Fire the coach?

What should be done with PJ Fleck

• Total voters
If the Gophers fire fleck before year 4 I will never be a Gopher fan again. If we just start firing coaches after a year and a half then we're basically a college Cleveland Browns, and we deserve to lose. Even though all fan bases have idiots like OP, seems this entire website is chalk full of them.

chock.

Although his record to date may not be what we all had hoped for, it’s much too soon to consider firing a coach as thin as PJ Fleck.

63-1 to keep so far. Apparently we have more logical people in the gopherhole so far than what I believed.

Next year is really the year when the rubber hits the road. Barring catastrophe, he shouldn't be fired after next year. But that's when it starts making any sense to have the discussion.

Yep, year 4 is when it should be considered if things aren’t better.

I think Fleck and Pitino will Be our coaches for a long long time. And I’m very glad for that. I’m also very glad to see our fan base is more logical than it often appears through the trolling that goes on in here. 68-1

To be blunt:

I am a fan of the Gopher program. I am not a fan of the Coach.

To be blunt: there are times when I am embarrassed that this guy is the coach of my favorite team. The slogans, catch phrases, sprinting after quarters, "failure is growth," et sic in infinitum. It makes me cringe. My co-workers make fun of me for being a Gopher fan, because they think Fleck is a clown.

BUT - I do NOT think he should be fired. Fleck says he has a plan. OK, show me some results. He's got 2 more years.

IF the Gophers do not show some legitimate improvement next year, Fleck will be on the hot seat. If, by the 2020 season, they are still struggling to become bowl-eligible, and are still wildly inconsistent, then I think the "Fire Fleck" poll will be legitimate and timely.

As of today, it's premature.

I’ve seen other people talk about their friends and co-workers making fun of them because of Fleck too. My thought is always why do you care? I’m assuming none of them are Gopher fans and they don’t follow the team closely at all. What matters is the opinion of you and I (and other Gopher fans).

Fleck improves his best, everyday. Elite! [emoji41] RTFB

Just like being passionate about this program is being negative about it.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

To each their own. That’s the problem. Too many think you have to be positive or else the dreaded “fan” tag comes out.
Different strokes for different folks Ewert.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"If Fleck loses to Wisconsin, he will continue to distract with shiny slogans, but any rational evaluation of him should conclude that the first two years of the Fleck experiment have been an embarrassment."

Jim Souhan

Fleck was completely out coached Saturday. Big difference between
Pat Fitzgerald and Fleck.

Although his record to date may not be what we all had hoped for, it’s much too soon to consider firing a coach as thin as PJ Fleck.

I agree, and that’s why I’m so surprised at Souhan’s article today. He of all people should appreciate a coach as ‘fit’ as PJ!

To each their own. That’s the problem. Too many think you have to be positive or else the dreaded “fan” tag comes out.
Different strokes for different folks Ewert.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yep, different strokes for different eras. Having been a student from 81-86 (remember when there was a five year plan?), and sitting through some of the most mind boggling changes in the program, you had masochists advising against using the term "fan". That makes you sensitive about effing up the program at that level again.

Being critical can be constructive and helpful, but it's easier to think in polarizing tribal terms rather than trying to understand issues.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

"If Fleck loses to Wisconsin, he will continue to distract with shiny slogans, but any rational evaluation of him should conclude that the first two years of the Fleck experiment have been an embarrassment."

Jim Souhan

Agreed. Pj needs to make significant progress next season.

Yep, year 4 is when it should be considered if things aren’t better.

If Fleck can’t get 8 wins next year with as soft an OOC and crossover schedule as you could ever ask for and extremely favorable home schedule, I think that would be evidence enough to decide whether to keep him.

It's 75-1 in favor of keeping him. It's pretty obvious what people think. Can we shut this thread down now?

If Fleck can’t get 8 wins next year with as soft an OOC and crossover schedule as you could ever ask for and extremely favorable home schedule, I think that would be evidence enough to decide whether to keep him.
Hogwash. What if they win 7 games but show clear signs of improvement and every game is competitive yet don’t meet your magical 8 win requirement? Fire him anyways?

Hogwash. What if they win 7 games but show clear signs of improvement and every game is competitive yet don’t meet your magical 8 win requirement? Fire him anyways?

Of course not, no way he would be fired (for performance) if he gets 7 wins but for the reasons I listed, as well as a huge reason - the team will be experienced, even with starting sophomores many of them will have a year of starting under their belt, and his recruits will have had plenty of time in the system - he will not have his biggest excuse to lean on (youth). If he is still saying the team is too young or not deep enough next year then he didn’t do a good enough job of retaining, developing old regime players, recruiting and developing his own players.

In the current Big Ten West, especially with a guaranteed 2 OOC wins, Nebby still rebuilding, Iowa and Wisky very average for them, Purdue probably restarting with a new coach, Illinois historically bad, and a crossover than does not include OSU, Mich OR MSU, you really cannot foresee a more favorable schedule the next couple years.

I think Fleck knows this and he probably knew it when he took the job. I think he honestly tanked the last 2 games last year on principle to make this year look better, and he knows that the schedule is easier 19-20 so he is likely to get more wins anyway.

When is the next time a decent P5 opponent is on the OOC schedule?

Fleck is beginning to wear out his welcome as far as I'm concerned but firing him right now is crazy talk. It would damn near kill this program.

As much as PJ drives many insane with his home brewed “philosophies” and meaningless jargons, this is what we signed on for. It was not a surprise; this is his shtick. It’s may be we have a guy with a 10 Gallon Hat and no cattle . . . But, it’s TWO YEARS, so that’s still “may” . . . Why would we fire a guy two years in when everyone knew this was his deal? This is a conversation to be had if we’re still playing in front of 15,000 people with 2 or 3 BIG wins in 2020 - or we seriously regress next year. He needs four years. It looks goofy and alienates a bunch of people - but, it is what it is now - and it was no secret about his personality type. Maybe this stuff will work (?). In any event, you can’t know with any certainty in two years.

To be blunt:

I am a fan of the Gopher program. I am not a fan of the Coach.

To be blunt: there are times when I am embarrassed that this guy is the coach of my favorite team. The slogans, catch phrases, sprinting after quarters, "failure is growth," et sic in infinitum. It makes me cringe. My co-workers make fun of me for being a Gopher fan, because they think Fleck is a clown.

BUT - I do NOT think he should be fired. Fleck says he has a plan. OK, show me some results. He's got 2 more years.

IF the Gophers do not show some legitimate improvement next year, Fleck will be on the hot seat. If, by the 2020 season, they are still struggling to become bowl-eligible, and are still wildly inconsistent, then I think the "Fire Fleck" poll will be legitimate and timely.

As of today, it's premature.
Your points are valid. Most of my friends think Fleck is indeed a clown. In the end, I care about W's and you can't get those if the players don't 100% buy in, honestly, I have no idea how that stands.

The sprinting between quarters is annoying as ****. The Fleckisms are annoying as ****. I can put up with all of it if and when he starts winning.

I think Fleck and Pitino will Be our coaches for a long long time. And I’m very glad for that. I’m also very glad to see our fan base is more logical than it often appears through the trolling that goes on in here. 68-1

Fleck's apostles keep talking about it as though there is this massive uprising of people who want Fleck fired. This is not happening. For some reason, there is a deranged group of people who hear "I don't think Fleck is doing very well" and, in their heads, turn it into "Fleck should be fired." Firing Fleck is something that is only brought up by those who like him most on this board so they can talk about what a bad idea it would be, even though no one else is actually talking about it.

Most stupid post I've seen in a long time...? What the eff is wrong with you besides being an idiot....

Jim Souhan

This thing about being outcoached is a bunch of BS. Tell me how he was outcocahed? If not for the turnovers this game might have wound up in the Gopher’s favor. Also, Fleck can’t prevent dropped passes or block on 3rd or 4th and ones. Souhan and anybody who agrees with him or stupid. If you think Fitzgerald and NW were that much better than the Gophers you don’t know football.

This thing about being outcoached is a bunch of BS. Tell me how he was outcocahed? If not for the turnovers this game might have wound up in the Gopher’s favor. Also, Fleck can’t prevent dropped passes or block on 3rd or 4th and ones. Souhan and anybody who agrees with him or stupid. If you think Fitzgerald and NW were that much better than the Gophers you don’t know football.

Northwestern looked like they had their stuff together for the two minute drill a lot better than we did. A big part of that is coaching.

Top Bottom