Leading up to the notorious third down call:

Gophers7NatTitlesBadgers0

New Orleans 2020
Reaction score
I know many of you were upset with the third and short call just before the missed FG but I'm noticing a disturbing pattern with Fleck not challenging bad spots. Leading up to the missed FG, Johnson catches the football and forward progress is stopped at the 20.

IMG_20181118_040626.jpg

However, the ball is spotted a yard behind at the 21.

IMG_20181118_040948.jpg

The following run by Ibrahim comes up short but clearly would have gained the first down if it was spotted correctly to begin with. PJ is able to challenge where the ball is spotted right? To me it seems like he doesn't have his players backs when he let's things like this go.

Yes, you can challenge the spot of the ball. When Fleck said that he would not be allowed to challenge the awful spot at OSU, either he was lying, or the official lied to him.

While you can challenge a spot it is really hard to get it changed through replay. It has to be indisputable video evidence and that is difficult because the angle and placement of the camera can have an impact on the viewers perspective. I agree that it looks like we have been the victim of our share of bad spots this season but you rarely see the spot get changed through a coaches challenge.

Forward progress is tricky as well because you have to factor in when the whistle blew to stop the play.

There have been a few more instances that I can recall and he seems to be either unaware or totally apathetic of the situation. Either way, it's becoming an issue imo.

While you can challenge a spot it is really hard to get it changed through replay. It has to be indisputable video evidence and that is difficult because the angle and placement of the camera can have an impact on the viewers perspective. I agree that it looks like we have been the victim of our share of bad spots this season but you rarely see the spot get changed through a coaches challenge.

Forward progress is tricky as well because you have to factor in when the whistle blew to stop the play.

Forward progress here seems black and white. TJ is at the 20 with possession and the defender starts making the tackle. The side judge is even shown marking the spot at the 20.

I agree it's not easy to correct bad spots "most times" but that's more than a yard difference in the above example and the Ohio St spot was ridiculous. I think it's harder on running plays in a pile than these two instances.

My bigger problem with PJ: What? The wildcat works too well? You wouldn't want to run it on third down and again on fourth if necessary? One of few times it has not worked was versus NW where somebody came off the edge unblocked...doesn't matter what the play it's in trouble if the ball carrier is tackled in the backfield immediately.

The officials actually spotted the ball just shy of the 20, and then just before Weyler got over it, moved it back a full yard. Throw that in with a couple blatant clock mishandlings and the officials game administration yesterday was really poor (to say nothing of any actual calls).

I like that PJF does not bitch and moan over every call but you are correct that these lazy incorrect ball placements have hurt this team. This was really bad during the OSU game and at the very least cost us momentum if not points.

I like that PJF does not bitch and moan over every call but you are correct that these lazy incorrect ball placements have hurt this team. This was really bad during the OSU game and at the very least cost us momentum if not points.

Exactly. The bad spot had potentially changed the outcome of the game. Also, I wonder if things like this will eventually cause the coach to lose the team sooner than later. They must be noticing the same thing.

I agree it's not easy to correct bad spots "most times" but that's more than a yard difference in the above example and the Ohio St spot was ridiculous. I think it's harder on running plays in a pile than these two instances.

My bigger problem with PJ: What? The wildcat works too well? You wouldn't want to run it on third down and again on fourth if necessary? One of few times it has not worked was versus NW where somebody came off the edge unblocked...doesn't matter what the play it's in trouble if the ball carrier is tackled in the backfield immediately.

+1

A potential bad spot doesn't change that Fleck and Co were once again out coached. Time management was poor, play calling on offense left much to be desired.

The ball is the program.

Last edited:

I know many of you were upset with the third and short call just before the missed FG but I'm noticing a disturbing pattern with Fleck not challenging bad spots. Leading up to the missed FG, Johnson catches the football and forward progress is stopped at the 20.

View attachment 5881

However, the ball is spotted a yard behind at the 21.

View attachment 5882

The following run by Ibrahim comes up short but clearly would have gained the first down if it was spotted correctly to begin with. PJ is able to challenge where the ball is spotted right? To me it seems like he doesn't have his players backs when he let's things like this go.

thanks for confirming what a few of us in section 113 thought. Crappy spots. They were drive killers.

I don't know what you expect PJ to do here? It's a bad spot that makes it 2nd and 3 instead of 2nd and 2? Either way you had a successful first down and should be able to put pressure on the defense with favorable 2nd and short and 3rd and short opportunities. I think the issues are solely with the play calling/decision making on 2nd, 3rd, and 4th downs going forward after that spot.

Forward progress here seems black and white. TJ is at the 20 with possession and the defender starts making the tackle. The side judge is even shown marking the spot at the 20.

Thanks for the pictures. I don't see the side judge in the picture though, but it is a Monday and a short week and I am only on coffee #1.

Thanks for the pictures. I don't see the side judge in the picture though, but it is a Monday and a short week and I am only on coffee #1.

Sorry, didn't mean to imply that the side judge was in any of the photos. On TV, he is shown marking the spot on the 20.

Had the Axe game on DVR and was glad to see PJ get fired up about the bad spot in the first half. Even though it didn't get the full desired result he wanted, I believe it had a definite positive impact on the players mentally and made the 4th down conversion easier. Little things like this from PJ can have a big impact on the success of the program going forward and I commend him for having his players' backs in that moment.

Had the Axe game on DVR and was glad to see PJ get fired up about the bad spot in the first half. Even though it didn't get the full desired result he wanted, I believe it had a definite positive impact on the players mentally and made the 4th down conversion easier. Little things like this from PJ can have a big impact on the success of the program going forward and I commend him for having his players' backs in that moment.

I watched the game again yesterday and still can't believe they messed up that spot so badly even after the review.

I watched the game again yesterday and still can't believe they messed up that spot so badly even after the review.
Believe it, because it wasn't a "mistake/screw up."

It was an "on purpose/screw them," directed by the B1G executive suites, designed to protect the favored....

Any conspiracy believers out there??

Any other evidence over the years? Targeting flag picked up vs Ohio State belong in this catagory??

Others?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Believe it, because it wasn't a "mistake/screw up."

It was an "on purpose/screw them," directed by the B1G executive suites, designed to protect the favored....

Any conspiracy believers out there??

Any other evidence over the years? Targeting flag picked up vs Ohio State belong in this catagory??

Others?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

The SEC doesn't even try to hide it.

gDPOmqq.gif

Top Bottom