Shooter: Actual attendance for Gophers/Purdue game was 14,950

I attended last year's Maryland game. It sucked. Over priced and a waste of my time and money.
Your method is resulting in under 15K attending. Time to boot your approach out the door with your slimey @$$. [emoji41]

Thanks for proving me right.

Personally, I think the Gophers marketing team needs to go full St Paul Saints if they want people in the seats. Make it attractive to families to come to a game. There is a slew of Pop Warner type teams that could be recognized and brought in. Get butts in the seats and let the kids have some fun. Let those kids see what fun it is to watch our marching band perform before, during and after the game. Acknowledge the kids and their home towns. Make the U the heartbeat for all these kids to want to participate in when they are older.
This isn't rocket science. It's just a simple approach to showing communities that UMN cares about Minnesota. Parents love it when their kids are called out at games. They'll talk and start coming to games.
The Twins do a great job with bringing in the metro baseball teams from t-ball to U14. The potential for football is untapped.
This is a great idea, youth group tickets especially pewee football teams in the stands would be great.

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk

Don’t think so.
College football has changed since the dome days.
I don’t think weather is hurting as much as just general apathy about going to games. There is a reason almost every stadium has empty seats for all but the biggest games.

Believe it or not, even Alabama hasn't had a full stadium every game. The landscape has changed. Our Athletic Department is going to have to figure out how to get ahead of this.

Believe it or not, even Alabama hasn't had a full stadium every game. The landscape has changed. Our Athletic Department is going to have to figure out how to get ahead of this.

Yup. The Gophers problems are obviously much bigger, but I'm seeing lots of empty seats in most games I turn on including Iowa last week, Oklahoma last night, Wash St last night, etc. And you're right -- gotta get ahead of it with creative solutions rather than using stale methods or hoping it'll get better on its own.

Yup. The Gophers problems are obviously much bigger, but I'm seeing lots of empty seats in most games I turn on including Iowa last week, Oklahoma last night, Wash St last night, etc. And you're right -- gotta get ahead of it with creative solutions rather than using stale methods or hoping it'll get better on its own.

First thing they could do is roll back the donation program entirely. Attendance is always going to be a struggle around here unless the team is winning big because there is so much competition in the market. Will take multiple years of sustained high level success to really make a dent in the attendance issue.

Even less since the dome doesn’t exist.

The weather is just another excuse. Minnesotans are bad fans.

When the team is as bad as it has been, bad fans + bad team = very small crowds.

In good weather or in bad. Shiny new stadium, old dump of stadium.

It’s too bad because the Purdue game was the best game all year.

The kids have deserved better fan support since the 70s (at least).

Nobody likes a winner like a Minnesotan. If Fleck can turn it around, or the coach that finally does for that matter, there will have been 110,000 claiming to have been at these games, but still not going/leaving early for a host of states reasons, but first and foremost because Minnesotans are bad fans.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Would the team be better off with 50,000 fans willing to scream and holler and support the team through thick and thin? Probably, but attendance and ticket revenue provide accountability and from recent history, an INKLING of this team looking like a winner produced sellouts and that's a pretty healthy fan base. It's interesting you pick a game against Northwestern to make this point. I've been to Evanston twice in the last 6 years and both times the only section near full was the gopher section. That's in a period where they have been playing better than us and finishing higher in the big ten standings almost every single year.

I like PJ, but Fitzgerald is a better coach and it's not even close. That being said, Fitzgerald could win the BIG ten this year and that won't prompt the kind of support we've given our team with ZERO results in 30 years. From a long term standpoint I see the gopher program as putting the pieces in place to be successful. From a short term standpoint Purdue and Northwestern are a tier above us, Brohm will leave and put Purdue back in the dumpster and Fitzgerald's success won't drive recruits to Evanston, Northwestern won't invest the way we did in facilities, which also won't help get recruits and eventually he will get frustrated and leave too. It might not be PJ that leads us back to the promised land, I think it's too early to tell, but there is enough investment here to feel good about our long term chances.

I do think they need to restructure pricing to get things back on track. Basically you have a marketing program begging people to buy single game tickets to the better games and pass on the rest.

Ticket Prices

First thing they could do is roll back the donation program entirely. Attendance is always going to be a struggle around here unless the team is winning big because there is so much competition in the market. Will take multiple years of sustained high level success to really make a dent in the attendance issue.

I let them have it in my annual "fan survey" regarding their pricing. They are in a competitive market, they do little, if any marketing, and their prices are WAY out of whack! I referred them to the Northwestern Ticket web site (not Stub Hub or any other 3rd party) and their tickets for their final home game against Illinois ranged from $3.00 to $28.00 per ticket. YES, $3.00 on the low end and this is in Chicago for the BIG WEST champions. We had friends that wanted to come to the Iowa game this year but the tickets were upwards of $75 to $85 dollars and they eventually said "forget it". Supply and demand is what it's all about and right now you can't GIVE away tickets to Gopher Football.

I was sent a survey for attending a single game.

In the comments I said the players looked cold and they need to switch sidelines on cold days.

I have a few ideas to boost attendance but unfortunately some are not popular and it is harder to get butts back in the seat once they are gone. I wish the U and surrounding areas would embrace game days and make them special. There is nothing going on outside the tailgating lots that even make it feel like a game day. A quick and easy thing would be to set up a beer garden with bands to create a more fun party atmosphere. They could take a few tips from the Vikings and create a plaza area outside the stadium similar to their longhouse.

The biggest problem that the U has in my opinion is the almost impossible challenge of getting back former season ticket holders. Many fans dropped tickets due to Norwood's grand scholarship donation idea and many said they would buy tickets individually. There was four people in my group that dropped their tickets. They each went to 2-3 games the first year, a game the second year without tickets, and I haven't seen them back at the bank since.

Wins and losses are nice, but I think it is more than going 10-2 or 9-3. There are certain games that the program is judged on. We have to beat Wisconsin more than once every 15 years and go 50-50 vs. Iowa and Nebraska. Those are the schools that I feel the general public compares the program to.

I have a few ideas to boost attendance but unfortunately some are not popular and it is harder to get butts back in the seat once they are gone. I wish the U and surrounding areas would embrace game days and make them special. There is nothing going on outside the tailgating lots that even make it feel like a game day. A quick and easy thing would be to set up a beer garden with bands to create a more fun party atmosphere. They could take a few tips from the Vikings and create a plaza area outside the stadium similar to their longhouse.

The biggest problem that the U has in my opinion is the almost impossible challenge of getting back former season ticket holders. Many fans dropped tickets due to Norwood's grand scholarship donation idea and many said they would buy tickets individually. There was four people in my group that dropped their tickets. They each went to 2-3 games the first year, a game the second year without tickets, and I haven't seen them back at the bank since.

Wins and losses are nice, but I think it is more than going 10-2 or 9-3. There are certain games that the program is judged on. We have to beat Wisconsin more than once every 15 years and go 50-50 vs. Iowa and Nebraska. Those are the schools that I feel the general public compares the program to.

If Gophs start winning 9-10 regular season games, they will be 6-3 or 7-2 in conference play, so they will have to be winning those games more frequently. Just win, fans will come.

I went to the Nebby game this year and for all people said about the tailgating and Gameday atmosphere, I was pretty underwhelmed. There was very limited tailgating right by the stadium...the biggest area was over by the baseball field, a good 15+ minute walk to the stadium. The two small lots that did have tailgating closer to the stadium were maybe half full.

Personally, I think the Gophers marketing team needs to go full St Paul Saints if they want people in the seats. Make it attractive to families to come to a game. There is a slew of Pop Warner type teams that could be recognized and brought in. Get butts in the seats and let the kids have some fun. Let those kids see what fun it is to watch our marching band perform before, during and after the game. Acknowledge the kids and their home towns. Make the U the heartbeat for all these kids to want to participate in when they are older.
This isn't rocket science. It's just a simple approach to showing communities that UMN cares about Minnesota. Parents love it when their kids are called out at games. They'll talk and start coming to games.
The Twins do a great job with bringing in the metro baseball teams from t-ball to U14. The potential for football is untapped.

Won't happen though with the smug U of M. The leadership of the University and absolute no care or regard for their sports teams is why people don't attend. "We suck, we've always sucked, let's fire the coach and get another one instead of getting to the root of the problem."

That and lower prices. Students should get in 100% free also.

Last edited:

50 years of garbage teams will do this to a fan base. IA was the first school out of the MI OSU desert..everyone else except IU and MN have followed the blue print and left the desert. 50 years later we still finish last or next to last. There is a common denominator to all of this...........

It doesn't help when the face of the program follows every lost with whining and excuse making that makes it sound like he doesn't think the team can win. The coach saying that he isn't going to judge the season by wins and losses doesn't exactly make potential customers think "sounds like a product I want to go see."

Somebody mentioned giving a deal to youth teams. The Gophers used to have a deal where High School teams got a group rate for attending as a team and wearing their jerseys. This was back in the Metrodome era. (when there were plenty of available seats......) Don't know what happened to the promotion.

I’m manic with fleck. If he gets the right kids he can do this but he has about a 15 percent chance of success.

LakerFan didn't know about Northwestern's new facilities, but the rest of his post was accurate. Considering our 50-year history we had really good attendance for 8-win teams during the Kill years and travel well to away games that are driving distance. Considering the recent price gouging, it seems like a miracle that anybody still goes. We have a surprisingly interested fan base for a team with our history. Many just need a reason to go to games, but the brain trust at the U doesn't want to give them one.

LakerFan didn't know about Northwestern's new facilities, but the rest of his post was accurate. Considering our 50-year history we had really good attendance for 8-win teams during the Kill years and travel well to away games that are driving distance. Considering the recent price gouging, it seems like a miracle that anybody still goes. We have a surprisingly interested fan base for a team with our history. Many just need a reason to go to games, but the brain trust at the U doesn't want to give them one.

I agree. I think even consistent 7-9 win teams, with the occasional glimmer of hope for a top 25 ranking or Big Ten West title, we can draw pretty well. When you don't have much chance at a bowl game people won't bother, especially at the prices they are asking for season tickets.

Does anyone know the TV ratings for gopher games in this market vs. other B1G schools in their market? Seems to me that's a more important number to measure fan interest/apathy than attendance.

And Northwestern is a comparatively small private school - the % of U of M alumni (and casual fans) in the Twin Cities market >>> NW in Chicago.

Somebody mentioned giving a deal to youth teams. The Gophers used to have a deal where High School teams got a group rate for attending as a team and wearing their jerseys. This was back in the Metrodome era. (when there were plenty of available seats......) Don't know what happened to the promotion.

That program goes all the way back to Memorial Stadium, at least to the early '70s, if not earlier.

I was wondering the same thing.

JTG

There was a small bump up from Fleck's first year over previous year, but it was like 50-2000 season tickets worth (tiny).

I think part of the Fleck bump was obviously offset by:

1. The anti-Coyle / Pro-Tracy Claeys cancellations. This was probably a significant number measured by the amount of dislike for Coyle.

2. The "Norwood Teague killed us with pricing" dip. The donation levels and season ticket prices are too high. Simple marketing principles of supply and demand show that clearly.

Now that it's broken, which it is, the University needs to somehow make tickets feel like they are in demand again. You do this either by limiting quantity or by lowering prices. They could reduce stadium capacity to 30-35k I guess so people who wanted to see Nebraska or Iowa would have to buy season tickets selling out the remaining games, but I'd sooner go with trying to get 50,000 fans for every game even if it meant giving away upper deck tickets for $5 a piece with a free hot dog.

Does anyone know the TV ratings for gopher games in this market vs. other B1G schools in their market? Seems to me that's a more important number to measure fan interest/apathy than attendance.

And Northwestern is a comparatively small private school - the % of U of M alumni (and casual fans) in the Twin Cities market >>> NW in Chicago.

Here are some ratings I found.
Opponent matters and TV channel.

1.5 2.405M MINN-Ohio St. BIG 10/13, Noon FS1
n.a. 335K Indiana-MINN B1G 10/26, 8:00p FS1
0.30 (534K) Purdue-MINN B1G 11/10, 3:30p ESPN2
0.23 395K FRES ST-MINN MWC, B1G 9/8, 7:30p FS1

Here are some other Purdue games for reference:

1.5 (2.378M) Purdue-MSU B1G 10/27, Noon ESPN
0.6 1.092M Iowa-Purdue B1G 11/3, 3:30p ESPN2
0.33 501K Purdue-Illinois B1G 10/13, 3:30p FS1

Illinois games for reference:

0.47 783K Illinois-WISC B1G 10/20, Noon FS1
0.7 1.170M PSU-Illinois B1G 9/21, 9:00p FS1

Maryland:
0.43 (701K) MD-Iowa B1G 10/20, Noon ESPN2
0.50 762K MSU-MD B1G 11/3, Noon ESPN2

Last edited:

Maryland:

Are those ratings in just the Twin Cities (and the Purdue/Illinois markets) or do they include all viewers?

Maryland:

Thanks. Where are you getting this? And does it have info for the other B1G teams?

Top Bottom