Mychal Thompson: Jordan Murphy...The BEST Big Man in Gopher history

BleedGopher

Reaction score
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Wow, huge compliment! Imagine Murphy’s talents at 6’ 10”?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pretty nice praise from one of our best players of all time. Murphy certainly one of our best big men ever - I would consider him top five.

Mychael Thompson all time leading scorer (sorry Voshon) and first player selected in nba draft
Jim Brewer amazing player and selected second overall in nba draft
Kevin McHale - best pro we have had but dominating in college too and drafted third overall in nba
Also Randy Breuer needs to be in this list too

Pretty nice praise from one of our best players of all time. Murphy certainly one of our best big men ever - I would consider him top five.

Mychael Thompson all time leading scorer (sorry Voshon) and first player selected in nba draft
Kevin McHale - best pro we have had but dominating in college too and drafted third overall in nba

In an environment loaded with egos that can't fit into gyms, Mychael tossing that praise out is really impressive. I always liked the guy. Like him even more now. Still wished he would steered his kid the U of M, though.

They are all hanging in the rafters. Will Murphy have his jersey up there as well?

They are all hanging in the rafters. Will Murphy have his jersey up there as well?

Murphy should be our all-time leading rebounder and top 2 or 3 in points. If you base it on college stats his number should be retired.

Good summary but Murphy hasn’t been drafted yet. Not that he would go as high as those guys but I have a feeling that he may be drafted as a role player who will surprise people.

Remember when Pitino used to talk about high motor Murph and low motor Murph? And that if he learned to channel high motor Murph there'd be no limit?

No sign of low motor Murph anywhere anymore.

Murphy should be our all-time leading rebounder and top 2 or 3 in points. If you base it on college stats his number should be retired.

If he becomes all-time best rebounder, hang his jersey just a little higher than the others.

Mychal Thompson was to college basketball what Rod Carew was to baseball -- pure poetry in motion.

Gotta feel privileged being able to watch both of them play.

JTG

John Thomas!!! Oh wait that was just a dream.

Damn it...it needs to be done!

Tend to agree. Willie was the best player on a really good Gopher team. That squad was a joy to watch, especially in the barn.

By today's standards, I suppose he would have been considered something like a stretch-4 or a perimeter-3 with a mid-range game. In any case, he was a great player for that team. His performances in the 1990 NCAA Tournament are some of my fondest memories of Gopher hoops.

In terms of all-time Gophers, he's probably my personal favorite (second/third being Dusty Rychart and Quincy Lewis). Anyway, it'd be great to see Willie in the rafters some day...

I still don't think Murphy cracks the all-time Gopher starting 5.

Mine:
PG: Ray Williams
SG: Trent Tucker
SF: Willie Burton
PF: Kevin McHale
C: Mychal Thompson

Bench: Randy Breuer, Jordan Murphy, Voshon Leonard, Osborne Lockhart, Bobby Jackson, Lou Hudson, Jim Brewer, Sam Jacobsen, Whitey Skoog, Blake Hoffarber

I'd take these guys and have Flip as my coach. Because you know I wanted to pick him.

Remember when Pitino used to talk about high motor Murph and low motor Murph? And that if he learned to channel high motor Murph there'd be no limit?

No sign of low motor Murph anywhere anymore.

Yep, only real knock on Murph at this point is that he picks up stupid fouls sometimes. Outside of that he is a ton of fun to watch and definitely deserves to be counted among the best big men in Gopher history.

Murph nailed that 3 the other night. Looked comfortable doing so.

Tend to agree. Willie was the best player on a really good Gopher team. That squad was a joy to watch, especially in the barn.

By today's standards, I suppose he would have been considered something like a stretch-4 or a perimeter-3 with a mid-range game. In any case, he was a great player for that team. His performances in the 1990 NCAA Tournament are some of my fondest memories of Gopher hoops.

In terms of all-time Gophers, he's probably my personal favorite (second/third being Dusty Rychart and Quincy Lewis). Anyway, it'd be great to see Willie in the rafters some day...

Burton was my favorite player growing up as well.

If he becomes all-time best rebounder, hang his jersey just a little higher than the others.

Yes, hang it right up there next to Bob Martin... oh wait... hang it anyway.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mine:

Bench: Randy Breuer, Jordan Murphy, Voshon Leonard, Osborne Lockhart, Bobby Jackson, Lou Hudson, Jim Brewer, Sam Jacobsen, Whitey Skoog, Blake Hoffarber

I'd take these guys and have Flip as my coach. Because you know I wanted to pick him.

What about Skoog's game did you like so much? Surprised you put him on here. Seems undersized and slow to me.

What about Skoog's game did you like so much? Surprised you put him on here. Seems undersized and slow to me.

Call it a nod to nostalgia.

Guess I could have gone with Bud Grant!

Mine:

Missing Mark Olberding. Guy was amazing scorer.

Top Bottom