Gopher fans rave about time at Vancouver Showcase, saying people here are "MN Nice"

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Gopher fans rave about time at Vancouver Showcase, saying people here are "MN Nice"

per The Province:

Vancouver has fans it seems in the Minnesota Golden Gophers booster club.

“I’m really impressed with the friendliness of the people here. They’re Minnesota nice,” explained Mike Hanson, one of 60 members of the Golden Dunkers here to watch the Gophers take part in the inaugural TCL Vancouver Showcase, the National Collegiate Athletic Association basketball tournament being held at the Vancouver Convention Centre.

“It’s been a good, good trip.”

Fan groups following teams for road games is routine, particularly at the marquee NCAA schools. Steve and Dorothy Erban, who run Creative Charters out of Lake Elmo, Minn., have been organizing trips for Gophers backers in various sports since 1993 and boast of helping over 20,000 Gopher fans get to away games.

The majority of Minnesota backers on this particular excursion to Vancouver are aged 50 and over, according to Steve Erban. Most will have been here for a week when the Gophers wind up the men’s portion of the tournament with a 3:30 p.m. game on Wednesday against the Washington Huskies.

It seems the Erbans get their fair share of return business. Hanson, 73, a former high school basketball coach, says he’s gone on Erban-led jaunts to watch games in Hawaii, Puerto Rico and the Bahamas over the years. Cheryl Anderson, 68, says that she’s been making these sorts of trips for 15 seasons now.

“I know so many of these people … it’s almost like a reunion,” Anderson said, pointing around at the crowd munching on breakfast at the EXchange Hotel on Tuesday morning, as part of preparation to watch the Gophers face the Santa Clara Broncos later in the day.

https://theprovince.com/sports/bask...howcase-saying-people-here-are-minnesota-nice

Go Gophers!!

per The Province:

Vancouver has fans it seems in the Minnesota Golden Gophers booster club.

“I’m really impressed with the friendliness of the people here. They’re Minnesota nice,” explained Mike Hanson, one of 60 members of the Golden Dunkers here to watch the Gophers take part in the inaugural TCL Vancouver Showcase, the National Collegiate Athletic Association basketball tournament being held at the Vancouver Convention Centre.

“It’s been a good, good trip.”

Fan groups following teams for road games is routine, particularly at the marquee NCAA schools. Steve and Dorothy Erban, who run Creative Charters out of Lake Elmo, Minn., have been organizing trips for Gophers backers in various sports since 1993 and boast of helping over 20,000 Gopher fans get to away games.

The majority of Minnesota backers on this particular excursion to Vancouver are aged 50 and over, according to Steve Erban. Most will have been here for a week when the Gophers wind up the men’s portion of the tournament with a 3:30 p.m. game on Wednesday against the Washington Huskies.

It seems the Erbans get their fair share of return business. Hanson, 73, a former high school basketball coach, says he’s gone on Erban-led jaunts to watch games in Hawaii, Puerto Rico and the Bahamas over the years. Cheryl Anderson, 68, says that she’s been making these sorts of trips for 15 seasons now.

“I know so many of these people … it’s almost like a reunion,” Anderson said, pointing around at the crowd munching on breakfast at the EXchange Hotel on Tuesday morning, as part of preparation to watch the Gophers face the Santa Clara Broncos later in the day.

https://theprovince.com/sports/bask...howcase-saying-people-here-are-minnesota-nice

Go Gophers!!

I would agree they have been fairly nice. We didn't travel with the group and are staying about 10 miles from downtown and I will say Canadians are totally different once they get behind the wheel of a car. Driving in Vancouver is crazy.

I would agree they have been fairly nice. We didn't travel with the group and are staying about 10 miles from downtown and I will say Canadians are totally different once they get behind the wheel of a car. Driving in Vancouver is crazy.

Vancouver is an amazing city but it is congested with lots of small city streets. Great neighborhoods though and the Market on Granville Island is awesome. Hope you check out Stanley Park.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How many Minnesotans are checking our Richards street? Where prostitution is legal.

The majority of Minnesota backers on this particular excursion to Vancouver are aged 50 and over, according to Steve Erban.

It’s the standard for Creative Charters, wish I didn’t have things like work schedules and budgets to adhere to and then I’d be happy as pie to travel and watch my alma mater sports teams play on the road as well. Of course these people are happy!

Vancouver is an amazing city but it is congested with lots of small city streets. Great neighborhoods though and the Market on Granville Island is awesome. Hope you check out Stanley Park.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have checked out both, Granville Island and Stanley Park, very cool places. Also checked out these places called dispensaries:clap:

I’d agree with everything here. I think I was the youngest person there at the Tuesday game.

Vancouver has horse___ roads. They have no freeway to get across the city. Imagine taking Lyndale or something like that all the way from downtown to S Mpls. That's your only option. There is one freeway, but it's way off to the side, and doesn't really go through the city itself.

It's also really weird ... because there's really no black or hispanic people. Kinda freaky, if you're used to living in Mpls. It's seriously like 50% white, and 50% Asian (of all types, South, SE, and East).

Top Bottom