id doubled and works to take advantage of that. That will be incredibly valuable. Imo one of our better defenders as well. Definitely a lot to look forward to the next few years with Gabe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Watching those teams in the early season tournaments in November was so much fun. Beating Louisville, Butler, North Carolina, Memphis and West Virginia to name a few. Then they'd always break your heart in the Big Ten.

Those guys could have been another Phi Slamma Jamma! They lead the nation in dunks per game. A little post-season success and they would have gotten the coverage to be legends.

Gopher womens basketball has been no better than mens in the past decade. I think excel is a little aggressive. The men have had plenty of teams ranked early in the year in both the Tubby and Richard era.

He was referring to all women's sports.

He’s a good shooter. I suspect he will continue to be but will have fewer shot attempts as teams gameplan to cover him as they double the post (Murphy).

Will be interesting to see how it develops. But oturu and Murphy should start seeing more singles in the post

Gabe also displayed the ability to recognize he could get an open look when another player id doubled and works to take advantage of that. That will be incredibly valuable. Imo one of our better defenders as well. Definitely a lot to look forward to the next few years with Gabe.

Yepp, as valuable as he is on offense his defense may be equally as important. I don't know if I'd say he is a better defender than Oturu because they both have different roles, but Gabe is certainly one of the best perimeter defenders on the team. Him and Amir can certainly lock down backcourts, Gabe has outstanding lateral quickness and Coffey's length alone is enough to bother ballhandlers.

Three stars? Clown world. Best shooting guard we've seen at UMN in a generation.

He’s off to a good start. Settle down with the best shooter in a generation talk.

Last edited:

He could easily end up on one of the all-conference teams this year.

Blake could be focused on because he didn't have much else with him. A lot of Gabe's looks are coming from other guys taking multiple defenders. If you double, someone is open. Oturu is going to be a force eventually, Murphy is now. He needs complimentary players, Blake never really had that. He was our best and sometimes only option.

A lot of Gabe's 3s against Santa Clara were direct feeds from Murphy, he would suck the defense down low and then kick out to Gabe. Hopefully those two can compliment each other in this regard all year.

He’s a good shooter. I suspect he will continue to be but will have fewer shot attempts as teams gameplan to cover him as they double the post (Murphy).

Will be interesting to see how it develops. But oturu and Murphy should start seeing more singles in the post

Honestly we should have a really tough offense to stop in the half court game. Dupree and Gabe can both drill 3s, Coffey can shoot 3s but is also good at getting to the basket and then you add in Murphy and Oturu down low. Ball handling and free throw shooting are early concerns but we have some really nice pieces to work with right now. As teams focus more on Gabe it is just going to help open things up inside and for the other guys.

In theory this should be a really hard offense to defend.

Still a wild move to take excitement over a new freshman and compare it to the men's and women's overall program. Seems like a reach.

Was attempting to explain the excitement, for this team in general. They can and hopefully will do great things this season! Football, men's bball, men's hockey, even wrestling ... really haven't had much national glory. As opposed to women ... not basketball actually, but volleyball, hockey, soccer, softball. Not that you care about those. Anyway ...

Last edited:

Only a clown would crown him the best after 4 games vs unrated teams. He shot 40 percent in eybl and was number 2 in made 3s...

Only a clown would crown him the best after 4 games vs unrated teams. He shot 40 percent in eybl and was number 2 in made 3s...

OK; call me a clown too! Gabe has the most pure-looking shot of any Gopher I have seen since Blake Hoffarber and maybe before. How is that?

He also plays with poise and excellent anticipation. Oh yeah, he also defends!

Gabe and Oturu have impressed the heck out of me so far.

He was actually #1.

I remember the stats on D1 Circuit say he was #2 but for some reason they forgot to include his last two games which would have put him at #1 if those were included.

4 games.

Let's see what happens when teams start to game plan for him and chase him around the court like they used to follow Hoffarber. Is his release anywhere near as quick as Blake's?
Yes it is. Kalscheur showed it last night when he dropped a tre with a hand in his face.

Those guys could have been another Phi Slamma Jamma! They lead the nation in dunks per game. A little post-season success and they would have gotten the coverage to be legends.
Lay off the weed Otis! [emoji57][emoji16]

Who knows how he ends up, but I like what I see so far. Plays under control, has a nice size body for a guard(strong), is a great defender and looks like a dang sniper from outside. Most likely he won't be this good all season, but he looks like Voshon Leonard out there right now.

Its quicker. I timed them both.

Then you didn't time properly. There is absolutely no way that his release is faster than Hoffarber's.

The way Gabe plays reminds me quite a bit of Klay Thompson. He actually also looks a bit like him from a distance.

Blake was such an underrated passer. Would love to see that from Gabe.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Thank you Gabe for rescuing us from a woeful performance.

Glad Gabe did not get called for traveling on his game winner

Agreed that Gabe doesn't have as quick a release as Blake. We'll learn more about his range as time goes. His improvement curve since his HS underclassmen years is impressive; his shooting has improved continuously, and I don't put it past him tho develop range out to anywhere.

He does a lot of things well right now. Instead of comparing him to past players, I think we're going to be comparing future players to him!

Top Bottom