[POST GAME THREAD] - Northwestern defeats Minnesota 24-14

Hollinsanity

Reaction score
What’d ya think, Gopherhole?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The enigma continues. I think next year will be better.

Not the result we wanted but it’s hard to win a game with limited success in opponent territory and with three turnovers.

My oars are still in the water and I’m excited for both next week and next year.

Back to Back good showings by the defense. Can't turn the ball over against a team like Northwestern and hope to win because they are just too sound across the board.

Morgan had a rough game although only 1 of the 2 picks was really on him, the first one was very flukey. The strip sack was in large part due to Greene not providing much resistance at all against his guy. The O-Line was bad today, Morgan had guys in his face all game.

If the offense had played better we would have had a good shot of coming away with the victory. Too many mistakes to overcome today.

The true believers will call this another moral victory. The truth is that in 2 years, Fleck will have only 3 Big 10 wins, none of them against rivals, and zero bowl appearances.

To think how far we've fallen since Fleck's hiring: People were furious when Claeys lost to Michigan by a yard in 2016. Now, excuses are made for blowout losses to Illinois, Nebraska, and Maryland.

Offense was bad, Morgan was floating balls all over, play calling sucked at times. The game was their for the taking, offense just didn’t get it done.

The true believers will call this another moral victory. The truth is that in 2 years, Fleck will have only 3 Big 10 wins, none of them against rivals, and zero bowl appearances.

To think how far we've fallen since Fleck's hiring: People were furious when Claeys lost to Michigan by a yard in 2016. Now, excuses are made for blowout losses to Illinois, Nebraska, and Maryland.

It's definitely been worse than I ever expected. If they don't make a bowl game this year and next, what a huge disaster it was to make the changes that they did. I think it's pretty unlikely we miss a bowl game next year, but you never know.

What’s a true believer and where are all these moral victory comments?

The same Maryland that's about to beat CFP contender Ohio State right now?

The good:
Cashman, Ibrahim, Herbers, Johnson, Run-D

The bad:
Both lines, Carpenter, Bateman's hands, the use of timeouts

The ugly:
Morgan, turnovers, the secondary, 3rd down play-calling

Excited to see the defense play well against the division champs. Hope they carry it over next week at Wiscy.

Ibrahim continues to look really good - 2nd only to Maroney now for most rushing yards as a frosh.

Morgan made too many mistakes, but he did also make lots of nice throws. Tough day for the line - hope we play Dunlap next week at Wiscy.

Didn't like the 3rd down call at all, but hopefully they learn from it.

The way this season is wrapping up compared to last season is night and day. I see that as progress that I can stay behind.

Well he currently has 4 so that ends this moronic post. How many wins did Claeys have against rivals?

More cheering in the BWW tent across the street for a Maryland score than inside TCF for a Gopher score [emoji53]

Offense was bad, Morgan was floating balls all over, play calling sucked at times. The game was their for the taking, offense just didn’t get it done.

The turnovers killed us, the missed field goal and the decision not to go for a field goal hurt as well (We could have been within 6 with over 4 minutes left if we had six point from that). I will give the NW defense credit though. We had a similar number of yards against them as Duke, Wisconsin, and Iowa. Our one bad defensive series right before the half turned out to be a killer as well.

I thought the pipe wrench on the sideline would be a difference maker. Should have gone with a Vice Grip. Major coaching error.

I learned in the in-game thread that timeouts don’t even matter in CFB.

I thought the pipe wrench on the sideline would be a difference maker. Should have gone with a Vice Grip. Major coaching error.

How about a case or two of Flex Seal? That might be enough to fix all of the holes in the boat.

Well he currently has 4 so that ends this moronic post. How many wins did Claeys have against rivals?

Claeys won 5 conference games in one year and earned us a bowl game win. Please give me more excuses for Fleck's performance.

Claeys won 5 conference games in one year and earned us a bowl game win. Please give me more excuses for Fleck's performance.

What does this have to do with your completely made up original post?

Morgan made some mistakes, but NW did put a lot of pressure on him. As said earlier in the thread, can't make mistakes against these guys. Hopefully get the one next weekend.

What does this have to do with your completely made up original post?

Wow! Are you happy with four conference wins instead of three? Is that how you judge success? Four conference wins in two years is still unacceptable.

Claeys had more wins in a single year than Fleck has had in two.

Vs Iowa, Michigan, Wisconsin:
Claeys 0-5 (margins of 3, 5, 10, 7, 14)
Fleck 0-4 (margins of 7, 23, 31, 17)

Big Ten games:
Claeys 6-8
Fleck 4-13

Bowls:
Claeys 2-0
Fleck N/A

Overall:
Claeys 11-8
Fleck 10-13

Vs Ranked:
Claeys 0-5
Fleck 0-3

Wins by 20+ & Losses by 20+:
Claeys 3 & 0 (2 & 0, B1G)
Fleck 6 & 6 (2 & 6, B1G)

Truth or trolling?

Last edited:

I went to run errands at halftime - car wouldn't start. spent the 2nd half calling a service station and eventually getting my battery replaced. What'd I miss?

Well today we played okay, but it was obvious we are just too young. Freshmen mistakes abounded (turnovers, dropped passes, missed opportunities to score, etc). We are a terribly inconsistent team, but that's what we should be. I'm not surprised at all. I'm okay with the result. The better, more mature team won.

I went to run errands at halftime - car wouldn't start. spent the 2nd half calling a service station and eventually getting my battery replaced. What'd I miss?

Mistakes and a lack of execution. Conservative coaching, similar to a kill game. Not as aggressive as claeys may have been.

I was at the game and these are my observations:

1. Bateman’s early drops and the interception he was involved in set an early bad tone for the offense.

2. The offensive line didn’t play well today.

3. Morgan was inconsistent.

4. The officiating was in Northwestern’s favor today.

5. After not making it on that 3rd down with a RUTM they should have gone for it on 4th down instead of attempting a field goal.

Do our players have their parents read them bedtime stories on road trips?

Huge bummer. It wasn't quite the Jekyl-Hyde performance I have learned to expect, as the defense actually did okay. Until that blown huge play. Offense just sucked and the dumb turnovers were the difference.

Well. The bowl game dreams all come down to next weekend I guess.

Top Bottom