Shama: Coyle on whether U would schedule game at US Bank Stadium: "Never say never.”

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Shama: Coyle on whether U would schedule game at US Bank Stadium: "Never say never.”

per Shama:

Before Saturday’s Minnesota-Northwestern game at TCF Bank Stadium a street vendor was hoping to sell tickets at $15 each on face value tickets about four times that amount. He was thinking about asking $5 each for the 11 a.m. game where the temperature was 23 degrees at kickoff—the fifth lowest in the stadium’s history.

The announced attendance of 32,134 was the second lowest since the facility opened in 2009. Minnesota announced a crowd of 31,068 for the Purdue game on November 10. Two Sports Headliners sources reported actual attendance was 14,000 to 15,000. If so, it’s certain the actual attendance for last Saturday’s game was similar.

There’s no question cold and rain have made Minnesota home attendance less in recent seasons than if the Gophers played indoors like they did for more than 25 years in the Metrodome. I asked athletic director Mark Coyle last week if he might consider scheduling the last game of the home schedule at U.S. Bank Stadium in future years.

Coyle said he and his colleagues hadn’t discussed the possibility. Then he offered, “…Never say never.”

http://shamasportsheadliners.com/

Go Gophers!!

I think the U should create a committee of professors and students to come up with a recommendation as to whether to do this or not.

giphy.gif

I don't hate the idea of it, on occasion. I don't know if it will solve the problem they want it to.

I think the weather was only a small deterrent for most people. It wasn't super cold out by Minnesota standards and it was a "clean" cold. I've seen the place full when it was snowing or when it was much colder. People are down about the team and the economics of having season tickets are becoming bad.

I think there would have been a few thousand more people there if the game was at US Bank, but it might have looked even more empty in comparison. Like a High School state championship game. It's not like we don't have a ready answer to the "What if Gopher Football played indoors, off campus?" questions.

For a special occasion, I think it could work alright for the Gophers. There are usually a few of those special kickoff games during opening weekend at NFL stadiums that seem pretty good.

I'm actually surprised there hasn't been a major college football game there yet. I figured with that being built, the Big Ten might look at it for the title game. I thought the conference might eventually consider rotating between Lucas Oil, Ford Field and US Bank.

I don't hate the idea of it, on occasion. I don't know if it will solve the problem they want it to.

I think the weather was only a small deterrent for most people. It wasn't super cold out by Minnesota standards and it was a "clean" cold. I've seen the place full when it was snowing or when it was much colder. People are down about the team and the economics of having season tickets are becoming bad.

I think there would have been a few thousand more people there if the game was at US Bank, but it might have looked even more empty in comparison. Like a High School state championship game. It's not like we don't have a ready answer to the "What if Gopher Football played indoors, off campus?" questions.

Bingo

per Shama:

Before Saturday’s Minnesota-Northwestern game at TCF Bank Stadium a street vendor was hoping to sell tickets at $15 each on face value tickets about four times that amount. He was thinking about asking $5 each for the 11 a.m. game where the temperature was 23 degrees at kickoff—the fifth lowest in the stadium’s history.

The announced attendance of 32,134 was the second lowest since the facility opened in 2009. Minnesota announced a crowd of 31,068 for the Purdue game on November 10. Two Sports Headliners sources reported actual attendance was 14,000 to 15,000. If so, it’s certain the actual attendance for last Saturday’s game was similar.

There’s no question cold and rain have made Minnesota home attendance less in recent seasons than if the Gophers played indoors like they did for more than 25 years in the Metrodome. I asked athletic director Mark Coyle last week if he might consider scheduling the last game of the home schedule at U.S. Bank Stadium in future years.

Coyle said he and his colleagues hadn’t discussed the possibility. Then he offered, “…Never say never.”

Go Gophers!!

This is a ridiculous notion to play in Minneapolis. It will NEVER happen. Parking services and TCF bank were the two highest donors to the stadium besides the tax payers and neither will accept a move. Who will reimburse them for their losses?

Hate this idea. Of course that means it will eventually happen.

If they do that, I will not attend the game.

Only way we should ever play there is a “neutral” site game. Likely non-conference.

If we played there two years in a row in lieu of home and home with Wisconsin or Iowa I’d go to both.

I thought it was a pretty nice day for football. My toes got a little cold, but other than that it was OK. My daughter thought it was a good day for ice cream, but she thinks any day and weather is good for ice cream. If the game was at US Bank Stadium, there might have been some more people, but that would be more for the novelty of it, and the novelty would wear off. I've only been to US Bank Stadium for a baseball game myself. I'm glad we got funding for TCF when we did, otherwise, we may well have been permanent tenants at the Vikings stadium.

why does the BIG Championship game always have to be in Indy - US Bank, Ford Field are other reasonable indoor options - if you want to roll the dice you cold play outside at Soldiers Field, Lambeau albeit that Green Bay may not be the cultural mecca the conference desires, but having said that, why Indy??

If it happens, I think it will just take the place of a non-conference road game.

He seems to conveniently leave out the fact that the coldest game (Wisconsin in 2013 (53,090)) ever at TCF was also the second highest attendance the stadium had.

why does the BIG Championship game always have to be in Indy - US Bank, Ford Field are other reasonable indoor options - if you want to roll the dice you cold play outside at Soldiers Field, Lambeau albeit that Green Bay may not be the cultural mecca the conference desires, but having said that, why Indy??

Why, Indy? Because they wanted it, made the most attractive bid, within easy driving distance to the majority of the conference, provides a guaranteed climate for the conferences centerpiece event, is truly a neutral site, attached to a convention center for other Big 10 activities, several nice hotels, bars and eateries within walking distance...

An occasional game at US Bank Stadium might be kind of cool but I wouldn't do it for weather reasons.

If it happens, I think it will just take the place of a non-conference road game.

Agree...only scenario I would consider as I don't think another B1G team would be willing to give up a home date.

Why, Indy? Because they wanted it, made the most attractive bid, within easy driving distance to the majority of the conference, provides a guaranteed climate for the conferences centerpiece event, is truly a neutral site, attached to a convention center for other Big 10 activities, several nice hotels, bars and eateries within walking distance...

They should move it around. 1/3 each at Indy, here, and Detroit.

per Shama:

Go Gophers!!

This would be typical for the University of Minnesota. If they were to play a game at US Bank, which would be a great one time thing, 2016, 2017, or 2018 would have been the year to do it when the stadium was still new. Instead they will probably do it in 2025 when the novelty of the new US Bank Stadium has worn off and there would be no added tickets sales for the game there...

Playing a game at US Bank is a great idea ... AFTER you've sold out every single game at TCF for 3-4 years and you could sell even more tickets if you had the capacity.

Until then, it may just be the stupidest freaking idea I've ever heard.

JTG

Worst idea ever.

I'd seriously contemplate dropping my season tickets if this happened

They should move it around. 1/3 each at Indy, here, and Detroit.

Detroit should definitely be in the mix and US Bank would make sense for WI, NEB, IOWA and of course us.

Although MetLife Stadium in NJ probably is more likely.

An occasional game at US Bank Stadium might be kind of cool but I wouldn't do it for weather reasons.

I agree. I'd like to see a Lambeau/USBank Home and Home with Wisconsin or a home and home with a non-conference opponent on neutral field.

That's it in a nutshell. When you charge large amounts of money and in return churn out large amounts of incompetence on a regular basis to those paying customers, people are going to be turned off. It really isn't that hard to figure out.

This is the same way I feel about it.

It was brought up because of low attendance, which was implied to be because of weather. But it's not really the weather ... Nebraska, Wisconsin, Iowa ... they wouldn't have a problem selling out in 20s degrees. That's not it.

Give people a reason to come, and for a reasonable price ... and voilà, they will.

I am against the idea. The game belongs on campus. I don't care if this is as close as it is or not.

game

The only way I would be in favor of this is if we ever get competitive and we are looking to do a home and away OOC game with a helmet school.

this will probably never happen, but if the Gophers played NDSU at US Bank, I think it would be close to a sellout. Unfortunately, there would probably be more NDSU fans than Gopher fans.

This reminds me of the idea Joe Soucheray used to push - to have the Twins split their schedule between Target field and the Metrodome based on the weather. In theory, it makes some sense, but the commercial and business considerations made it impossible.

Playing a HOME game there would be a travesty. I would only back the idea if it was a "neutral site" nonconference game. That would actually be fun. I am already annoyed that the great Saturday tradition of college football is now played at mystery times (mystery until days before kickoff), on Thursdays, and now Fridays too. Can you imagine a home schedule with only 4 Saturday games in TCF Bank Stadium? Facepalm.

Top Bottom