Point Guard

Jaykay

Reaction score
Pretty much my only talking point in the offseason was that this team had no point guard if they didn't get Crandall and/or Carr couldn't play. I was told Washington had improved at the end of the season and turned into a reliable starting PG, but that doesn't appear to be the case. Coffey certainly isn't the answer either.

It will be the downfall of this team.

IW has not looked good early on but I still think he has talent and I am hoping something clicks for him soon.

Washington has the talent to play point guard. He just needs to learn that he doesn't have the talent to play the way he wants to play and needs to play with more control.

He needs to play a little slower in the half court and look for his shot less. He won’t make as many plays that way, but he won’t give it back to the other team so quickly with wild plays. In general, I like the faster team pace and think we have enough athletes to do it. But he is a little too fast. Patience should be his mantra.

4 games in I could see us really struggling with teams that have really strong guards. Coffey and IW are both better then what they have shown so far in Vancouver but we knew going into the year that PG had the potential to be a major problem for this team and it is playing out that way so far.

Not many options right now out of working with the guys on the roster and correcting mistakes after each game in the hopes of getting them ready for conference play.

I wish Washington would get more time with the starters. Feel like his in the game with a lot of the backups so he feels like he has to do everything.

Washington has the talent to play point guard. He just needs to learn that he doesn't have the talent to play the way he wants to play and needs to play with more control.

This. He plays out of control and more of a pickup game style. I was saying they have to sit him down, he's a liability right now. At the end of last year he was much better and was playing more in the system, it's too bad because he could be really good. I sure miss Nate!

On another note free throws are going to kill this team and the three freshmen are really good. Stockman gives them much better minutes compared to Konate. If Curry can come back healthy they are going to be a really tough threesome with Murphy and Oturu.

Its definitely the big elephant in the room with this team.

Big mistake by Pitino not having a plan for this situation, other than hoping for a transfer to fill the void.

IW needs more minutes before the Big Ten season opens, because Coffey is not the answer.

This. He plays out of control and more of a pickup game style. I was saying they have to sit him down, he's a liability right now. At the end of last year he was much better and was playing more in the system, it's too bad because he could be really good. I sure miss Nate!

On another note free throws are going to kill this team and the three freshmen are really good. Stockman gives them much better minutes compared to Konate. If Curry can come back healthy they are going to be a really tough threesome with Murphy and Oturu.

2x.....Cant trust Washington, dumb basketball loses more than smart basketball wins.

Its definitely the big elephant in the room with this team.

Big mistake by Pitino not having a plan for this situation, other than hoping for a transfer to fill the void.

IW needs more minutes before the Big Ten season opens, because Coffey is not the answer.

Pitino definitely recruited a ton of PG's for the 2018 class and struck out on all of them. I'm sure he was expecting IW to be better as well.

AJ Green, Tyrese Haliburton, Tai Stickland, Eric Hunter, Anthony Nelson, Jaelin Llewelyn, Marcus Zegarowski etc.

He had a plan, failed to execute it.

I saw neither the Texas A & M game nor the Santa Clara game. I did notice Washington's diminished minutes however. Any reports on body language, possible signs of pouting? I would hate to see him do the diva thing and just go back to New York.

I saw neither the Texas A & M game nor the Santa Clara game. I did notice Washington's diminished minutes however. Any reports on body language, possible signs of pouting? I would hate to see him do the diva thing and just go back to New York.

During the radio pregame interview with Pitino before the Santa Clara game he specifically mentioned IW needing to work on his body language along with shot selection. IW has always worn his emotions on his sleeve and that does get in the way at times when things are not going well for him. Coffey can be similar in that respect where he will look very down at times and seem to pout.

In college basketball, being an above average three point shooting team is waaaaaaaaaaay more important than having a standout, bellwether true point guard. Thankfully, it looks like the Gophers have a good 3 point threat this year.

Let's not get PG conflated with the importance of, say, a good quarterback in the NFL.

I fully expect to hear IW will not be in MN next season.

In college basketball, being an above average three point shooting team is waaaaaaaaaaay more important than having a standout, bellwether true point guard. Thankfully, it looks like the Gophers have a good 3 point threat this year.

Let's not get PG conflated with the importance of, say, a good quarterback in the NFL.

Bfast, You need to go look at the season the Gophers with Al Nolen, Blake Hoffarber, Mbawkwe and Sampson started out the season gangbusters and even beat #10 Louisville.

Al Nolen was declared ineligible and a team that was being ranked descended into hell and never recovered.

A Bellwether PG is still essential.

Bfast, You need to go look at the season the Gophers with Al Nolen, Blake Hoffarber, Mbawkwe and Sampson started out the season gangbusters and even beat #10 Louisville.

Al Nolen was declared ineligible and a team that was being ranked descended into hell and never recovered.

A Bellwether PG is still essential.

I agree that effective point guard play is essential . The guy doesn't need to be all big ten, he just needs to be able to defend responsibly , not turn it over, and run the half court offense. I'm a little worried we dont have that.

Al was what I would call a "steadying force". He did exactly what you called for Bleed. Low turnovers, great defense and he ran the offense. Always around 10 points per game without forcing his own shot.

Coffey will be fine....he had a bad game. Coffey should be and will be the PG

Well it only took 3 games this year but people are already saying Washington is going to transfer based on absolutely nothing.

Calm down, it is four games into the season. I know we looked like garbage last night for the most part, but its only four games in to a 30+ game schedule. Washington has the athletic ability/speed to be a solid PG for our team this year, and I am very optimistic that he will be able to elevate his play. Last year he started off playing very badly and turned it around. No reason he cant do it this year either. Might not be the player we all hoped he would be when we signed him but he definitely can be serviceable at the very least, and help this team win.

I fear that IW is not receiving a clear message. His tendency to take ill advised/selfish shots early in the shot clock is exactly the same tendency I see out of Coffee. Both like to play the hero and drive into traffic and chuck up a shot.

If Pitino isn’t equally as critical of Coffee making those plays as he is of IW (which seems likely, given that IW was pulled last night), then perhaps this is a coaching issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Calm down, it is four games into the season. I know we looked like garbage last night for the most part, but its only four games in to a 30+ game schedule. Washington has the athletic ability/speed to be a solid PG for our team this year, and I am very optimistic that he will be able to elevate his play. Last year he started off playing very badly and turned it around. No reason he cant do it this year either. Might not be the player we all hoped he would be when we signed him but he definitely can be serviceable at the very least, and help this team win.

Going back and looking at IW's stats from last year, I don't think its that unlikely that he can't make better decisions and be more efficient. Was not consistent last year but last half he was playing good ball and wasn't trying to throw up shots all the time while doing a fairly good job of dishing it and creating for others. If he can just get back to that level it would help us tremendously.

Going back and looking at IW's stats from last year, I don't think its that unlikely that he can't make better decisions and be more efficient. Was not consistent last year but last half he was playing good ball and wasn't trying to throw up shots all the time while doing a fairly good job of dishing it and creating for others. If he can just get back to that level it would help us tremendously.

It's almost like your saying, "Last year with extended playing time he played with more poise."

Pitino, are you reading this? Kid can't get better sitting next to you.

Top Bottom