Film Room: Gophers vs. Northwestern

DanielHouse

Reaction score
Since you guys really enjoyed the videos last week, here is some analysis from the Northwestern game:

I took a close look at Tanner Morgan’s lack of velocity, Northwestern’s use of stunts and diagnosed what happened on the unsuccessful 4th-and-1 run stop.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/yaE2ZxZdrPM" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I analyzed the play of Jamaal Teague, the monstrous game by Blake Cashman and the Gophers’ continued use of creative blitz packages. Also, what happened on the three-play touchdown drive before halftime?

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ZIjpjNFf3IY" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:

I think Mo made the mistake on the last offensive play highlighted. I haven't seen a situation in the last six games where a G is expected to kick out the end on a play like that. OTOH, we frequently use a G to chip someone on the line and slide off to the second level, which is what Andries did here. Besides, if Andries doesn't take the LB, the LB has a free shot at the ball carrier in the hole.

Mo is a strong, fearless blocker in the run game, but I think he took the wrong man here.

JTG

Thanks for the video and analysis. An educational 8-9 minutes.

I think Mo made the mistake on the last offensive play highlighted. I haven't seen a situation in the last six games where a G is expected to kick out the end on a play like that. OTOH, we frequently use a G to chip someone on the line and slide off to the second level, which is what Andries did here. Besides, if Andries doesn't take the LB, the LB has a free shot at the ball carrier in the hole.

Mo is a strong, fearless blocker in the run game, but I think he took the wrong man here.

JTG
I agree with this assesment. The guy off the end the RB is responsible to block the strong side crasher.

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk

Offense video:

- on the one stunt/blitz highlighted where Greene doesn't get out to block .... NW scheme simply beat us there. 5 guys to block 7 lined up in a blitz look. They had both a DE and an LB lined out outside him on the left ... he had to take the DE initially and they were so fast that he just couldn't get out to edge rushing LB. But that wasn't the guy who messed up the play anyway. The guy who blocked the ball/Morgan's arm was the left DE who stunted inside a bit. Both the left OT and G were blocking him initially, then the G had to hang on for dear life. Poor technique, tons of penetration. Very stout DL for NW ... they have to get credit too.

- Morgan really did lack velocity on some throws ... some were like lobbing a baseball out there, the receivers were sitting there waiting for the ball to arrive

- Bateman with a couple really horrible drops. His illness noted.

- On the wildcat that got stuff ... frankly, that was just an absolutely awesome play by the NW LB. He knew what our play was, and he beat our scheme. It was a run up the middle, so he went to the outside at the last second, raced around the end of the line, and made the tackle. I really doubt that Ibrahim even saw the guy, or that our scheme would've had that guy picked up. The thing that screwed it up was the fake hand off. If it had been a straight run up the middle from the instant it was snapped, then the NW LB wouldn't have been able to get home. The delay allowed it.

- One thing I haven't seen many (any?) comment on: did anyone notice that for several (a majority?) of the offensive snaps, the Gophers were playing with six OL??? Go back and watch again, and look for big #48. That certainly was not a kicker (as shown on the roster). It was Sam Schlueter, lined up as a TE. He was often tasked with blocking a DE, either in pass pro (allowing the entire line to slide away from that side) or in the run game. And in my opinion ... it was not very effective.

It kinda bothers me how poorly this offensive scheme uses the TE position. It really is just a 6th OL for many of the plays. At least they finally just admitted that and put a real OL back there. But if he hasn't been practicing blocking from that position, it can be a difficult transition. It makes it tough for us, because we're essentially playing down a player. They rush 4, and we have 6 guys blocking, plus the QB dropping back, and an RB staying in and getting out late. That's 7 defenders covering 3 WR .... that's not going to be highly successful.

Defense:

- We have to wait and see what Madison cooks up for us, how Rossi gameplans them, and what happens. But if we get another good defensive performance, then I can't see how Rossi doesn't get the job. He has made a couple minor personel adjustments, and I can only assume has simplified the crap out of the scheme, along with perhaps a more aggressive pressure playcalling at times .... and it has largely worked!

- Teague and Williamson I think have been two guys getting more reps and making a difference. Another guy I see getting more reps, and starting, is Sam Renner (90) on the DL. He seems very stout in there, even if he doesn't make a ton of tackles. He was a bench player earlier in the year, but seems to be getting the start now? And suddenly Cashman is an All-American .... I just have to wonder if Robb Smith loaded his plate up too much, scheme wise, and it was bogging him down too much and causing him to play slow? His damn hair is on fire now. Whatever you're doing, KEEP doing it!

This defense is going to give us a chance this year in Madison. It's up to the offense now to figure it out. If it were me, I would ditch the experiment of playing a 6th OL at TE ... play an actual TE, and *shock, horror* send the guy out on routes on passing plays and throw him the ball! Not that hard ... that's why everyone does it.

Would also somehow find a way to get the ball into Ibrahim's hands, as much as he can handle. He must be battling something ... because I often see him signaling to be taken out. Maybe he gets winded fast, which is OK if you're playing your butt off. But he is a weapon out of the backfield, and when thrown the ball on check down.

We have to be able to get the ball out quick, and with some velocity, when they blitz and stunt us. Everything that NW did against us that worked is on tape and Wisco is going to copy and paste it. They're going to be coming for Morgan and our OL with everything they have.

Top Bottom