2019 & 2020

Yes sorry I was wrong, they lost AT Boise by 7. And will face them again in the MW championship game, or Utah St. So could end up being at Minnesota and at Boise being the only losses. You're right though, horrible team, G5 team, so that means they're about as good as high school team.

Clearly what I've said proves that I'm predicting -7 wins and 19 losses for 2019. <b>Good take on actually reading and comprehending what I wrote.</b>

The bolded part is pretty ironic considering your first paragraph. I informed you Fresno had already lost a second game and you interpreted that as me saying they are horrible and about as good as a HS team. Very logical interpretation and a splendid example of “reading and comprehending. what I wrote.”

Back to your tamping of 2019 expectations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Horrible take from a casual Big Ten fan who knows nothing about college football at levels lower than the Big Ten.

Like your knowledge of Fresno’s current record? You clearly follow that lower level closely.

me saying they are horrible and about as good as a HS team.

That is basically what you, and everyone else are implying. That we will waltz to victories over our three non-conf in 2019. That take is horribly uninformed.

Like your knowledge of Fresno’s current record?

Yep one minor slip up, that didn't diminish the actual point at all, automatically and retroactively invalidates all things said, forever.

Sounds like an internet message board thing to say.

That is basically what you, and everyone else are implying. That we will waltz to victories over our three non-conf in 2019. That take is horribly uninformed.

Again - I said Fresno lost a second game. If you think it is logical to conclude mentioning that fact means I am saying they are horrible, I will disagree. I didn’t comment on their ability at all.

Yep one minor slip up, that didn't diminish the actual point at all, automatically and retroactively invalidates all things said, forever.

Sounds like an internet message board thing to say.

Win/Loss records are minor and don’t diminish the point at all? When the point is how good someone is? Okey Dokey.

Alright enough. You believe what you want to believe, I will do me.

On a serious note, Happy Thanksgiving to all! Good luck to our Gophers in Madison on Saturday! Safe travels to anyone going to the game! See yall next week, now go eat turkey and enjoy time with your friends & families!

back to the bigger point:

my understanding is that Fleck was brought in to: 1. take the program to a higher level 2. create excitement about the program 3. improve attendance.

Now, we have people just hoping that the Gophers get back to the level they were at under Mason and Kill.

Look - maybe Fleck will take the Gophers to a higher level. Maybe he won't.

Call me a pessimist, or a realist, but there is another possibility here:

maybe the level of the program under Mason and Kill is as good as it's ever going to be at MN. 8 wins, an occasional 9-win season, and the extremely rare 10-win season once every 15 to 20 years. that could be the ceiling for this program.

hey, I could be wrong. But, it's worth throwing into the mix the idea that the Gopher program already reached its ceiling - and we didn't realize it at the time. it would be like: your girlfriend is a 7, and you dump her because you think you deserve a 10. and in the end, you wind up with a 6 or a 7, and feel lucky.

Yep, 9-2 is barely a middle school team, where as 10-1 would be almost Big Ten level. Good take

I don’t even think the Fresno players can tie their own shoes. They look like an 8-3 team to me.

Alright enough. You believe what you want to believe, I will do me.

What are you talking about?
You have told me what I believe. I said they lost 2 games.

The schedule in 2019 lines up well?? The schedule looks pretty brutal to me.

SDSU - this is a top level program in FCS (I-AA), roughly comparable to NDSU, and will have guys on the roster eager to prove that they should've been recruited to the P5. They had a TE drafted recently and a great WR from Maple Grove too. Make no mistake, this will not be an easy win.
at Fresno - this program could win the MW this year and their only loss might end up being to us, and if Tedford stays they're just going to keep getting better. They're going to want revenge and it could be a very hot game too.
Georgia Southern - Sun Belt team, but also very tough. Nebraska lost at home early this year to Troy. It will be a similar level of competition to that. Will not be an easy win.

at Purdue - they're going to be out for revenge, on the road, won't be easy
Illinois
Nebraska - hope these two games we can get revenge for our absolutely embarrassing road losses this year
at Rutgers - would like to think this is a win, but they're still Big Ten and it's a road game
Maryland - similarly, would like to hope they will get revenge

Penn St
at Iowa
at NW
Wisconsin - brutal four games to end the season after the BYE week. Depending how the season has gone and where we're at with health, we could easily go 0-4 or 1-3 in this stretch.

This is not "lining up well" by any means. We have our work cut out for us. Losing Cashman on defense won't help, but yes we obviously return a ton of players.

Ridiculous post.

No power 5 team out of conference. Fresno is a very good team this season but they lose a ton going in to 2019 (including perhaps Jeff Tedford). You're worried about losing to a 1-AA team and Sun Belt team?

We play the same 6 B1G West teams every season.

Our crossover games don't include ANY of Ohio State, Michigan, Michigan State.

I'm actually not sure how it'd be possible to design a more winnable schedule.

Yes.

Hey, I've said repeatedly I'm not a fan of the way Claeys was treated. But after the decision was made to jettison Claeys, I think PJ was a good hire. I don't necessarily embrace his schtick, but then again I don't have to. I think he's an effective recruiter and motivator, and that's at least half of the equation.

There's no guarantee this program wasn't going to take a step back last year, even if Claeys had been retained. So I prefer to concentrate on what's actually happening with the program, rather than on what happened two years ago.

JTG

Very well stated. I feel exactly the same way.

Ridiculous post.

No power 5 team out of conference. Fresno is a very good team this season but they lose a ton going in to 2019 (including perhaps Jeff Tedford). You're worried about losing to a 1-AA team and Sun Belt team?

We play the same 6 B1G West teams every season.

Our crossover games don't include ANY of Ohio State, Michigan, Michigan State.

I'm actually not sure how it'd be possible to design a more winnable schedule.

This is the correct take. The poster you responded to is very, very stupid and it seems like he posts nonsense takes just to get a reaction. One could almost use a term like trolling to describe it.

We are in the Big Ten, so of course our schedule is never "easy." That being said, the 2019 schedule is almost as easy as a Big Ten schedule can get. The only way to make it easier would be to swap out PSU for Indiana. And if James Franklin leaves for USC like some are speculating, PSU might be down next year - particularly since McSorley will be gone.

I'm not saying we will waltz to victory. Every week we will be playing scholarshipped collegiate athletes. What I am saying is that the 2019 schedule is about as easy as it's going to get, relative to other years.

Win/Loss records are minor and don’t diminish the point at all? When the point is how good someone is? Okey Dokey.

At some point you'd think gfl would realize to grab a smaller shovel...

back to the bigger point:

my understanding is that Fleck was brought in to: 1. take the program to a higher level 2. create excitement about the program 3. improve attendance.

Now, we have people just hoping that the Gophers get back to the level they were at under Mason and Kill.

Look - maybe Fleck will take the Gophers to a higher level. Maybe he won't.

Call me a pessimist, or a realist, but there is another possibility here:

maybe the level of the program under Mason and Kill is as good as it's ever going to be at MN. 8 wins, an occasional 9-win season, and the extremely rare 10-win season once every 15 to 20 years. that could be the ceiling for this program.

hey, I could be wrong. But, it's worth throwing into the mix the idea that the Gopher program already reached its ceiling - and we didn't realize it at the time. it would be like: your girlfriend is a 7, and you dump her because you think you deserve a 10. and in the end, you wind up with a 6 or a 7, and feel lucky.

I tried to point this out earlier and was accused of lowering the bar. Minnesota does not have the base of instate recruits to sustain a consistently successful program. When Kill took the Gophers to a New Year's Day bowl I felt the organization hit its pinnacle. I hope we are both wrong but I doubt it.

I tried to point this out earlier and was accused of lowering the bar. Minnesota does not have the base of instate recruits to sustain a consistently successful program. When Kill took the Gophers to a New Year's Day bowl I felt the organization hit its pinnacle. I hope we are both wrong but I doubt it.

I've also mentioned this before. A big factor in the long-term health of our collegiate program is to build up stronger youth and high school programs so that we are producing more actual D-1 capable football players. Unfortunately with all the scares about concussions this does not look to be like a likely scenario. Participation rates in the local youth programs have fallen drastically in the past few years.

So is your position that, by reaching the pinnacle, Kill and Claeys had this program as good as it can get, and the best we can hope for out of Fleck is that he is as good as them and can match their success?

With our local talent base I don't think we will ever get to the helmet school level of success where year in and year out we are in the hunt for the CFP. But I absolutely think we can get to the level of Iowa and Wisconsin and be in a position to compete for the West division title on a regular basis.

There is no reason why this program can't get to a point where it is a factor in the West as opposed to an also ran. It won't be easy but I have a feeling that Fleck can recruit the kind of players we are going to need to take that next step.

I've also mentioned this before. A big factor in the long-term health of our collegiate program is to build up stronger youth and high school programs so that we are producing more actual D-1 capable football players. Unfortunately with all the scares about concussions this does not look to be like a likely scenario. Participation rates in the local youth programs have fallen drastically in the past few years.

We develop ok talent...but the best leave for a neighboring state school. cuz ya know, it's exotic.

Top Bottom