Gophers kicker Emmit Carpenter's legacy: selflessness and record-setting accuracy

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Randy:

Emmit Carpenter’s career as a place-kicker began as a freshman at Ashwaubenon High School, about a mile away from Lambeau Field in Green Bay, Wis. His high school coach was trying to remedy his team’s kicking woes, so he held an open tryout.

Carpenter, a wide receiver and defensive back, decided to give it a go. “I stepped up and just naturally swung at the ball and kicked it really far,” he said. “From that point on, I was just pegged as our team’s kicker.”

And from that point on, Carpenter began a journey that took him to the University of Minnesota, where he not only became one of the best kickers in Gophers history but also made a mark for serving his community. On Saturday morning, the fifth-year senior will kick in his final home game as the Gophers face Northwestern on Senior Day.

“It’s gone by scary fast,” Carpenter said. “It feels like we just started training camp, and I blinked my eyes a few times and we’re here in the middle of November and almost coming to a close.”

Minnesota’s starting kicker for the past three seasons, Carpenter has made 48 of his 59 career field-goal attempts, an 81.4 percent success rate that is the best in program history. This season, he is 12-for-15, including a career-long 53-yarder, and is flashing 2016 form, the year he went 22-for-24 and was named Big Ten kicker of the year.

Those are statistics that measure Carpenter’s performance on the field. Off the field, he has visited hospitals and helped run charity drives.

“All they’ve done is serve and give their entire time since I’ve known them, and made their life about other people,” coach P.J. Fleck said about a senior leadership core that includes Carpenter, Payton Jordahl, Blake Cashman, Jared Weyler and Jacob and Julian Huff. “… We deal with at times a selfish society. They’re going to come out as selfless.”

http://www.startribune.com/gophers-...ssness-and-record-setting-accuracy/500731232/

Go Gophers!!

Best kicker we've ever had. Hands down.

Accuracy. Leg. Man.

Fun story to read. Interesting tidbits.

Fun story to read. Interesting tidbits.

Great kicker but jinx today on the FG. Chip Lohmiller was another excellent kicker who played 9 seasons in the NFL with an almost 72 % completion rate.

Top Bottom