2019 & 2020

Rog

Reaction score
Is Fleck on his stated schedule towards the results he predicted for next year and beyond? True, most of the team are 1st and 2nd year players. If I am correct
he never really made great statements for this year. I heard we are one of, if not the youngest team in Div 1 football. If this is so, we may just look back at this year as
a rebuilding year when we are in those great years coming.

Just something to break the present gloom. Brighten up! the best is yet to come!

My goal for 2019 and 2020 is to have seasons that we can be excited about without needing to include phrases like "on the right track" or "excited for next year."

I think 8 wins is a reasonable expectation for 2019.

Is Fleck on his stated schedule towards the results he predicted for next year and beyond? True, most of the team are 1st and 2nd year players. If I am correct
he never really made great statements for this year. I heard we are one of, if not the youngest team in Div 1 football. If this is so, we may just look back at this year as

Just something to break the present gloom. Brighten up! the best is yet to come!

Despite what some in here clearly believe, Fleck is not naive. He knows the results on the field will need to start trending upwards next year. The offensive roster will still be very young but it will be a lot of guys with a season or two under their belts so while they will still have some growing and maturing to do they also should be prepared to compete.

Making a bowl game next year should be a minimum expectation for the squad even if the team is not quite ready for prime time yet.

My goal for 2019 and 2020 is to have seasons that we can be excited about without needing to include phrases like "on the right track" or "excited for next year."

I think 8 wins is a reasonable expectation for 2019.

Agree. The schedule lines up well. We should return 9 starters on offense, plus get Rodney and Shannon back. The defense also returns 9 starters, and we should be able to add some pieces along the d-line.

Fleck has consistently pointed to 2020 as the year to expect good results. It might be aggravating to season ticket holders and fans that want to win now, but to Flecks credit, he has been very consistent in claiming 2020 as his season to shine.

He needs to get us to a bowl game next year. Anything less would be a failure.

Despite what some in here clearly believe, Fleck is not naive. He knows the results on the field will need to start trending upwards next year. The offensive roster will still be very young but it will be a lot of guys with a season or two under their belts so while they will still have some growing and maturing to do they also should be prepared to compete.

Making a bowl game next year should be a minimum expectation for the squad even if the team is not quite ready for prime time yet.

Six wins next year should be the minimum?

Last edited:

I agree we need to get to a bowl in 2019, but I would add that we need to be competitive in all our 2019 games; no blow outs. Also, 7 regular season wins need to be the minimum

Fleck has consistently pointed to 2020 as the year to expect good results. It might be aggravating to season ticket holders and fans that want to win now, but to Flecks credit, he has been very consistent in claiming 2020 as his season to shine.

Well, he's more recently hedged that to more like 2022. I think it first popped up in comments he made on Sports Huddle about a month ago?

Well, he's more recently hedged that to more like 2022. I think it first popped up in comments he made on Sports Huddle about a month ago?

Fleck doesn't have until 2022, and everybody knows that, including Fleck.

A bowl game is a must next year. And I agree that the blowout losses need to be a thing of the past.

By 2020, I'm expecting 7-8 wins to be the floor. And the 7s better be rare.

JTG

A bowl game is a must next year. And I agree that the blowout losses need to be a thing of the past.

JTG

Don't disagree, but he's put it out there. By 2020 your expectation is he's back to the previous level of winning?

I'd expect a bowl game for next year unless we get like 20 injuries or something really strange happens.

Then bowl game pretty much every year after with a random 3-9 to 5-7 season mixed it with an occasional 8-4 to 10-2 season.

Something like this with hopefully a 10-2 mixed in once every 7 years or so.

5 2014 Big Ten 7 6 0 .538 1.37 -0.40 Kirk Ferentz (7-6) TaxSlayer Bowl-L
6 2013 Big Ten 8 5 0 .615 7.31 2.31 Kirk Ferentz (8-5) Outback Bowl-L
7 2012 Big Ten 4 8 0 .333 -2.62 1.63 Kirk Ferentz (4-8)
8 2011 Big Ten 7 6 0 .538 4.38 1.77 Kirk Ferentz (7-6) Insight Bowl-L
9 2010 Big Ten 8 5 0 .615 10.15 1.99 9 9 Kirk Ferentz (8-5) Insight Bowl-W

Don't disagree, but he's put it out there. By 2020 your expectation is he's back to the previous level of winning?

Yes.

Hey, I've said repeatedly I'm not a fan of the way Claeys was treated. But after the decision was made to jettison Claeys, I think PJ was a good hire. I don't necessarily embrace his schtick, but then again I don't have to. I think he's an effective recruiter and motivator, and that's at least half of the equation.

There's no guarantee this program wasn't going to take a step back last year, even if Claeys had been retained. So I prefer to concentrate on what's actually happening with the program, rather than on what happened two years ago.

JTG

JTG

Yeah, I mean his first full year recruiting class was 2018.
When those guys are all redshirt seniors, that would be 2022, so maybe that's where PJ has his eyes set, but ideally now with us being young, and he's stated for some time we will get younger next year (even moreso than this year) I'd expect us to compete for Bowl games on the track to 2022 with that being the first high water mark.

He has seemed to back off on the "even younger next year (2019)" talk lately. I'd assume that is because of the number of freshman playing this year was higher than he hoped, so a lot of those guys will be playing next year, making 2019 older than 2018 which he didn't originally envision.

We likely won't have 37 freshman on the 2 deep next year.

Idea being if successful, 2022 would be a peak, then depending on recruiting success of the next few years, we stay at that new plateau.

You never know what recruits turn out so if suddenly you find yourself with a lot of seniors in a given year, there might be a step back the year after down to 5-6 if a team is really young again, but the idea is PJ is establishing that sustainability with each recruiting class from here on adding players to fit his mold, etc.

Last edited:

Fleck set the program back by bringing in Rob Smith.

This year could have been a bowl year with competent coaching on defense.

Given the last two games, I would have a difficult time arguing with this.

JTG

Yeah, pretty mind blowing fleck couldn't pull the trigger sooner....or not have made the hire in the first place.

Sent from my RS988 using Tapatalk

Yes.

Hey, I've said repeatedly I'm not a fan of the way Claeys was treated. But after the decision was made to jettison Claeys, I think PJ was a good hire. I don't necessarily embrace his schtick, but then again I don't have to. I think he's an effective recruiter and motivator, and that's at least half of the equation.

There's no guarantee this program wasn't going to take a step back last year, even if Claeys had been retained. So I prefer to concentrate on what's actually happening with the program, rather than on what happened two years ago.

JTG

Fleck was not brought in to get to and maintain at the level that was established before him.

There's 9 regular season wins to be had next year. I expect Fleck & Co to find a way to those wins.

I'd be shocked if they don't win 8-9 next year and building from there. Way too much coming back for next year and beyond

Fleck was not brought in to get to and maintain at the level that was established before him.

There's 9 regular season wins to be had next year. I expect Fleck & Co to find a way to those wins.

The 5 regular season wins in 2015? In year 5.

Kill and Claeys are gone. Let it go.

I'd be shocked if they don't win 8-9 next year and building from there. Way too much coming back for next year and beyond

No true Gopher fan would be “shocked” if they don’t win 8-9. But yes, it needs to happen.

2019 schedule is easy-- no cross over against Mich, Mich St or Ohio state and 5 home conference games-- anything less than 8 wins in the regular season will be an extreme disappointment and Fleck for sure be on the hot seat

home S. Dak State, Georgia Southern, Illinois, Neb, Maryland, Penn St and WI
road Fresno St, Purdue, Iowa, Rutgers and NW

I just want the Gophers under PJ Fleck at a minimum to be consistent and have exciting competitive games to watch. Not the inconsistencies and blowouts.

I agree. The 2018 class is key. The Gophers have to win enough games and go to a bowl game next year. The more wins, the better for recruiting. From next year on, they have to win as many games as possible to be in the mix with the upper tier B1G West.

The 5 regular season wins in 2015? In year 5.

Kill and Claeys are gone. Let it go.

Hilariously funny post. U did not spend $20M+ more to have more the same result. Coyle made that crystal clear in his intro presser.

Man o man have expectations dropped. Both in recruiting and on the field performance. So many on here 2 years ago wouldn’t even recognize themselves today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Making a bowl game this year should have been a minimum expectation.

I'd expect a bowl game for next year unless we get like 20 injuries or something really strange happens.

Then bowl game pretty much every year after with a random 3-9 to 5-7 season mixed it with an occasional 8-4 to 10-2 season.

Something like this with hopefully a 10-2 mixed in once every 7 years or so.

5 2014 Big Ten 7 6 0 .538 1.37 -0.40 Kirk Ferentz (7-6) TaxSlayer Bowl-L
6 2013 Big Ten 8 5 0 .615 7.31 2.31 Kirk Ferentz (8-5) Outback Bowl-L
7 2012 Big Ten 4 8 0 .333 -2.62 1.63 Kirk Ferentz (4-8)
8 2011 Big Ten 7 6 0 .538 4.38 1.77 Kirk Ferentz (7-6) Insight Bowl-L
9 2010 Big Ten 8 5 0 .615 10.15 1.99 9 9 Kirk Ferentz (8-5) Insight Bowl-W

This does not sound elite.

Top Bottom