Starting lineup against Washington

Otis

Reaction score
I'm thinking the starting lineup gets tweaked for the start of the Washington game. Coffey is not equipped to go against Washington's defensive guard pressure. I think we will roll out:

PG: Washington
SG: McBrayer/Kalesheur
SF: Coffey
PF: Murphy
C: Oturu

Of course, Coffey will probably look amazing versus Santa Clara so there is no sure way to predict this out of Pitino.

I'm thinking the starting lineup gets tweaked for the start of the Washington game. Coffey is not equipped to go against Washington's defensive guard pressure. I think we will roll out:

PG: Washington
SG: McBrayer/Kalesheur
SF: Coffey
PF: Murphy
C: Oturu

Of course, Coffey will probably look amazing versus Santa Clara so there is no sure way to predict this out of Pitino.

Just started a thread with this lol. Good thinking!

One thing that has become pretty clear to me is other than the walk-ons, Hurt should see the least minutes of anyone. Just can't see him getting many minutes. Stull is a much better, more complete, and confident player than Hurt. Stull is going to become more & more valuable as the season rolls along. He knows how to play. I'm completely comfortable when he's on the floor. Never the case with Hurt, especially when we play athletic teams like we did last night. Too much for him, he gets overwhelmed.

One thing that has become pretty clear to me is other than the walk-ons, Hurt should see the least minutes of anyone. Just can't see him getting many minutes. Stull is a much better, more complete, and confident player than Hurt. Stull is going to become more & more valuable as the season rolls along. He knows how to play. I'm completely comfortable when he's on the floor. Never the case with Hurt, especially when we play athletic teams like we did last night. Too much for him, he gets overwhelmed.

I didn't even think he played. Looking at the box score I must have missed the 1-2 minutes he was actually on the floor. Hurt was 3rd from the end of bench with the two walk-ons by his side. Yikes, he got passed up quick.

I agree. I was impressed with him.

Washington
McBrayer
Coffey
Murphy
Oturu

Agree. Kalsheuer is one of our 5 best players but sometimes the 6th man role can be a big one and I think that's what Pitino should do here. The ability to bring a bench of Kalsheuer, Stull and Curry who are all guys that are good enough to start on a solid Big Ten team is a nice situation to have.

This is our best shooting team in a long time (IMO).

Agree. Kalsheuer is one of our 5 best players but sometimes the 6th man role can be a big one and I think that's what Pitino should do here. The ability to bring a bench of Kalsheuer, Stull and Curry who are all guys that are good enough to start on a solid Big Ten team is a nice situation to have.

I can't wait to get Curry back. He'll be starting when he gets back up to speed.

Stull has played 27 minutes as a gopher so far. They have been a good 27 minutes, but be fair to Michael as you've seen him as a freshman and have more of a basis to judge and find reasons to not trust him. Neither is probably more than 10-12 minutes a game unless injuries come up in our or Kalchaeur slows down.

This is our best shooting team in a long time (IMO).

I want Gabe starting and playing alongside Murphy, Oturu and Washington. We need the spacing.

Stull has played 27 minutes as a gopher so far. They have been a good 27 minutes, but be fair to Michael as you've seen him as a freshman and have more of a basis to judge and find reasons to not trust him. Neither is probably more than 10-12 minutes a game unless injuries come up in our or Kalchaeur slows down.

Completely disagree. When on D, the opposing teams tend to attack Hurt. The TV camera even caught an opposing coach saying it in a huddle last season. On offense, Hurt seems to have zero confidence in his shot. I’m no longer surprised when airs a 3.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stull is definitely better, but they also play different positions, so If Pitino plays Hurt more than Stull some games, it isn't necessarily because he thinks he's the better player. Once Curry is back, I'm not sure where Hurt is gonna find PT.

Stull is definitely better, but they also play different positions, so If Pitino plays Hurt more than Stull some games, it isn't necessarily because he thinks he's the better player. Once Curry is back, I'm not sure where Hurt is gonna find PT.

Good point, but I think they're close enough in "position" to make a comparison. I'd call Hurt a 3/undersized 4 in emergency, Stull a 2/3?

Curry coming back will have little affect on Hurt's playing time. Jarvis is the one who is going to get booted from the rotation when Curry comes back.

A bigger affect would be if IW starts and Kalscheur or Dupree come off the bench. Then you have two 3 point shooting wings in front of Hurt also on the bench.

If Gabe and Dupree are both end still starting then Hurt will still get a few minutes as the backup three regardless of what happens with Curry.

Good point, but I think they're close enough in "position" to make a comparison. I'd call Hurt a 3/undersized 4 in emergency, Stull a 2/3?

Yeah that's fair. They compete for minutes at the 3. Was just making the point that Hurt won't compete with Stull for minutes at the 2 and Stull won't compete with Hurt for minutes at the 4. I like Stull a lot. It's a nice change to have a player who we're confident in who is struggling to get a lot of playing time.

Curry coming back will have little affect on Hurt's playing time. Jarvis is the one who is going to get booted from the rotation when Curry comes back.

A bigger affect would be if IW starts and Kalscheur or Dupree come off the bench. Then you have two 3 point shooting wings in front of Hurt also on the bench.

If Gabe and Dupree are both end still starting then Hurt will still get a few minutes as the backup three regardless of what happens with Curry.

Hurt and Curry both play minutes at the 4, so his return will certainly make it harder for Hurt to get playing time.

Jelly wont start. Kalscheur is vital in starting lineup. Hes our most reliable player.

Well that's insane. You think a freshman who's played a few games is better than our double-double machine who is one of the best PFs in the program's history?

Completely disagree. When on D, the opposing teams tend to attack Hurt. The TV camera even caught an opposing coach saying it in a huddle last season. On offense, Hurt seems to have zero confidence in his shot. I’m no longer surprised when airs a 3.

Sent frowwm my iPhone using Tapatalk
I was at the game last night and watched the warmups pretty closely. I am not sure Hurt made more than 5% of his 3 pointers in all of the warmups.

Well that's insane. You think a freshman who's played a few games is better than our double-double machine who is one of the best PFs in the program's history?

LOL. I think Thomas has DLS connections.

I was at the game last night and watched the warmups pretty closely. I am not sure Hurt made more than 5% of his 3 pointers in all of the warmups.

It was like that at the Utah game during warmups. He kept missing all of his outside shots and was just shaking his head in disbelief. That is why I was so excited when he actually hit a long 2 later in that game. It looks like he has lost his confidence.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Top Bottom