No reason to watch next Saturday

Some Day...Maybe

Reaction score
As someone who’s followed this program extremely close since Kill was hired (and less close the previous 28 years to that), there’s absolutely no reason to waste 3 precious hours of a fall Saturday to watch this game. There’s 0 doubt Wisconsin will win and all it will do is disappoint you.

I believe in Fleck. I believe he’s the best coach with the best opportunity in my lifetime, but it may take until 2020 until he has a breakthrough season.

They needed to win today for a bowl game and I’m not going to spoil a precious Saturday watching them lose to our most hated rival in my opinion.

Reel in some great recruits these last 6 or so weeks Coach Fleck, this season is over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cashman, last game as Gopher.
Tyler Johnson, love watching him play.
See how Morgan does.
Want to watch Big Dan at right tackle.
Lots of reasons to watch.

I'll watch, but I always watch. If they get blown out, I'll quit at halftime. May be the last time to see them this year, so that's a reason right there. I think it will be a close game. We'll lose, they are more talented, older and at home. So it sure doesn't seem like the thing this team can overcome, but we'll see.

You do realize they played a ranked team going to the BiG championship very close right (despite 3 turnovers)? Whisky is the most vulnerable they have been in forever. Win and they get a bowl game as a reward. Plenty to tune in for.

I predict a close game. If we get a break or two we can win. I’ll be there and am hopeful to see a W.

Funny, I thought this was serious for a minute...

Need Taylor to get back to fumbling. And the refs need to call holding on Wisky line. The clutch and grab worse than Iowa.

Need Taylor to get back to fumbling. And the refs need to call holding on Wisky line. The clutch and grab worse than Iowa.

In Wisconsin though? Yeah right. I could easily see people whining and moaning about both next week. The problem with having a good line and good RB is that the refs will probably think they are doing something right and not call it especially at home.

When I was a kid, my dad and I were sitting home watching football one fall Saturday in 1999. We were flipping back and forth between games, then came upon the Gophers as they were just getting started with #2 ranked Penn St. We looked at each other and smirked. He asked if I wanted to watch. I said sure, what the heck - if it turns into a blowout, we can always change the channel. As the game progressed we got more and more excited and when Dan Nystrom kicked the game winner, we both went nuts. That was one of the best moments I've ever had as a Gopher fan, and I will never forget it. Since then, I have never voluntarily missed watching a Gopher game. Have I missed games due to schedule conflicts? Yes. Have I turned games off when we're getting blown out? Sure. But I have never chosen to not watch a game that I've had the ability to watch, and I never will. Even when we face long odds of winning, you never know when you're about to witness something special like that Penn St game. To me, it is always worth watching.

If you don't want to watch next Saturday, then don't, but if you really are a fan, then I don't believe you and think you're full of it :rolleyes:

We play Wisconsin once a year. We have a chance to both win the Axe and go bowling so there's a lot at stake. I don't necessarily think we'll win next weekend but we will beat them again someday and when we do, it will be a big deal and as a fan I don't want to miss that.

As someone who’s followed this program extremely close since Kill was hired (and less close the previous 28 years to that), there’s absolutely no reason to waste 3 precious hours of a fall Saturday to watch this game. There’s 0 doubt Wisconsin will win and all it will do is disappoint you.

I believe in Fleck. I believe he’s the best coach with the best opportunity in my lifetime, but it may take until 2020 until he has a breakthrough season.

They needed to win today for a bowl game and I’m not going to spoil a precious Saturday watching them lose to our most hated rival in my opinion.

Reel in some great recruits these last 6 or so weeks Coach Fleck, this season is over.

I don’t care at all what you do Saturday. None of us do at all. But I feel so lucky that you managed to commit those extra precious minutes on a precious fall Saturday to go ahead and post this. I can see how precious your time is. As fans on this board we all love hearing you whine and tell us we are wasting our time watching the team we love.

Your post sucked.

As much as I want to share the optimism, Wisconsin is down from previous years, but they still are light years ahead of the Gophers in terms of skill, talent, and coaching. As much as I would love to see them win. I just don’t think we have a team that pull off an upset like the 99 team vs. Penn State. Especially on the road with Wisconsin coming back vs. Purdue. Not to mention an offensive and defensive line that overmatches us and a running back group that will probably have an All American. On top of that the refs will not be in Minnesota’s side. Not one bit.

Bowl game or not, nothing would be sweeter than a win in Randall and it is possible. I will be following at the store.

What ya mean? This is by far the biggest game of the Fleck era, which isn't saying a ton. The Axe is reasonable this year, mostly because Wisconsin doesn't look very good. There's a bowl on the line, and a lot on the line in terms of the mood surrounding the program for the next 9 months.

Am I betting on a win? No. But it's reasonable for it to happen this year and it would mean a lot to the program.

With Fleck's performance, it's going to be harder and harder for him to reel in quality recruits.

When I was a kid, my dad and I were sitting home watching football one fall Saturday in 1999. We were flipping back and forth between games, then came upon the Gophers as they were just getting started with #2 ranked Penn St. We looked at each other and smirked. He asked if I wanted to watch. I said sure, what the heck - if it turns into a blowout, we can always change the channel. As the game progressed we got more and more excited and when Dan Nystrom kicked the game winner, we both went nuts. That was one of the best moments I've ever had as a Gopher fan, and I will never forget it. Since then, I have never voluntarily missed watching a Gopher game. Have I missed games due to schedule conflicts? Yes. Have I turned games off when we're getting blown out? Sure. But I have never chosen to not watch a game that I've had the ability to watch, and I never will. Even when we face long odds of winning, you never know when you're about to witness something special like that Penn St game. To me, it is always worth watching.

If you don't want to watch next Saturday, then don't, but if you really are a fan, then I don't believe you and think you're full of it :rolleyes:

We play Wisconsin once a year. We have a chance to both win the Axe and go bowling so there's a lot at stake. I don't necessarily think we'll win next weekend but we will beat them again someday and when we do, it will be a big deal and as a fan I don't want to miss that.

Does anyone remember the "network" for the UM-PSU back in 1999? This was really pre-ESPN days...

Does anyone remember the "network" for the UM-PSU back in 1999? This was really pre-ESPN days...

Date Opponent (Television) Time Sept. 4 OHIO (MSC) 11:10 a.m. Sept. 11 NORTHEAST LOUISIANA (MSC) 7 p.m. Sept. 18 ILLINOIS STATE (MSC-TD) 1:30 p.m. Oct. 2 at Northwestern TBA# Oct. 9 WISCONSIN TBA# Oct. 16 at Illinois 11:10 a.m. (ESPN, ESPN2 or ESPN Regional) Oct. 23 OHIO STATE TBA# Oct. 30 PURDUE* 11:10 a.m. (ESPN, ESPN2 or ESPN Regional) Nov. 6 at Penn State 11:10 a.m. (ESPN, ESPN2 or ESPN Regional) Nov. 13 INDIANA TBA# Nov. 20 at Iowa TBA# All times are Central # Game time/television will be announced either 12 days or 6 days before the game * Homecoming

https://gophersports.com/news/1999/...9_GOLDEN_GOPHER_FOOTBALL_GAMES_ANNOUNCED.aspx

I’m a fan, watched every game since Kill was hired, but I won’t watch this one, because I whole heartedly believe they have absolutely no chance. 14 times in a row, and against much better teams than this, and the biggest kicker, at Wisconsin. If at Minnesota, I watch, but at Wisconsin, 0 chance.

With how inconsistent the Big 10 West has been this year, there's a good reason to watch any game. The division champions lost to a MAC team and Duke. Wisconsin has 4 losses including one to BYU. We lost badly to Nebraska and Illinois and then crushed the team that blew out OSU. I don't like our chances but no one has been dominant this year so it's too early to rule us out. If the team that played Purdue shows up we should win pretty comfortably.

I don’t care at all what you do Saturday. None of us do at all. But I feel so lucky that you managed to commit those extra precious minutes on a precious fall Saturday to go ahead and post this. I can see how precious your time is. As fans on this board we all love hearing you whine and tell us we are wasting our time watching the team we love.

Your post sucked.

You suck, but that’s ok.

It was ESPN2. I also remember Joe Pa cried a lot after the game.

I had convinced myself it was ABC but appreciate the reminder.

God bless cable 'cuz i watched it with great jubilation...

I’m a fan, watched every game since Kill was hired, but I won’t watch this one, because I whole heartedly believe they have absolutely no chance. 14 times in a row, and against much better teams than this, and the biggest kicker, at Wisconsin. If at Minnesota, I watch, but at Wisconsin, 0 chance.

If we had won today, there's no way you would have started this thread. And if you don't want to watch next week, what were you hoping to accomplish by posting it on Gopherhole?

We were competitive with Northwestern today, and they beat Wisconsin. We lost today because we made too many mistakes on offense. Not because we were physically overmatched.

Saying 'I don't want to watch because I don't think we can win' is a loser's mentality, and the very definition of a fairweather fan.

I think there's a better chance this time around than some better Gopher teams had in the past, because Wisconsin is clearly vulnerable and might not have their first choice QB.

I'm with the OP....

I'll watch, probably, on saturday, I always do, but I have a feeling it'll be like it always is.

Highly competitive the first half, and absolutely crap the bed the second half to lose.

Per always...

I think there's a better chance this time around than some better Gopher teams had in the past, because Wisconsin is clearly vulnerable and might not have their first choice QB.

The Badgers are struggling and are not a very good team right now. I think that the axe is definately up for grabs this year and the Gophers will win and bring it home! 24 - 17 Gophers!

Reasons to watch:

1. Gophers might win
2. too full of leftovers to get off the couch
3. Morbid curiosity
4. Dog ate the remote and the TV is stuck on 1 channel.
5. Your brother-in-law is a Wisconsin fan and your wife says you have to let him watch the game.
6. Your life is so meaningless and empty that you literally have nothing else to do.
7. post-hypnotic suggestion
8. something to do to kill time while you wait for T'wolves game to start

Of course you'll be there. You're a Wisconsin fan. Troll.

From the Spoofin posts I have read, it seems like that poster is someone who really wants the gophers to do well, and is annoyed that they are doing poorly. No idea how you get "Wisconsin fan" out of that.

Top Bottom