Souhan: P.J. Fleck and his Gophers look lost; team has not improved in its second yr

Why feel worse after this game? They played a Northwestern team that won the division and will likely go 8-1 in the Big Ten this year, one that won 10 games last year. They were favored to win in Vegas at kickoff. They played basically even-up to ahead with the Cats for 3 quarters in spite of making virtually all of the crucial mistakes.

That itself is proof that what we all want for the Gophers is achievable, realistic, and likely closer than we think if the turnovers and explosive plays start swinging the other way next season.

The B1G West is weak this year. They will go 8*-1. Not nearly as impressive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Souhan is wrong, the overall team is better than last year but that’s a pretty low bar. They were abysmal last year.

The offense is showing signs of competence but as we saw yesterday has a long, long ways to go to be dominant. The defense this season has been historically atrocious, but signs were evident as early as Maryland LAST YEAR in a truly wtf scheme, and wasn’t corrected until too late this season. That’s on PJ for making a bad hire.

Next year will be really interesting. The offense should be hitting stride but the defense will be in a rebuilding mode after losing key guys and perhaps a new staff.

Souhan's article lacks much research, but it's his opinion which I value about the same as most Gopherholers. (Not a rip on Gopherholers. Gopherholers probably know far more about the Gophers than Souhan).

The NW loss was disappointing in that it would have been a nice win.
The biggest issue is with the bad losses this year which was Illinois and at Maryland and at Nebraska (which doesn't look as bad now as it did then, but still disappointing).

PJ has yet to get the marquee win to offset the unexpected losses.

So far under the PJ Fleck era his best wins are Purdue and Fresno St.

Souhan is wrong, the overall team is better than last year but that’s a pretty low bar. They were abysmal last year.

The offense is showing signs of competence but as we saw yesterday has a long, long ways to go to be dominant. The defense this season has been historically atrocious, but signs were evident as early as Maryland LAST YEAR in a truly wtf scheme, and wasn’t corrected until too late this season. That’s on PJ for making a bad hire.

Next year will be really interesting. The offense should be hitting stride but the defense will be in a rebuilding mode after losing key guys and perhaps a new staff.

How will the defense be rebuilding next year? We basically lose two impact players, Cashman and Huff.

Fleck and Coyle decided to rebuild a program that didn't need rebuilding. I guess a couple of seasons of mediocrity are all but inevitable. I wouldn't fire Fleck in the first four seasons for anything less than total incompetence. I've come to believe that he will win here; it just won't be as much fun as it should be.
Pretty much my feelings.

Sent from my RS988 using Tapatalk

This article was clearly written to get people going and judging by this thread it is working

If he thinks he is trolling, and looking to get people worked up, I think he is failing... I find his articles on Gopher Football ridiculously repetitive, to the point where you just shake your head and chuckle at what a lazy *ss "journalist" he is.

In the end, it all comes down to belief. Either you believe Fleck is the right guy for the program, or you don't.

And belief is a subjective matter. You either believe in something or you don't. Getting mad at Souhan because he doesn't believe in Fleck is pointless. It's like getting mad at your neighbor because he doesn't like anchovies on pizza. You can disagree with him, but he has the right to his point of view, and you have the right to your point of view.

Why do Minnesota sports writers/fans think a 2-4 coaching carousel is the answer? It never is. If after year 4, we’re still where we are today...yes, then we should discuss it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If he thinks he is trolling, and looking to get people worked up, I think he is failing... I find his articles on Gopher Football ridiculously repetitive, to the point where you just shake your head and chuckle at what a lazy *ss "journalist" he is.

The responses in this thread clearly show he is not failing if that was his goal. Lazy appears to be the popular buzzword used repeatedly for any reporter or article that criticizes Fleck. When Fleck calls so much attention to himself, he opens himself up for tons of criticism when he struggles.

The responses in this thread clearly show he is not failing if that was his goal. Lazy appears to be the popular buzzword used repeatedly for any reporter or article that criticizes Fleck. When Fleck calls so much attention to himself, he opens himself up for tons of criticism when he struggles.

I think the reason we call them lazy is because you can essentially change the name of the head coach, and it's the same articles we've read for 20-40 years.

Now if Souhan had gone into more detail, he wouldn't be a lazy *ss.

Like if he had gone on to say "Fleck has been disappointing in that his offensive line played like a sieve and his top recruit, who was highly praised, seem to have hands of ice yesterday while Northwestern basked in the sunlight on the far side of the stadium. The quandary of what sideline to stand on which has been plaguing the University since TCF stadium was built seemingly contributed to the Gophers cold performance. In the future, Fleck who has lost a couple key instate recruits might want to find more Northern Climate kids who can function in below freezing weather".

He would have actually been dealing with some specifics that related to what happened on the field, rather than his couple minute assignment of taking a press conference.

Fleck has secured same record as year 1 with a younger team. Offense was much better and I think special teams were better as well. Defense and turnovers were the difference.

If Purdue loses next week they will miss a bowl and lose their coach to Louisville. Talk about getting worse in year two. Oh well I guess everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

While Patrick sometimes can still get me sputtering, Souhan just gets a shrug out of me. He works way too hard at being clever and usually fails miserably.

How will the defense be rebuilding next year? We basically lose two impact players, Cashman and Huff.

Pretty big losses, no? Yeah, we know how you feel about Cashman. Counting on Winfield to stay healthy is an iffy proposition at best. OJ Smith? As we will surely be reminded there will be many newer guys, freshman and underclassmen all over the field, or new to the program JUCOS.

Fleck has secured same record as year 1 with a younger team. Offense was much better and I think special teams were better as well. Defense and turnovers were the difference.

If Purdue loses next week they will miss a bowl and lose their coach to Louisville. Talk about getting worse in year two. Oh well I guess everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

I don’t understand how someone looks at Purdue’s revival from doormat to competitive team, knocking off ranked teams, a blue blood, and think they’re somehow regressing under Brohm. Whatever floats your boat.

Pretty big losses, no? Yeah, we know how you feel about Cashman. Counting on Winfield to stay healthy is an iffy proposition at best. OJ Smith? As we will surely be reminded there will be many newer guys, freshman and underclassmen all over the field, or new to the program JUCOS.

Winfield and Smith haven’t played at all the second half of the season. They aren’t losses if you never had them. Blake struggled some games, sorry that hurt your feelings.

Getting 9 players back, plus possibly Winfield and Smith, the freshmen who redshirted, and the new incoming class that includes a few Jucos should set us up to be much better next year. No excuse to not significantly improve upon this year.

The B1G West is weak this year. They will go 8*-1. Not nearly as impressive.

While I don’t think there is greatness in the Big Ten West this year, I think the division as a whole is trending up with maybe the exception of Wisconsin this year.

Winfield and Smith haven’t played at all the second half of the season. They aren’t losses if you never had them. Blake struggled some games, sorry that hurt your feelings.

Getting 9 players back, plus possibly Winfield and Smith, the freshmen who redshirted, and the new incoming class that includes a few Jucos should set us up to be much better next year. No excuse to not significantly improve upon this year.

Sadly this coach is full of them, isn’t he? Time to shelve the excuses, going forward.

Cashman is the only big loss. Huff has been a liability more often then not. Smith and Winfield haven’t played the majority of this season and their backups are currently gaining experience.

I don’t understand how someone looks at Purdue’s revival from doormat to competitive team, knocking off ranked teams, a blue blood, and think they’re somehow regressing under Brohm. Whatever floats your boat.

So Purdue currently has 5* wins?

the only thing PJF's corner at this point in time is a sub mediocre Big Ten West. The guy has almost no game day schemes....it's all on the players like it was with Brewster. I like to compare PJ with Kris with a K Lindahl. Signs everywhere, radio spots everywhere but if people don't fall for the ads it'll be over.

Cashman is the only big loss. Huff has been a liability more often then not. Smith and Winfield haven’t played the majority of this season and their backups are currently gaining experience.

And who’s going to replace him? Winfield will be back (hopefully, maybe), Howden is a project, and ?? Young guys at safety. Defensive line, young guys.

Yes, always hopeful they turn the corner but I have zero doubt we will hear the youth and inexperience card.

Why don’t you list their wins next to us. While you’re at it list Purdue’s Big Ten win list the last five years and compare/contrast Hazell/Brohm/PJ.

I’ve heard time and again on here that total number of wins is all that matters. I’m glad we’re on the same page.

Sadly this coach is full of them, isn’t he? Time to shelve the excuses, going forward.

He also had laid out some of the highest expectations ever for the future. 8 wins next year should be the goal.

And who’s going to replace him? Winfield will be back (hopefully, maybe), Howden is a project, and ?? Young guys at safety. Defensive line, young guys.

Yes, always hopeful they turn the corner but I have zero doubt we will hear the youth and inexperience card.

Hopefully Coughlin, Barber and Martin are the 3 starting LBs next year. That would make 3 seniors.

As usual, Souhan -- the Tim Brewster of Strib sports coumnists -- takes the path of least resistance.

It would have been possible to write a nuanced piece regarding the struggle to resurrect this program, the obvious promise of a freshman-laden offense, the awakening of a previously somnambulant defense, the hope and eventual frustration encapsulated in a pitched battle fought in the Minnesota elements.

You know, like an actual writer.

Instead, Souhan chose to take cheap shots at an easy target. Again. And again. And again.

I was a journalist for nearly 20 years. In the nearly 20 years since I left the field, I have purchased less than 20 newspapers. Souhan is a perfect example of why.

There's nothing there.

JTG

This is great, and kudos for your use of the word somnambulant.

People are overlooking one small detail.....

The U decided to burn down the football program for reasons of political correctness. They found just
the coach who was willing to light the match. Any coach that would have simply built on what was already
there had no chance of being hired.

Top Bottom