Fire the coach?

What should be done with PJ Fleck

• Total voters
People that are worried about the negativity need to remember that at least those people care - it's when people stop caring that we really have a problem in our fan base.

It's 75-1 in favor of keeping him. It's pretty obvious what people think. Can we shut this thread down now?

With all due respect, it's one thing to say that the Gophers should not fire the coach Now. That's what the poll is asking.

That is not the same as saying they endorse the coach or think he's doing a great job.

If the Gophers are 5-6 going into the Wisconsin game next year, do you think the same poll would get the same results?

People that are worried about the negativity need to remember that at least those people care - it's when people stop caring that we really have a problem in our fan base.
+1

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

The votes are 55-0 to keep him. Apparently you think he should be fired? Now or after the Wisconsin game? :confused:

No he should not be fired and to even bring it up is stupid. You can say it’s just one guy but there are thousands more like him who believe it is a good idea

No he should not be fired and to even bring it up is stupid. You can say it’s just one guy but there are thousands more like him who believe it is a good idea

Social media is full of these people. But as someone pointed out here a week or two ago, most of those people aren’t big Gophers fans. Most people who follow the program and college football in general know how stupid it is to even consider it at this point.

This thing about being outcoached is a bunch of BS. Tell me how he was outcocahed? If not for the turnovers this game might have wound up in the Gopher’s favor. Also, Fleck can’t prevent dropped passes or block on 3rd or 4th and ones. Souhan and anybody who agrees with him or stupid. If you think Fitzgerald and NW were that much better than the Gophers you don’t know football.

Boy - seems like we can’t point to the coaches for anything that goes wrong. I’m starting to wonder why we even have coaches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boy - seems like we can’t point to the coaches for anything that goes wrong. I’m starting to wonder why we even have coaches.

It is interesting. Kind of a shoe meet other foot situation.

When you going to change your tag line from 2020? Fleck recently added a couple years onto it...

Claeys was responsible for on field performance and off field behavior. PJ not responsible for on field performance or off field behavior of players that were already here.

For people claiming this is a dumb post, there sure are a lot of responses lol.

Honestly want to see if any of the sky is falling people actually vote to say he should befired

I can't believe it took a poll for you to figure out that concern about the results doesn't equal thinking it is time to fire Fleck.

Back to the poll.

Currently 108-2 Don't fire Fleck.

The two posters who want him fired?

Halsey Hall

Iowa

Speaking of getting fired, 37Score hasn’t posted since the day before Robb was let go. Coincidence or not considering his passionate explanation of how Robb’s defense was in fact better than Kill’s at the same point in their tenures.

I might do this poll every week next year. It has gotten me a lot of criticism. Exciting

As much as PJ drives many insane with his home brewed “philosophies” and meaningless jargons, this is what we signed on for. It was not a surprise; this is his shtick. It’s may be we have a guy with a 10 Gallon Hat and no cattle . . . But, it’s TWO YEARS, so that’s still “may” . . . Why would we fire a guy two years in when everyone knew this was his deal? This is a conversation to be had if we’re still playing in front of 15,000 people with 2 or 3 BIG wins in 2020 - or we seriously regress next year. He needs four years. It looks goofy and alienates a bunch of people - but, it is what it is now - and it was no secret about his personality type. Maybe this stuff will work (?). In any event, you can’t know with any certainty in two years.

PJ Fleck for some is what the Vikings GM Rick Spielman is for me.

Some people love him. Some say he's doing a great job. I look at the fact Spielman has been here about 15 years and not a single Super Bowl appearance and I wonder after each loss how the man has a job and why people defend him.
The difference is with Rick is he's been here longer, and results aren't much better. Fleck on the other hand is someone whom I can identify with.

Fleck, or whoever Coyle would have hired, would have been a target for some people simply for being Coyle / Kalers hire. In the case with Fleck, he's a super optimistic, teacher, new age coach. If we had Les Miles, some might have handled that change better, but many would be wondering if he was past his prime.

it is nice to see that Tracy Cleays is still reading and voting on GH.

is the other Souhan or Barriero?

The difference is with Rick is he's been here longer, and results aren't much better.

Jokes are funny.

Spielman's been here 12 years. During that time, the Vikings are 104-95-2 (.522), with 5 playoff appearances, 4 division titles, and 2 NFC Championship game appearances. This is not including how the rest of this year goes, which should be another playoff appearance at least if the Vikings don't sh1t the bed. The Vikings also don't get the benefit of 2-3 games against lower division foes every year. Also, statistically (assuming equal distribution among all teams), the Vikings should have 3 division titles, 1-2 NFC Championship game appearances, and 0 Super Bowl appearances at this point - all numbers they've met or exceeded during Spielman's term.

Fleck's been here just under 2 years. During that time, the Gophers are 10-13 (.435) with no bowl games and an unlikely shot at garnering a bottom-tier bowl game with a significant upset next Saturday. Oh, and in the subset of games against their conference peers, they're 4-13 (.235). Even if he manages to somehow upset wisconsin, all he has to do is average 5.5 Big Ten wins each of the next two years just to match the performance of the man he was hired to replace.

But yes, the "results aren't much better." Your sycophant game needs some work.

With all due respect, it's one thing to say that the Gophers should not fire the coach Now. That's what the poll is asking.

That is not the same as saying they endorse the coach or think he's doing a great job.

If the Gophers are 5-6 going into the Wisconsin game next year, do you think the same poll would get the same results?

Thank you for clarifying. I have no idea how the internet works.

Jokes are funny.

Spielman's been here 12 years. During that time, the Vikings are 104-95-2 (.522), with 5 playoff appearances, 4 division titles, and 2 NFC Championship game appearances. ...

There are 32 teams in the NFL, 16 teams in the NFC and 4 teams in the NFC North. Given draft rules that reinforce parity, probabilities alone would indicate in the past 12 years the Vikings should have made 4-5 playoff appearances, won 3 NFC Norths, made 1-2 NFC Championships, and had a 2/3 probability of playing in a Super Bowl. Spielman is performing barely above probability on the first three and below on the last/biggest (Super Bowl appearance). I wouldn't use the Spielman and the Vikings as a benchmark until and if the team goes to the Super Bowl soon.

BTW, I recommend NOT applying the same probabilities to the Gophers over the last 50 years unless you want to get depressed.

There are 32 teams in the NFL, 16 teams in the NFC and 4 teams in the NFC North. Given draft rules that reinforce parity, probabilities alone would indicate in the past 12 years the Vikings should have made 4-5 playoff appearances, won 3 NFC Norths, made 1-2 NFC Championships, and had a 2/3 probability of playing in a Super Bowl. Spielman is performing barely above probability on the first three and below on the last/biggest (Super Bowl appearance). I wouldn't use the Spielman and the Vikings as a benchmark until and if the team goes to the Super Bowl soon.

BTW, I recommend NOT applying the same probabilities to the Gophers over the last 50 years unless you want to get depressed.

The last line of the first paragraph actually points out how they've done statistically compared to the league distribution...states they've met or exceeded the norm.

The last line of the first paragraph actually points out how they've done statistically compared to the league distribution...states they've met or exceeded the norm.

True. By comparison, if Fleck gets to the point where the Gophers win the West 1 of every 7 years, would most fans be happy? Probably not. However, it would be a great accomplishment based on the past few decades results.

True. By comparison, if Fleck gets to the point where the Gophers win the West 1 of every 7 years, would most fans be happy? Probably not. However, it would be a great accomplishment based on the past few decades results.

Based on what I've seen of Fleck and company to date...I'd be fairly pleased if he could do this.

I believe most fans would be ecstatic to win the division 1/7 years.

I believe most fans would be ecstatic to win the division 1/7 years.

I agree. Most that I know anyways.

If this wasn't Gopherhole, I would think it is strange that we have now moved on to the stage where we are taking fans to task for not hypothetically supporting Fleck for his hypothetical Big 10 West Championship.

Is this a serious post? Actual Gopher fans would be ecstatic with winning the West 1 out of every 7 years. At some point that would get old and expectations would increase, but for now, if Fleck wins the West some time in the next 5 years, he'll be like a God around here.

Top Bottom