[POST GAME THREAD] - Northwestern defeats Minnesota 24-14

To many mistakes. Gophers were competitive. The early interception and drops set tone for the fame. Cold worked in Gophers favor last week but not this week, cold wing affected passed. I know Northwestern plays his run defense but I thought Gophers passed a little to much today. That strip sack sealed the game for Northwestern. Don't work out today, to bad because it was winnable game.

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk

Turnovers, dropped passes by Bateman, an off day by Morgan, missed FG by Carpenter and wasted time outs in the first half did the Gophers in today. O line didn’t seem as physical today. I still think the Gophers need to do a better job of rushing the passer too. Also thought that there was some opportunity to try some long passes today that the Goohers did not take or didn’t think they could take. I think Fleck’s Gophers lack the grit of the Kill/Claeys teams.

With that said I feel better this year than I did last year about the direction of the team. I’m hoping for a Gophers upset victory next weekend against Wisconsin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

Well today we played okay, but it was obvious we are just too young. Freshmen mistakes abounded (turnovers, dropped passes, missed opportunities to score, etc). We are a terribly inconsistent team, but that's what we should be. I'm not surprised at all. I'm okay with the result. The better, more mature team won.

That's exactly what I saw. Anyone that's seriously pi$$ed about this loss needs to get some life perspective. Played extremely evenly against the West champs -- a team that beat Wisconsin and won on the road at Iowa. The difference was mistakes as everyone else has said. The coaches could've done a few things differently, but on the whole if Morgan protects that ball, Bateman catches those passes, and Carpenter makes a FG who knows what happens.

OL was pretty bad too. I wonder if NW was doing some creative stuff upfront on D to confuse us.

Anyway, it was a good, close football game that the better team won. NW has won something like 14 out of 15 B1G games. They're beating a lot of people. Crazy.

I was at the game and had a good time.
Sunny side felt warm in the upper deck.

Observations.

1. Northwestern players looked warm. Bateman dropping passes and our other players looked cold. The #1 easiest thing they can do to compete at a higher level is to choose the correct sideline game by game starting next year. Playes play better when their hands are warm.

2. Cashman was all over. He will be missed.

3. We got burnt on a couple blitzes.

4. Northwestern got us to out-mistake them which is how they win all of their games.

5. Offense was inconsistent. Young players are more inconsistent than older proven players who win jobs over inconsistent players.

6. Defense was solid with a couple costly plays. Not perfect but almost good enough.

7. DD82 looks better each week.

At end of half it felt like we should have been down 21-7.
Third quarter went by in a flash.
Gophers kept fighting which was good.

Good luck next week.

Never fun to lose by double digits in a home game you are favored in. Lot of bad mistakes: Bateman drops, at least one of the Morgan interceptions, Morgan throwing lollipops all day, the defense at the end of the first half.

Never fun to lose by double digits in a home game you are favored in. Lot of bad mistakes: Bateman drops, at least one of the Morgan interceptions, Morgan throwing lollipops all day, the defense at the end of the first half.

Never horrible to lose to another ranked team. Something we have done for several years now.

That's exactly what I saw. Anyone that's seriously pi$$ed about this loss needs to get some life perspective. Played extremely evenly against the West champs -- a team that beat Wisconsin and won on the road at Iowa. The difference was mistakes as everyone else has said. The coaches could've done a few things differently, but on the whole if Morgan protects that ball, Bateman catches those passes, and Carpenter makes a FG who knows what happens.

OL was pretty bad too. I wonder if NW was doing some creative stuff upfront on D to confuse us.

Anyway, it was a good, close football game that the better team won. NW has won something like 14 out of 15 B1G games. They're beating a lot of people. Crazy.

Agree 100% with your take, and I think the vast majority of rational fans feel basically the same way. The small, but very vocal anti-Fleck crowd will blame it on him but even if we had won they would have found some other reason to complain about him.

This game was lost on the field. The reality is you can't make mistakes and hope to beat a team like Northwestern.

Northwestern players looked warm. Bateman dropping passes and our other players looked cold. The #1 easiest thing they can do to compete at a higher level is to choose the correct sideline game by game starting next year. Playes play better when their hands are warm.

This makes way too much sense. It astonishes me that we refuse to use this bit of home field advantage that we could on certain days. IIRC, there was a rumor floating around months back they were going to do this and the U was flooded with letters from STHers that were upset they would have to see the backs of the visiting team instead of the backs of the Gophers team. I know that sounds ridiculous that an actual fan would complain about such nonsense when it could give their team an advantage, but it is true. Some on here did the same, I believe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gophers were competitive but all knew that NU would play mostly penalty and turnover free coming in. Gophers would need to play almost a perfect game to be in the running.

Not happy with the loss but was far more pissed after Illinois. Hoping Bucky goes down again to set table for next week in Madison.

Coaches have a great motivational opportunity in front of them for next week. Bring The Axe home and all will be forgiven...plus we'll be bowl eligible.

Need to be at least competitive one more time to make amends for the inconsistency in play and play calling.

Also agree the Defense did it's job today. Special teams were good too. Need all three phases to click next week for a shot.

This makes way too much sense. It astonishes me that we refuse to use this bit of home field advantage that we could on certain days. IIRC, there was a rumor floating around months back they were going to do this and the U was flooded with letters from STHers that were upset they would have to see the backs of the visiting team instead of the backs of the Gophers team. I know that sounds ridiculous that an actual fan would complain about such nonsense when it could give their team an advantage, but it is true. Some on here did the same, I believe.

I didn't think it was a big deal but in person today you could see it.
The Northwestern players (and I sitting upper deck sunny side) actually felt warm. None of their players were needing to grab jackets.
Shady side, almost all Gopher players standing with coats.

For WR's, warm hands work better than cold hands, and I'd have to think that might have affected Bateman.

Any fans who are objecting this need to give up their season tickets, or the U should quit caring about it. I'm not saying it cost us the game, but it certainly could have taken away a couple completions which could have changed the game early.

I wouldn't doubt one bit if they got complaints from Season ticket holders and that is the main reason a change has never been made. People find the dumbest stuff to get outraged about. The other reason why they probably haven't changed is that football teams are all about routine. Switching to the other side of the field wouldn't seem like a big deal but I could see where a team wouldn't want to do it as it would mean a change in what they are used to.

Gophers were competitive but all knew that NU would play mostly penalty and turnover free coming in. Gophers would need to play almost a perfect game to be in the running.

Not happy with the loss but was far more pissed after Illinois. Hoping Bucky goes down again to set table for next week in Madison.

Coaches have a great motivational opportunity in front of them for next week. Bring The Axe home and all will be forgiven...plus we'll be bowl eligible.

Need to be at least competitive one more time to make amends for the inconsistency in play and play calling.

Also agree the Defense did it's job today. Special teams were good too. Need all three phases to click next week for a shot.

The success of this season all lays on next week's results.

The success of this season all lays on next week's results.

Wow. I agree with you again.

I am not worked up about today at all. We made mistakes. We lost. Still, I have seen enough the last 2 weeks and enough of Wisconsin this year to know we have a chance next week. Win and we end the nightmare streak and we go Bowlin. A lot on the line. Go Gophers!

I'm willing to bet that over the history of TCF that a review of just butts in the seats at the mid-point of the 2nd quarter for every home game would show more empties in the Home side than Visitors.

The student section does not count.

Given what appeared to be Coach Claeys "sensitivity" to cold I'd bet we'd at least have tried it by now for one November game.

To be fair makes the most difference in November when there's sunshine. Cloudy (or night of course) makes no difference.

Finally if our Culture is to embrace the Minnesota climate then it's moot. Cold for the good guys it is.

Last edited:

Morgan wasn't a decisive decision maker today. He seemed to be aiming the ball instead of throwing it.

Despite the turnovers, drops and penalties we were in the game if Carpenter makes that field goal.

Beat the Badgers.

Morgan wasn't a decisive decision maker today. He seemed to be aiming the ball instead of throwing it.

Despite the turnovers, drops and penalties we were in the game if Carpenter makes that field goal.

Beat the Badgers.

Agree. Some questionable ball spots by the refs as well.

Vs Iowa, Michigan, Wisconsin:
Claeys 0-5 (margins of 3, 5, 10, 7, 14)
Fleck 0-4 (margins of 7, 23, 31, 17)

Big Ten games:
Claeys 1-4 (20%)

Fleck 4-13 (24%)

Bowls:
Claeys 2-0
Fleck N/A

Overall:
Claeys 11-8
Fleck 10-13

Vs Ranked:
Claeys 0-5
Fleck 0-3

Wins by 20+ & Losses by 20+:
Claeys 3 & 0 (2 & 0, B1G)
Fleck 6 & 6 (2 & 6, B1G)

Truth or trolling?

You sure about this record?

Beat the Badgers.

Carpenter seems like a wonderful young man and a great human being, but you're a Senior kicker, and making that FG would have mattered.

I thought the pipe wrench on the sideline would be a difference maker. Should have gone with a Vice Grip. Major coaching error.
Where was the old time hand crank drill. THAT would have been appropriate.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Not to say it’s why we lost but the officials were extra bad

Felt like the defense played well enough, but the line of scrimmage battle went to NW. I was surprised that their D Line was able to handle our OLine as I thought they had really been getting better every week.

Cashman, helluva game.

Beat the Badgers!

Watching Wisconsin carve Purdue and their defeat like a knife through butter makes me feel even worse for next week. They’ll be going someplace warm and we will be limping home with our tails between our legs.

I think the year is over, 5-7. Long off season. Hope Fleck and company pick up a couple big time recruits before signing day. Hopefully next year we’ll make a Bowl game. It will be a heavy, heavy dose of Jonathan Taylor and that Wisconsin offensive line next week and unfortunately we do not have the defensive line to compete.

Top Bottom