Shooter: Actual attendance for Gophers/Purdue game was 14,950

There was a small bump up from Fleck's first year over previous year, but it was like 50-2000 season tickets worth (tiny).

I think part of the Fleck bump was obviously offset by:

1. The anti-Coyle / Pro-Tracy Claeys cancellations. This was probably a significant number measured by the amount of dislike for Coyle.

2. The "Norwood Teague killed us with pricing" dip. The donation levels and season ticket prices are too high. Simple marketing principles of supply and demand show that clearly.

Now that it's broken, which it is, the University needs to somehow make tickets feel like they are in demand again. You do this either by limiting quantity or by lowering prices. They could reduce stadium capacity to 30-35k I guess so people who wanted to see Nebraska or Iowa would have to buy season tickets selling out the remaining games, but I'd sooner go with trying to get 50,000 fans for every game even if it meant giving away upper deck tickets for $5 a piece with a free hot dog.

The two biggest factors are pricing and losing so many games. No one cares who the coach is, they care about wins. There is no appreciable Fleck bump up or down. Has any person ever bought tickets to a game just because of the coach (I'm not just talking Gopher football)?

Teague is mostly to blame for the pricing, but Coyle could step in and drop prices. Losing the games, that's on Coyle/Fleck.

If you're not a fan get outta here!
LOL, I'm not a fan of the status quo. I am a fan of the Gophers and the Gophers can do a much better job in promotion and marketing.
I am not a fan of over-priced product. It's why I don't buy Chevy or Ford. [emoji41]

LOL, I'm not a fan of the status quo. I am a fan of the Gophers and the Gophers can do a much better job in promotion and marketing.
I am not a fan of over-priced product. It's why I don't buy Chevy or Ford. [emoji41]

Yup, those Daewoo's are priced right in the sweet spot $ :p

Yup, those Daewoo's are priced right in the sweet spot $ :p
Microlino for your information...[emoji41]
642b460318baf5579539cbf46f206cf4.jpg

Well we know where you stand. Thanks for leaving.

You can fill up the stadium if you win, but it's all about creating interest in the team. When Lou Holtz came here, they were playing off campus in the Metro Dome. They had just finished 1-10 with one of the worst, if not THE worst team ever. The team sold out the place - 62,000 fans.

He did it by creating hope and convinced fans that things were going to get better. That is a driving force of putting fans in the seats in any sport - hope. You don't have to win the championship but you have to look like you could if you get a few breaks or everything falls in place. That's one reason why recruits are so important - they are like the draft picks that might be able to put the team in the hunt in a few years. You have to be able to create a buzz around the team where people are taking notice. Right now I would say there isn't too much of that right now but I can already see a little bit going into next season. I would expect the attendance numbers to improve next season but it will take some success to drive it from there. This would be a great time to get new ticket holders into the fold though - they should really hit it hard to get more people in the seats because next year you finally have something to work with.

How would the fat man from fulda even know. I doubt he shows up at any Gopher events.

You can fill up the stadium if you win, but it's all about creating interest in the team. When Lou Holtz came here, they were playing off campus in the Metro Dome. They had just finished 1-10 with one of the worst, if not THE worst team ever. The team sold out the place - 62,000 fans.

He did it by creating hope and convinced fans that things were going to get better. That is a driving force of putting fans in the seats in any sport - hope. You don't have to win the championship but you have to look like you could if you get a few breaks or everything falls in place. That's one reason why recruits are so important - they are like the draft picks that might be able to put the team in the hunt in a few years. You have to be able to create a buzz around the team where people are taking notice. Right now I would say there isn't too much of that right now but I can already see a little bit going into next season. I would expect the attendance numbers to improve next season but it will take some success to drive it from there. This would be a great time to get new ticket holders into the fold though - they should really hit it hard to get more people in the seats because next year you finally have something to work with.

Truth.

However, I don't think there have been the on-field results this year needed to increase interest among casual fans. Yeah, we've noticed an improvement this year, but we're already sold on the product. The average joe is going to equate this season with 50 years of futility, because blowout losses will do that.

You're right, the U has to get off its backside and do something to generate some momentum with marketing, and I don't mean selling frozen pizzas (fer chrissakes). They gotta get people in the seats, because the product is on the upswing, and the growth will be much quicker if people are already starting to get engaged. If they sit back and wait for on-field results to generate growth, it's going to take 3-4 very solid seasons to get an upswing.

JTG

There was a small bump up from Fleck's first year over previous year, but it was like 50-2000 season tickets worth (tiny).

I think part of the Fleck bump was obviously offset by:

1. The anti-Coyle / Pro-Tracy Claeys cancellations. This was probably a significant number measured by the amount of dislike for Coyle. :confused:

2. The "Norwood Teague killed us with pricing" dip. The donation levels and season ticket prices are too high. Simple marketing principles of supply and demand show that clearly.

Now that it's broken, which it is, the University needs to somehow make tickets feel like they are in demand again. You do this either by limiting quantity or by lowering prices. They could reduce stadium capacity to 30-35k I guess so people who wanted to see Nebraska or Iowa would have to buy season tickets selling out the remaining games, but I'd sooner go with trying to get 50,000 fans for every game even if it meant giving away upper deck tickets for $5 a piece with a free hot dog.

Know that you're just trolling but Number 1 is almost ludicrous even as a troll post.

There were plenty of people out there who said that they were done with the Gophers after the allegations in 2016. Proclaiming it here, on other websites, newspapers etc. Couldn't really blame them either. Those people you apparently didn't notice.

Conversely got any examples of multiple people on here who said that they wouldn't renew their Season Tickets because of the firing of Claeys? Didn't think so, because that would be a very, very small number indeed.

Oddly enough for you it was number 1. At least you didn't slip the WSU game in there too. :blah::blah::blah::horse:

There could be a small bump if the people who keep telling everybody to be patient because there are sure to be good times ahead actually went out and bought season tickets.

Emphasis on "small".

Agree with this.

While I believe Kill/Claeys are really overrated in terms of what they did. I think they are underrated in terms of the perception they created.

While I didn’t think we would win big games with them as coaches, 45k+ did and showed up even in the 5-7 year in between the two good ones. Winning is less important than the perception that you have a chance to win.

Agree with this.

While I believe Kill/Claeys are really overrated in terms of what they did. I think they are underrated in terms of the perception they created.

While I didn’t think we would win big games with them as coaches, 45k+ did and showed up even in the 5-7 year in between the two good ones. Winning is less important than the perception that you have a chance to win.

I'll add to this. Kill was constantly going out and recruiting students to come to games. IIRC He is the reason the team stands in front of the student section and sings "Hail Minnesota". Kill's staff also understood the reserved demeanor that is prevalent amongst our fanbase.

Know that you're just trolling but Number 1 is almost ludicrous even as a troll post.

There were plenty of people out there who said that they were done with the Gophers after the allegations in 2016. Proclaiming it here, on other websites, newspapers etc. Couldn't really blame them either. Those people you apparently didn't notice.

Conversely got any examples of multiple people on here who said that they wouldn't renew their Season Tickets because of the firing of Claeys? Didn't think so, because that would be a very, very small number indeed.

Oddly enough for you it was number 1. At least you didn't slip the WSU game in there too. :blah::blah::blah::horse:

There could be a small bump if the people who keep telling everybody to be patient because there are sure to be good times ahead actually went out and bought season tickets.

Emphasis on "small".

I did not renew my tickets because they fired Claeys

Truth.

However, I don't think there have been the on-field results this year needed to increase interest among casual fans. Yeah, we've noticed an improvement this year, but we're already sold on the product. The average joe is going to equate this season with 50 years of futility, because blowout losses will do that.

You're right, the U has to get off its backside and do something to generate some momentum with marketing, and I don't mean selling frozen pizzas (fer chrissakes). They gotta get people in the seats, because the product is on the upswing, and the growth will be much quicker if people are already starting to get engaged. If they sit back and wait for on-field results to generate growth, it's going to take 3-4 very solid seasons to get an upswing.

JTG

IMHO, a win over Wisconsin this weekend plus a slight rollback of the season ticket prices will go a long way towards winning some people back. We need to start winning rivalry games.

IMHO, a win over Wisconsin this weekend plus a slight rollback of the season ticket prices will go a long way towards winning some people back. We need to start winning rivalry games.

and a nice showing in a bowl game...

I'll add to this. Kill was constantly going out and recruiting students to come to games. IIRC He is the reason the team stands in front of the student section and sings "Hail Minnesota". Kill's staff also understood the reserved demeanor that is prevalent amongst our fanbase.

What you just said is flat out wrong. Singing hail Minnesota in front of the student section pre-dates Kill

What you just said is flat out wrong. Singing hail Minnesota in front of the student section pre-dates Kill

Brewster brought it in? There was one awful loss when the players went in and only Brewster stayed out to sing with the students. That may have been the game Weber gave the finger to the student section. Anyone remember better than me?

Top Bottom