Souhan: P.J. Fleck and his Gophers look lost; team has not improved in its second yr

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Souhan:

P.J. Fleck bolted up the steps to the podium and popped the top on a can of Coke, one of the University of Minnesota's sponsors.

His Gophers football team had just lost the biggest game of the season, at home, but when you are the kind of guy who trademarked your own motivational phrase, it is never not the right time to practice product placement.

Coca-Cola likely will survive its affiliation with the University of Minnesota football program. "Row The Boat'' may not.

The Gophers concluded their home schedule for the 2018 season on Saturday, losing 24-14 to Northwestern at TCF Bank Stadium, where a small crowd arrived late and departed early.

The Gophers next head to Wisconsin for their season finale, needing a victory to ensure a .500 record and bowl eligibility. With his second season at Minnesota almost complete, Fleck is 10-13 overall and 4-13 in the Big Ten.

The record that may be most significant is his 2-6 mark in the Big Ten this season. His team has not improved in its second year, even while playing in a mediocre league.

Fleck took over a program that had won nine games in 2016 and had appeared in five straight bowls, the final two of which it won.

If Fleck loses to Wisconsin, he will continue to distract with shiny slogans, but any rational evaluation of him should conclude that the first two years of the Fleck experiment have been an embarrassment.

http://www.startribune.com/p-j-fleck-and-his-gophers-look-lost/500761741/

Go Gophers!!

Souhan's articles hasn't changed at all.

Would hardly call the B14 "mediocre." Did anyone notice the opponents lined up against the top SEC teams today? A joke. As to the B14, MD and Indiana improved, Illinois inconsistent but dangerous, Purdue and Penn State tough, Michigan best in years; ditto Northwestern, Ohio State 10-1 despite other teams catching up, Michigan State tough, Nebraska very improved in second half of season and will be dangerous next year, Iowa strong, etc. You can't use won/lost records as the only measure because the B14 is a circular firing squad, as usual. Gophers did not play badly today, but were killed by turnovers; defense played well second game in a row with new DC. Wisconsin will be a big test for the D.

He's right.

It is possible to be honest while still supporting the team.

If things don't trend up by midway through conference next year, it's time to make a coaching change.

What’s honest about his article ?- soupcan taking a immediate view in a rebuilding situation. Fleck is taking a long view rebuilding the program (and has a successful history doing it) his derogatory “shiny sayings” is all apart of flecks marketing of the program (for those that don’t like them, take a marketing class) - if he can’t see this team improving (especially on offense) with experience. The pieces are being put together. We will be much deeper next year and the year after that. I remember souhan taking shots at Kill the second year, its all apart of his schadenfreude to get attention.

Last edited:

He is fit. Very fit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anyone who can’t see improvement from last year to this year is blind. Souhan doesn’t even attempt to look any deeper than their record. He is such a lazy joke of a sports writer. Offensively, the improvement from last year and the added talent level is glaring. Next year this offense will be very good.

Ibrahim will be our third string back behind Brooks and Smith. Tyler Johnson will have another huge year as a senior. Bateman, Autman-Bell, and Douglas will all be sophomores and very good. Dunlap and Faalele will make the o-line the best it’s been in a while even while losing Green and Weyler. Morgan and Annexstad will both be sophomores and have good experience, both will be better next year. And we got rid of a bad D coordinator. Calling the Big Ten mediocre is also absurd.

Our future is very bright, I’m excited. Souhan is a lazy moron taking cheap shots at a coach he doesn’t like, plain and simple.

He's right.

It is possible to be honest while still supporting the team.

If things don't trend up by midway through conference next year, it's time to make a coaching change.

He’s not right. The team has absolutely improved from a year ago and they do not look lost the past two games.

You’re second point is wrong as well. A coach needs that fourth year for us to truly see where he’s taking the program. Not two and a half like you suggest. Poor take on your part as usual.

"Lost" is not what I'd say about this team.

I'd accuse them of being "inconsistent" across the three phases of football.

Not a good situation if the norm but not really surprising all things considered.

It was also Northwestern. Certainly "consistent" is a label they proudly wear.

I can't with these Twin Cities sportswriters, they have to be the worst in the entire country. It's a sad commentary on the Minneapolis/Twin Cities area. Too bad.

The story lacked potshots at physical condition, chronic disease, spouses and haircuts. This Dbag is slipping....

Fleck and Coyle decided to rebuild a program that didn't need rebuilding. I guess a couple of seasons of mediocrity are all but inevitable. I wouldn't fire Fleck in the first four seasons for anything less than total incompetence. I've come to believe that he will win here; it just won't be as much fun as it should be.

He’s not right. The team has absolutely improved from a year ago and they do not look lost the past two games.

You’re second point is wrong as well. A coach needs that fourth year for us to truly see where he’s taking the program. Not two and a half like you suggest. Poor take on your part as usual.

You'd be willing to put up with 4 years of 2-3 wins in the conference before pulling the plug? !

Fleck and Coyle decided to rebuild a program that didn't need rebuilding. I guess a couple of seasons of mediocrity are all but inevitable. I wouldn't fire Fleck in the first four seasons for anything less than total incompetence. I've come to believe that he will win here; it just won't be as much fun as it should be.
People forget we were 5-7 two years before Fleck got here.

"Lost" is not what I'd say about this team.

I'd accuse them of being "inconsistent" across the three phases of football.

Not a good situation if the norm but not really surprising all things considered.

It was also Northwestern. Certainly "consistent" is a label they proudly wear.
They are just starting to play team defense rallying to the ball more. The offense is starting to develop an identity with a freshman QB, these are not things that happen without quality coaching and recruiting. Instead of calling for coaches head, i think we need to let the seasons play out and let the players develop. If we want any chance, changing horses not a good idea now. The record may not reflect it but they are starting to play better now. I admit I'm not a fan of isms, sayings and boat culture crapola, but how I feel about that doesn't really matter. That stuff is personal to the coach and he needs it. I see the football team is more talented and learning how to win right now If Souhan would have gone to the games instead of pot shot articling the last game, watching one maybe that article would carry more weight. Northwestern was division champs, they played mistake free football. Gophers were unable to capitalize on chances. There, the Cats D line controlled line of scrimmage and linebackers made some consequential plays that won them the game. Yesterday's game did not p me off like Illinois. Time to turn t page and beat the Badgers.

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk

As usual, Souhan -- the Tim Brewster of Strib sports coumnists -- takes the path of least resistance.

It would have been possible to write a nuanced piece regarding the struggle to resurrect this program, the obvious promise of a freshman-laden offense, the awakening of a previously somnambulant defense, the hope and eventual frustration encapsulated in a pitched battle fought in the Minnesota elements.

You know, like an actual writer.

Instead, Souhan chose to take cheap shots at an easy target. Again. And again. And again.

I was a journalist for nearly 20 years. In the nearly 20 years since I left the field, I have purchased less than 20 newspapers. Souhan is a perfect example of why.

There's nothing there.

JTG

Wow, this is some deep, well thought out analysis. NOT. How does Souhan keep collecting a paycheck?

You'd be willing to put up with 4 years of 2-3 wins in the conference before pulling the plug? !

I don't think anyone's opinion really matters because I think they win 9-10 games next year with the talent that's returning.

Anyone who can’t see improvement from last year to this year is blind. Souhan doesn’t even attempt to look any deeper than their record. He is such a lazy joke of a sports writer. Offensively, the improvement from last year and the added talent level is glaring. Next year this offense will be very good.

Ibrahim will be our third string back behind Brooks and Smith. Tyler Johnson will have another huge year as a senior. Bateman, Autman-Bell, and Douglas will all be sophomores and very good. Dunlap and Faalele will make the o-line the best it’s been in a while even while losing Green and Weyler. Morgan and Annexstad will both be sophomores and have good experience, both will be better next year. And we got rid of a bad D coordinator. Calling the Big Ten mediocre is also absurd.

Our future is very bright, I’m excited. Souhan is a lazy moron taking cheap shots at a coach he doesn’t like, plain and simple.

+1. The improvement in offense from last year to this year is impossible not to see. We'll also bring in at least 3 QBs next year (2 scholarship, 1 PWO). I look forward to watching the O continue to evolve. On D you can see the difference from the early B1G this year to the last two games (I haven't looked up the stats, but yes i thought the D played relatively well yesterday...enough to win...over a team that will be in the B1G championship).

I'm curious why this game was the deal-breaker for some as it appears (there's a fire the coach poll).

I don't think anyone's opinion really matters because I think they win 9-10 games next year with the talent that's returning.

The schedule is also highly favorable.

South Dakota St
@Fresno State
Georgia Southern
@Purdue
Illinois
Nebraska
@Rutgers
Maryland
Penn State
@Iowa
@Northwestern
Wisconsin

Why feel worse after this game? They played a Northwestern team that won the division and will likely go 8-1 in the Big Ten this year, one that won 10 games last year. They were favored to win in Vegas at kickoff. They played basically even-up to ahead with the Cats for 3 quarters in spite of making virtually all of the crucial mistakes.

That itself is proof that what we all want for the Gophers is achievable, realistic, and likely closer than we think if the turnovers and explosive plays start swinging the other way next season.

Wow, this is some deep, well thought out analysis. NOT. How does Souhan keep collecting a paycheck?

Isn't that the truth! It's just such lame writing, no substance...it's pathetic. If I was the editor I'd make him get back to work. Lazy and easy journalism, if this is all it takes to be a writer at the Strib I think I should apply. While I don't necessarily disagree with the thought of progress I think we should remember maybe why that is...that would be the substance to the story.

+1. The improvement in offense from last year to this year is impossible not to see. We'll also bring in at least 3 QBs next year (2 scholarship, 1 PWO). I look forward to watching the O continue to evolve. On D you can see the difference from the early B1G this year to the last two games (I haven't looked up the stats, but yes i thought the D played relatively well yesterday...enough to win...over a team that will be in the B1G championship).

I'm curious why this game was the deal-breaker for some as it appears (there's a fire the coach poll).

Yesterday was a disappointing loss for sure but it's hardly the time to fire the coach or even entertain that thought. Fleck DID inherit a team that had won 2 bowl games, but he also inherited a team with very poor depth along both lines, WR and the defensive secondary was completely decimated from the scandal. To top it off, he took over a team with ZERO decent QB's. Then he lost his best 3 players to catastrophic injuries. You definitely need to give him some time to recruit his players to fill in the many team needs. He is doing that, and he is doing that very well in my opinion. Next year's team should be much better with a lot more depth especially on offense.

As long as he holds onto his next recruiting class, I am satisfied that the team is progressing albeit a little more slowly than some people such as Jim Souhan would like. If you see mass defections at the end of the year from key players or he starts losing his best recruits that's a sign that his players and recruits are losing faith in him and that would be cause for concern.

One thing that does not help Fleck is the memories of Tim Brewster are still freshly in the minds of Gopher fans. The comparisons are undeniably there and he will be fairly or unfairly be compared to him until he starts winning. You can talk the talk and come in with clever cliches and monikers all you want and I think the recruits will buy all that, at least initially. But if they don't see wins they will start to lose faith and you are in big trouble. We aren't there yet but next year we will have to see the program improving on the field.

The natives are beginning to get restless....

The schedule is also highly favorable.

South Dakota St
@Fresno State
Georgia Southern
@Purdue
Illinois
Nebraska
@Rutgers
Maryland
Penn State
@Iowa
@Northwestern
Wisconsin

I also expect 8 wins or more next year, but Fresno State on the road, and Georgia Southern are actually going to be big tests early, and may well set the tone.

This article is overstated and premature. Premature because, if we come back from Madison with a trophy in hand, we will absolutely have improved. Overstated because, as said on here, the "eye test" suggests that the team is better.

That said, if we lose at Wisconsin, we will have improved so little as to not improve our record by even a single game, despite having plenty of chances against bad to mediocre B1G opponents. That is cause for concern.

They will take a huge jump next year and finish .500 in conference or better. Offense will be better in every position group, defense will be better in the DB room, LB might take a step back, DL room will also be better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Win some big ten games. Plain and simple!!! 4-13 doesn’t cut it. I like the offensive talent. I’m not sold on either freshman qb at all. Morgan has a noodle arm and can’t throw it over 30 yards.

Win some big ten games. Plain and simple!!! 4-13 doesn’t cut it. I like the offensive talent. I’m not sold on either freshman qb at all. Morgan has a noodle arm and can’t throw it over 30 yards.

:confused:

Top Bottom