START IW Vs. Santa Clara!

The ceiling of this team is higher with IW at the point. Coffey is a passable option for dribbling the ball up the court but that's about it. IW is the ONLY player on the team that is quick enough to break down a defense.

I would let him play through his over exuberance to every extent possible. Bring Gabe off the bench.

What do ball handling skills matter if a possession ends up with an ill-advised shot or pass that sails out of bounds? A turnover is a turnover.

The last two games Washington's A/TO ratio is 4/3 in 35 minutes, with 3-for-15 shooting from the field.

"Maturity" is all about taking care of the ball, knowing what's a smart shot or pass, and what isn't. Washington hasn't shown he has that yet.

JTG

Cherrypicking are we? I notice you left the first game out where IW had 11 assists and 2 turnovers. For the first three games, Coffey has 12 assists and 10 turnovers. Washington has 15 assists and 5 turnovers. One doesn't have to be very good at math to know who has the better ratio. Washington is a poor shooter but 20 shots in 3 games isn't all that many and a point has to shoot sometimes to keep the defense honest.

Pretty dishonest argument I must say. You shouldn't assume that all posters are too lazy or helpless to check your claims.

Good lord, this thread is ridiculous. Coffey has one tough game in a bad match-up against big, physical guards and you want him benched? Didn't have a great game, but you've gotta give him some time.

He'll learn from it and improve. It's like we're convinced he'll automatically commit 6 turnovers every game the rest of the season.

From what I watched I thought a majority of the team played a touch too fast for a good majority of the game, that's what caused a majority of the turnovers. I know they want to run and play fast, but it can be done under control. The good news is they had 20 turnovers, didn't play all that great and still won. It's a great game to learn from.

Good lord, this thread is ridiculous. Coffey has one tough game in a bad match-up against big, physical guards and you want him benched? Didn't have a great game, but you've gotta give him some time.

He'll learn from it and improve. It's like we're convinced he'll automatically commit 6 turnovers every game the rest of the season.

From what I watched I thought a majority of the team played a touch too fast for a good majority of the game, that's what caused a majority of the turnovers. I know they want to run and play fast, but it can be done under control. The good news is they had 20 turnovers, didn't play all that great and still won. It's a great game to learn from.

No one wants Coffey benched, they want him off the point.

The ceiling of this team is higher with IW at the point. Coffey is a passable option for dribbling the ball up the court but that's about it. IW is the ONLY player on the team that is quick enough to break down a defense.

I would let him play through his over exuberance to every extent possible. Bring Gabe off the bench.

Agree 100%. When Gabe plays minutes with a greater mix of bench players, he's more likely to be a first or second scoring option. On the starting unit, he's likely to be a fourth or fifth option. As far as Washington, he has the best ball handling skills on the team by some distance. We should also remember how his shot was dreadful early in the season last year but improved significantly as the year went on. I doubt he'll ever be a great shooter but he should improve with time.

Cherrypicking are we? I notice you left the first game out where IW had 11 assists and 2 turnovers. For the first three games, Coffey has 12 assists and 10 turnovers. Washington has 15 assists and 5 turnovers. One doesn't have to be very good at math to know who has the better ratio. Washington is a poor shooter but 20 shots in 3 games isn't all that many and a point has to shoot sometimes to keep the defense honest.

Pretty dishonest argument I must say. You shouldn't assume that all posters are too lazy or helpless to check your claims.

Well now, aren't you a pleasant fellow.

"Dishonest?" By using data from the most recent games? Funny. It's especially hilarious when you accuse me of "cherrypicking" while clinging to your guy's performance against Omaha, which has a combined record of 10-25 dating back to last year. Of course, Omaha competes in the powerhouse Summit League, which has placed 26 teams in the NCAA tournament ... in the last 27 years.

Yes, by all means, let's base our personnel decisions based on performances against a team like that, instead of how we looked against Utah (70-33 the last three years) and Texas A & M (65-36 the last three years).

And you accuse me of assuming that "all posters are too lazy or helpless to check your claims."

Please.

JTG

Rockford, Coffey IS NOT a PG, pure and simple and that's all that is being proffered here. He gets near the key and then looks to get rid of it because he's not that comfortable with the ball in his hands. Coffey is a GOOD ball handler and we need him on the court in the position where he best helps the team. Its not at PG.

Rockford, Coffey IS NOT a PG, pure and simple and that's all that is being proffered here. He gets near the key and then looks to get rid of it because he's not that comfortable with the ball in his hands. Coffey is a GOOD ball handler and we need him on the court in the position where he best helps the team. Its not at PG.

I'm not trying to claim Coffey is a solid PG. I'm merely saying that Washington isn't, either.

And there was a hell of a lot more than that proffered in the post I was responding to.

JTG

I don't think Coffey will last at PG but time will tell. We'll see how he does against Washington first, I guess.

In the last 10 games last year- when IW started getting serious Big Ten playing time he average 14 points, 3 assists and 1.6 turnovers. FG% was 44%. (not bad stats for a frosh!) He shoots too often and dribbles too much, over penetrates and gets stuffed. But he can handle the ball better than anyone we have and he can break a defense down. The question is whether or not he can keep his game under control. My opinion is that Pitino desperately wants IW to take the team over at the point. Right now I think he is using Coffey as a way to let Washington know that he has to play under control if he is going to get the keys. The team only goes far if IW gets better. I think he will. If he concentrates on dishing off and taking only wide open threes later in the clock- he will be fine and so will the Gophers.

In the last 10 games last year- when IW started getting serious Big Ten playing time he average 14 points, 3 assists and 1.6 turnovers. FG% was 44%. (not bad stats for a frosh!) He shoots too often and dribbles too much, over penetrates and gets stuffed. But he can handle the ball better than anyone we have and he can break a defense down. The question is whether or not he can keep his game under control. My opinion is that Pitino desperately wants IW to take the team over at the point. Right now I think he is using Coffey as a way to let Washington know that he has to play under control if he is going to get the keys. The team only goes far if IW gets better. I think he will. If he concentrates on dishing off and taking only wide open threes later in the clock- he will be fine and so will the Gophers.

+1

Agreed. However, I have some concern about IW's psyche and how he responds. I hope he is using coming off the bench as motivation but these things can have unintended effects. Hope this is not the case. We need the young man and I really want him to succeed.

The question is whether or not he can keep his game under control. My opinion is that Pitino desperately wants IW to take the team over at the point.

Bingo.

I'm not writing the kid off. I just don't think he's played anywhere near his potential. Everybody wants to see him play better.

JTG

Not sure why this is relevant. You don't have to take out all 5 starters when you put in the subs. You can rotate them. I don't think OP wants a lineup of Hurt, Stull, Stockman, McBrayer and Omersa.

Somewhere in NC, Tubby just shed a tear.

Agreed. However, I have some concern about IW's psyche and how he responds. I hope he is using coming off the bench as motivation but these things can have unintended effects. Hope this is not the case. We need the young man and I really want him to succeed.

Agreed. Your starting PG cant be someone who starts moping around every time a few possessions dont go his way. If Washington can make better decisions and keep his head in the game, we will do alright.

It seems obvious that our weakest position on the team is at PG. I hope the Carr appeal is approved. :(

It seems obvious that our weakest position on the team is at PG. I hope the Carr appeal is approved. :(

I hope Royce White and Mbawkwe are cleared before the B1G regular season!

Coffey is not a point guard. He is far more effective as a wing. But, I think maybe Pitino needs to suffer through proving that to Amir and his dad to keep the Coffey's happy.

The biggest problem goes back to roster management. We only have one eligible point guard on the team. Pitino tried to land Crandall and he would have helped but he has 14 assists and 13 turnovers to date for Gonzaga.
We needed a ball handler who could also defend the other teams point guard. That ability isn't on the roster at all.

Ball handling, defending the other teams point guard and someone who can make free throws at the end of games are three reasons we are going lose winnable games this year. I think that unsung or even boring type of player should be relatively easy to recruit if you tried. If we had him, I think we could fix most all the other short comings. (Caveat: we are pretty ordinary without Murphy on the floor being the biggest worry for the other team and making everybody else on our team able to do their thing)

I hope Royce White and Mbawkwe are cleared before the B1G regular season!

This is a surefire tournament team with the addition of Rakeem Buckles.

I previously stated on the thread after the Utah game that Coffey will get exposed by Big 10 teams since he cannot dribble right.
The disconcerting thing with Coffey's dribbling is that he always catches the ball and/or his positioning is always in a place where he can only dribble left. He never catches a ball in a triple threat position thereby allowing himself to go either left or right. He automatically is in a stance/position to go left first and then moves to the right. This in and of itself makes his first "right" step (no pun intended) a step slower.

As I have also previously mentioned, I have no idea how he has not fixed this since high school.

As long as I am "picking" on Coffey, I hated the fact that when we played zone against Texas A&M that he consistently stood with his arms to the side. Spread those arms and utilize our length in a zone defense!!!

Anybody have an inside scoop on our probability of landing Corey Jospeh?

I don't have any info on him, but I am hearing really positive steam on Isaiah Whitehead!

I don't have any info on him, but I am hearing really positive steam on Isaiah Whitehead!

I've heard we are in serious consideration by George Mikan.

Top Bottom