Defense was good enough today

mnsports1

Reaction score
Too bad Morgan gave the game away. Chip shot FG missed really hurt too. Hopefully we are good enough to get win 6 next week. Wouldn’t be surprised if we see Zack next week too at some point in the game

Coaches threw away a lot of points as well. Don't let them off the hook.

You can only ask a defense to do so much... the offense and coaches blew this one.

Defense wasn’t the issue. Would be nice to get some takeaways but Northwestern doesn’t do that

Coaches threw away a lot of points as well. Don't let them off the hook.

I don't think we have to worry about that. I am sure you and the other Fleck haters will post it about 100 times in the next day or so.

You can only ask a defense to do so much... the offense and coaches blew this one.

Agreed. That said, you can only ask so much of a freshman QB. This loss is on Fleck. He sheet the bed.

It’s not just that we don’t create any turnovers.

We don’t even come close to creating turnovers.

I don't think we have to worry about that. I am sure you and the other Fleck haters will post it about 100 times in the next day or so.
Maybe if we post it 200 times, the rest of you will start paying attention. Phildo laid an egg today. There's no disputing that.

Maybe if we post it 200 times, the rest of you will start paying attention. Phildo laid an egg today. There's no disputing that.

Easy to disagree with some calls. No way coaches lost this game though.

Yeah, the coach definitely controls bad throws by our freshman QB and him getting sacked and stripped - or one of our best kickers in program history missing a FG. I didn't agree with the 3rd down call before it, but regardless, you're a total clown trying to tie everything to Fleck. Get. A. Life.

Agreed. That said, you can only ask so much of a freshman QB. This loss is on Fleck. He sheet the bed.

They played well today - d and offense that outgained northwestern - northwestern had a 5th year senior at qb and a mature defense. Our turnovers were the difference, not coaching.

Yeah, the coach definitely controls bad throws by our freshman QB and him getting sacked and stripped - or one of our best kickers in program history missing a FG. I didn't agree with the 3rd down call before it, but regardless, you're a total clown trying to tie everything to Fleck. Get. A. Life.

Going to be a ton of fixation on that third down call. I would have liked to see Green out there running the wildcat in that situation as well but there is no guarantee he would have gotten the first down. I have zero issues with trying the field goal there as the game was still close at that point.

Opportunities were there but turnovers and a missed field goal killed us. In every game there are things we wish the coaches would have done differently but in the end it comes down to the players on the field and today they didn't get it done.

Continue to be amazed, week in and week out, that for some, a loss is never, ever on the players on the field.

Same. I disagree with some of the coaching decisions today but that didn’t lead to the loss.

In the same way the players won the game last week. Well getting Smith out of the way helped a little. Which begs the question after seeing two solid performances in a row from the D... was he a saboteur ? (Not serious)

Going to be a ton of fixation on that third down call. I would have liked to see Green out there running the wildcat in that situation as well but there is no guarantee he would have gotten the first down. I have zero issues with trying the field goal there as the game was still close at that point.

Opportunities were there but turnovers and a missed field goal killed us. In every game there are things we wish the coaches would have done differently but in the end it comes down to the players on the field and today they didn't get it done.
you mean like when he got absolutely stuffed on 4th down?

Turnovers:

Gophers - 3
Wildcats - 0

Game
Tells the story of the game. That and Gophers need to learn to control line of scrimmage and to take what is given, you don't always have to try for homerun or mist explosive play.

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk

NW defended the wildcat well. I had no problem with more of the field to defend there with tanner in.
Wasn't all his fault, running back was supposed to block crasher off the edge and went to the lead blocker instead.

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk

I'm sorry, I was at the game and not as tuned in as I maybe could have been.

Where did the coaches leave points on the board? I didn't have any issue with play calls as I thought they varied things up well and got away from the Wild Cat in time when that was getting stuffed.
If you turn over the ball 3 times and your best or second best WR drops his first three passes with cold hands (and doesn't catch another catchable ball late), I'm happy if you only lose by 10.

Defense gave up a big play when blitzing which burnt them, so being too aggressive defensively might have been the biggest coach criticism, but I'll let that one slide since our D is playing better these last two weeks than earlier in the season.

I've got two big grips with the defensetoday. That drive to let northwestern score at the end of the half was awful. Dont remember who it was, but in the second half we had a back make a terrible decision to try to jump in front of the receiver instead of just tackling the player. Led to a huge play, but I do give credit for staying with the play and chasing down the receiver.

Other than that, I thought defense looked sharp again. Clearly we have the personnel. It is shocking that Robb Smith was hired in the first place, and he was allowed to stick around as long as he did blowing games for us.

I've got two big grips with the defensetoday. That drive to let northwestern score at the end of the half was awful. Dont remember who it was, but in the second half we had a back make a terrible decision to try to jump in front of the receiver instead of just tackling the player. Led to a huge play, but I do give credit for staying with the play and chasing down the receiver.

Other than that, I thought defense looked sharp again. Clearly we have the personnel. It is shocking that Robb Smith was hired in the first place, and he was allowed to stick around as long as he did blowing games for us.

At the game it appeared we blitzed on that play, and Howden the safety tried to cover. I think it was third down and we were hoping to pin them deep I'm guessing.
He miss-judged his angle or the ball but used his speed to make the tackle.
I think it was more of the fact we blitzed which exposed him one-on-one (or a DB got beat).

We had drops, turnovers and penalties. Can't beat Northwestern doing that.

At the game it appeared we blitzed on that play, and Howden the safety tried to cover. I think it was third down and we were hoping to pin them deep I'm guessing.
He miss-judged his angle or the ball but used his speed to make the tackle.
I think it was more of the fact we blitzed which exposed him one-on-one (or a DB got beat).
Agree. I thought it was crazy Howden recovered to make the tackle

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Top Bottom