rb Jason Williamson, Owatonna

march madness

Reaction score
I do not watch high school football as much as I watch high school basketball.
Watching Williamson in action and how dominant, fast, his vision, and cutting is against good competition its hard not to get excited. He looks like a poor man's Christian McCaffrey. 6-2 205lbs.

Do you think he will stay at rb? Looks like he could play RB, Safety, or WR and still return kicks.

4.7 40 doesn't scream Big Ten weapon to me. Maybe put some bulk on him and move to LB?

Curious if he ever sees the field as a RB.

Watching Williamson in action and how dominant, fast, his vision, and cutting is against good competition its hard not to get excited. He looks like a poor man's Christian McCaffrey. 6-2 205lbs.

Do you think he will stay at rb? Looks like he could play RB, Safety, or WR and still return kicks.

I wonder why

In all seriousness, I would bet money on this situation happening: Him "being given a shot" to start at RB and be "encouraged" to look at LB after a few weeks of practice.

According to comments the other day it was said he would be given an opportunity as a RB. However if that doesn't work out, Safety.

McCaffrey ran a 4.48 at the nfl combine. Who's to say Williamson can't get there in 2 3 years?

Sent from my RS988 using Tapatalk

I was thinking more of a poor man's Rick Fenney or Toby Gerhart or Danny Woodhead or Rex Burkhead.

David Cobb ran a 4.81 40 at the combine.

Sounds like the staff has promised him a shot at RB, but there's definitely a good chance he changes positions - S or LB would be my guess.

Not a ton of speed but has great football instincts. I am glad he's a Gopher!

His high school numbers are ridiculous but lets not get carried away because he is not going against great competition. I have no doubt he will get a shot at running back and maybe he will go the Marion Barber III route and earn his spot there but I would bet he ends up playing defense at the college level.

Don't get me wrong though, would love to see his high school numbers translate over to college. He is putting up video game numbers in most games right now.

Cadets are going to shut him down in the title game #TakeSTAte

I was thinking more of a poor man's Rick Fenney or Toby Gerhart or Danny Woodhead or Rex Burkhead.

Hmm I see more of a John Lynch or Chuck Cecil, but I guess you gotta him a shot to be Fenney or Gerhart.

His high school numbers are ridiculous but lets not get carried away because he is not going against great competition. I have no doubt he will get a shot at running back and maybe he will go the Marion Barber III route and earn his spot there but I would bet he ends up playing defense at the college level.

Don't get me wrong though, would love to see his high school numbers translate over to college. He is putting up video game numbers in most games right now.

After the last game or the game prior, he was averaging, AVERAGING 268 yards per game, including playoffs up to that point. Unless he is playing against grade schoolers, these numbers are impressive.

My mistake... checked the Minnesota Football Hub... 175 ypg. Still an awful lot of mileage.

Last edited:

Depends on if it is a real 4.7 or a fake 4.7

Yep. A real 4.7 is plenty fast for a B1G back. For instance I'm guessing that Ibrahim is probably a 4.8 guy and honestly I'd guess closer to 4.9. He has decent burst but hasn't ran away from anyone all year. Tyler Johnson is probably a 4.7 guy. Fast enough to be effective but not quite fast enough to run away from most DBs

Cobb pulled up at the combine due to his bad hamstring. He was a 4.6ish type guy when healthy. Fast enough but not a breakaway runner.

There gets to be a lot of hyperbole about some of these guys, but I was talking to some Owatonna folks and they told me Williamson has run a 4.5. Even if he has, that wouldn't indicate his consistent speed. I ran track in high school eons ago and I pulled one race out of my butt that I couldn't come near replicating. Some of the Owatonnans I talk with think he'll be a safety while others think they will put 20 pounds on him and move him to LB. Not many see him sticking on offense, but it's nice to see Fleck give him a shot there.

It is fun to watch him run. Like most of the other comments about him here, I would be surprised (but pleasantly surprised) to see him remain on offense for the Gophers. He is playing 5A ball now and his numbers (and I assume carries) have gone UP during the playoffs so it isn't as if he has been doing this against bad competition. Ya hold yer breath every time he touches the ball.

Personally, at this point in time, I'd take a good athlete with instincts and put him on D. But if PJ can't help himself and wants to see if he has another offensive weapon, so be it. I think he could be darn good LB for us.

Top Bottom