UCF and the CFP

bottlebass

Main Member
Reaction score
If UCF beats Cinci, and wins out and is undefeated for the 2nd year in a row do they get in?

Look at their wins and tell us who they beat this year.

Look at their wins and tell us who they beat this year.

Uconn, SC state, Fl Atlantic, Pitt, SMU, Memphis, East carolina, Temple, Navy (and would be Cinci and South florida) plus conference championship

They have won like 25 games in a row...

Uconn, SC state, Fl Atlantic, Pitt, SMU, Memphis, East carolina, Temple, Navy (and would be Cinci and South florida) plus conference championship

They have won like 25 games in a row...

Last years games don't count because the team is different each year.
That only matters if you are a blue blood with the same coach and solid track record of success through recruiting, stability, and coaching.

Clemson beat an overrated BC squad and an overrated NC State squad and a Syracuse team that's rated.
And Texas A&M.

And they will need to win a respectable conference title game to advance as well.

Last years games don't count because the team is different each year.
That only matters if you are a blue blood with the same coach and solid track record of success through recruiting, stability, and coaching.

I understand that, was just stating something that is extremely impressive.

Clemson beat an overrated BC squad and an overrated NC State squad and a Syracuse team that's rated.
And Texas A&M.

And they will need to win a respectable conference title game to advance as well.

So they have beat 1 rated team and UCF will have beaten 1 rated team.

The strength of schedule argument is a little overrated when none of the undefeated teams are even close to the top 25 in strength of schedule.

So they have beat 1 rated team and UCF will have beaten 1 rated team.

The strength of schedule argument is a little overrated when none of the undefeated teams are even close to the top 25 in strength of schedule.

Why doesn’t the NCAA use Talent Rankings to determine who had the harder schedule?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Being a fan of our beloved Gophers, I have a soft spot for the underdogs of college football. I hate that the blue bloods are always given the benefit of the doubt. Until UCF schedules some power five opponents they will never be given a chance or until the college football expands to a minimum of eight teams.

As things stand now, no, they will not be considered for this years playoff.

Why doesn’t the NCAA use Talent Rankings to determine who had the harder schedule?

Not sure if you are following the thread but they kind of do

Not sure if you are following the thread but they kind of do

I must not be. Explain how that is used in determining SoS?

I must not be. Explain how that is used in determining SoS?

Well when you say Clemson’s schedule is so tough no way a one loss team can jump them but UCFs is so bad that UCF can never even sniff the playoff even ahead of two loss teams

What are you basing it on other than recruiting rankings?
A win over Boston college who lost to Purdue and only beat temple by 10?
A Win over a Syracuse team who currently can chalk up western Michigan as their second best win?

No I am going to say it I s based on reputation and recruiting rankings. Certainly isn’t THAT far apart based on actual on field results.

In case y'all haven't really figured it out? Follow the money, every time! ESPN has all the influence in the world as to who the four teams are that will play in the college football playoff.

It has nothing to do with recruiting or player rankings!

Well when you say Clemson’s schedule is so tough no way a one loss team can jump them but UCFs is so bad that UCF can never even sniff the playoff even ahead of two loss teams

A Win over a Syracuse team who currently can chalk up western Michigan as their second best win?

No I am going to say it I s based on reputation and recruiting rankings. Certainly isn’t THAT far apart based on actual on field results.

So the NCAA doesn’t use recruiting rankings when determining SoS. OK. I read somewhere recently that they did.

I largely agree.

ACC traditionally has better teams than the AAC.
I think what conference a team is has influence on rankings, whether AP, coaches, or CFP.

Some teams have historic advantages. Some of that may be related to a proven track record of success (example why Bama never starts ranked lower than top 5) and also because of recruiting rankings.
Now every voter in a poll is going to think differently on it, but I would likely fill my top 25 with teams that play other teams in power 5 conferences which are usually also the teams towards the top of the recruiting rankings.

Look at these rankings.
https://247sports.com/Season/2018-Football/CompositeTeamRankings/
See how very few AAC teams (if any) are top 50.

Maybe NDSU and St Thomas can also secure a spot?

Wisconsin laughed at having to play WMU in a prestigious bowl. They won.
Auburn laughed at having to play UCF in a prestigious bowl.
They went home with their Tiger tails between their legs.

There is no comparison between the two schedules. If UCF wants to be in the playoff discussion, they should schedule some of the big boys in non-conference. Until then, all they're doing is whining.

The Big 12 needs to add UCF and USF/Houston. If the want they could add 4 by including Boise/Memphis/BYU to that group.

There is no comparison between the two schedules. If UCF wants to be in the playoff discussion, they should schedule some of the big boys in non-conference. Until then, all they're doing is whining.

It’s a good thing there is no comparing schedules. Because if you compared them they wouldn’t be that different.

So the NCAA doesn’t use recruiting rankings when determining SoS. OK. I read somewhere recently that they did.

The NCAA has no say who gets in the playoff

The NCAA has no say who gets in the playoff

You are correct. I should have said committee. You still have provided zero evidence that the committee uses talent Rankings in their analysis in any way. We should all hope they don’t - for obvious reasons.

I’d love for them to get in the playoff, get their asses kicked in the first game and then told to sit down and STFU.

Then I want the committee to decide there is no reason to expand the playoffs beyond 8 teams.

Top Bottom