STrib: Gophers finding they have more in reserve this season

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Marcus:

In the Gophers’ first three games, Pitino started freshmen Gabe Kalscheur and Daniel Oturu in front of more experienced players such as Stull and the 7-footer Stockman. Kalscheur and Oturu made plays in crunch time, including a key steal, contested shot and rebound in the waning minutes. But those two and Omersa also showed their inexperience playing for the first time away from home against an athletic and physical SEC opponent. It helped to have veterans to rely on off the bench.

Stockman scored six points and grabbed three rebounds in 13 minutes. His emphatic dunk on two Aggies defenders was the highlight of the first half, when the Gophers took a 14-point lead.

In years past, the starters struggling spelled trouble. Early signs tell a different story this year, and after Sunday’s comeback Stull said this team could have a special season if they keep getting bench support like they did against Texas A&M.

“Everyone can be in that starting lineup,” Stull said. “If you do mess up, we have people to come and fill in. But keeping that confidence is key for us. After this road trip, our goal is to be in the Top 25 rolling out of here undefeated. We think the sky’s the limit for us, but we have to keep improving.”

http://www.startribune.com/gophers-finding-they-have-more-in-reserve-this-season/500884481/

Go Gophers!!

per Marcus:

In the Gophers’ first three games, Pitino started freshmen Gabe Kalscheur and Daniel Oturu in front of more experienced players such as Stull and the 7-footer Stockman. Kalscheur and Oturu made plays in crunch time, including a key steal, contested shot and rebound in the waning minutes. But those two and Omersa also showed their inexperience playing for the first time away from home against an athletic and physical SEC opponent. It helped to have veterans to rely on off the bench.

Stockman scored six points and grabbed three rebounds in 13 minutes. His emphatic dunk on two Aggies defenders was the highlight of the first half, when the Gophers took a 14-point lead.

In years past, the starters struggling spelled trouble. Early signs tell a different story this year, and after Sunday’s comeback Stull said this team could have a special season if they keep getting bench support like they did against Texas A&M.

“Everyone can be in that starting lineup,” Stull said. “If you do mess up, we have people to come and fill in. But keeping that confidence is key for us. After this road trip, our goal is to be in the Top 25 rolling out of here undefeated. We think the sky’s the limit for us, but we have to keep improving.”

http://www.startribune.com/gophers-finding-they-have-more-in-reserve-this-season/500884481/

Go Gophers!!
Kids have to finish better if they want to go undefeated and get into the top 25.
They have the athletic ability, but they need maturity... especially at the point guard position.

Kids have to finish better if they want to go undefeated and get into the top 25.
They have the athletic ability, but they need maturity... especially at the point guard position.

I know this is no real secret but we need solid PG play, keeping Murphy out of foul trouble, no major injuries, and good FT shooting to close out games. This is a veteran team and if they play smart, a tourney caliber team.

I know this is no real secret but we need solid PG play, keeping Murphy out of foul trouble, no major injuries, and good FT shooting to close out games. This is a veteran team and if they play smart, a tourney caliber team.

Some of the fouls Murphy commits as a senior just puzzle the heck out of me. Does his brain just shut down? He is so valuable to us on offense that we desperately need him to stay on the floor for 30 minutes a game.

Then, we need Washington to realize he doesn’t need to jack up threes to help this team. Maybe one or two a game (unless he makes one or both). We need him to control the ball, and occasionally drive it to the hoop and dish or score.

Other guys need to learn their roles better, too. This can be a very good team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some of the fouls Murphy commits as a senior just puzzle the heck out of me. Does his brain just shut down? He is so valuable to us on offense that we desperately need him to stay on the floor for 30 minutes a game.

Then, we need Washington to realize he doesn’t need to jack up threes to help this team. Maybe one or two a game (unless he makes one or both). We need him to control the ball, and occasionally drive it to the hoop and dish or score.

Other guys need to learn their roles better, too. This can be a very good team.

So you’re saying Washington shouldn’t really shoot 3s unless he can average over 50%?

You’re right on Murph. Hopefully Oturu keeps improving, but he’s not nearly as productive as a senior Murph. He definitely is needed on the floor.

Top Bottom