UCF and the CFP

They should get in. If they tank then oh well at least they were given the opportunity

You are correct. I should have said committee. You still have provided zero evidence that the committee uses talent Rankings in their analysis in any way. We should all hope they don’t - for obvious reasons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They arbitrarily decide who should be ranked what based on the eye test.
Alabama could lose a game and will still be in the playoff because they are the “best” team.

They don’t pull out actual rankings. But any time the eye test is involved, you may as well be using talent ratings.

The Big 12 needs to add UCF and USF/Houston. If the want they could add 4 by including Boise/Memphis/BYU to that group.

Why would they split their revenues 4 more ways by adding four teams that add very little to their revenue?
The 10 current teams would likely lose money by adding those four teams. Which is why they haven’t.

They should get in. If they tank then oh well at least they were given the opportunity

Won't happen but I agree. Settle the debate once and for all and give a non power 5 team a shot.

Won't happen but I agree. Settle the debate once and for all and give a non power 5 team a shot.

I dint disagree with your premise, but UCF can't be considered with the schedule they have played. Two years ago the University of Houston beat both Oklahoma and Louisville, had they not lost a couple games in the conference they may have warranted a consideration. My point is that if you are a non Power Five school you have to have at least two big time wins out of conference and then run the table.

I dint disagree with your premise, but UCF can't be considered with the schedule they have played. Two years ago the University of Houston beat both Oklahoma and Louisville, had they not lost a couple games in the conference they may have warranted a consideration. My point is that if you are a non Power Five school you have to have at least two big time wins out of conference and then run the table.

Might be easier said then done though because you have to find quality teams that are willing to play you.

What if UCF was tied with the citadel at halftime?

No, it was Bama (who went on to win 50-17)

But it was UCF who gave up 500 yards and only beat Memphis by 1, gave up nearly 700 yards to Temple, and only beat 2-8 Navy by 11. And who's wins have come against UConn (166), SC State (215), FAU (94), Pittsburgh (48), SMU (101), Memphis (57), East Carolina (126), Temple (49), and Navy (110) (Sagarin rankings).

Compare to Notre Dame's wins: Michigan (3), Ball State (137), Vanderbilt (66), Wake Forest (73), Stanford (22), Virginia Tech (63), Pittsburgh (48), Navy (110), Northwestern (33), Florida State (65).

UCF's best win is tied for ND's 4th best win. UCF has played FIVE teams with sagarin rankings >100. ND has played ONE. ND's worst opponent has been Navy, which is UCF's FOURTH worst opponent.

If we look at Clemson's schedule, they have beaten Furman (147), Texas A&M (16), Georgia Southern (93), Georgia Tech (36), Syracuse (34), Wake Forest (73), NC State (32), Florida State (65), Louisville (103), and Boston College (30). Again, UCF's best win would be Clemson's SIXTH best win.

How about Michigan? Notre Dame (L) (9), Western Michigan (104), SMU (101), Nebraska (61), Northwestern (33), Maryland (53), Wisconsin (26), Michigan St (21), Penn State (8), Rutgers (133). UCF's best win would be Michigan's 5th best win.

We could go down the list

The Gophers could probably be freaking 8-1 or 7-2 with UCF's schedule. Should that be in the discussion? Hell no.

The simple fact is that UCF needs to play and beat somebody real in the non-conference if they want to be in the CFP. Until they do that, they will never be included. The playoff committee will not reward a team for beating up a bunch of nobodies.

Last edited:

No, it was Bama (who went on to win 50-17)

The Gophers could probably be freaking 8-1 or 7-2 with UCF's schedule. Should that be in the discussion? Hell no.

Post Robb Smith maybe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There's only one way to settle this, and that's the Power 5 champs and the 3 top at-large schools from other conferences and/or independent enter a bracket. At the time of this post, it would mean this:

Alabama (SEC) vs Utah St (AL3)
Michigan (B1G) vs Oklahoma (B12)

Clemson (ACC) vs UCF (AL2)
Notre Dame (AL1) vs Washington St (P12)

Of course, that will never happen. Instead the top 8 committee/computer algorithm chosen teams will go, and we'll see a conference with 2 teams and an undefeated UCF-type team left out. Because money.

The Citadel will be nowhere to be found in the DI FCS playoff bracket tomorrow. 4-6 in a weak FCS conference.

Last edited:

How can Gopher and B1G fans say, schedule better, when you and your league do everything possible to squeeze out G5 teams, and avoid playing good G5 teams. You move to 9 game Conf schedules, and try play the dregs from G5 leagues for Ws. Who is trying to schedule UCF, Boise, Houston, Cincy.

Either schedule and beat them, or deal with 12-0 in the playoff. The playoff money is for the best teams, not your league per say. B1G best team lost to ND who will be 12-0.

Last edited:

Here's my question of the day. Who's more deserving. Undefeated UCF or One Loss Washington St?

I think you have to say Washington St, assuming they win out...

Here's my question of the day. Who's more deserving. Undefeated UCF or One Loss Washington St?

I think you have to say Washington St, assuming they win out...

I would tend to agree. Here are some teams who should under no circumstances go ahead of UCF because they already will have proven they aren’t the best team in the country:

Michigan, if Notre Dame is in the playoff.
The loser of the SEC championship game.
Any two loss team.

Teams currently ahead of UCF: scoring at home

Alabama
Clemson
Georgia
Michigan
Oklahoma
Notre Dame

A loss by the bottom 4, I move UCF ahead. Top 2 can afford a loss and stay ahead of UCF. Wash St pretty equal to UCF right now with sos 58 and sagarin 15, and 1 loss. UCF 106-23. UCF boatraced to ACC coastal champ, a league on par with B1G west (same sagarin).

Ohio st could move in I suppose at 12-1. Eye test says no for now.

Last edited:

Teams currently ahead of UCF:

Alabama
Clemson
Georgia
Michigan
Oklahoma
Notre Dame

A loss by the bottom 4, I move UCF ahead. Top 2 can afford a loss and stay ahead of UCF. Wash St pretty equal to UCF right now with sos 58 and sagarin 15. UCF 106-23

If Georgia beats Alabama, why should Alabama still go?

We have no idea if UCF is deserving of a national title. People think they know they aren’t...but they are just guessing...however...we know the loser of the SEC title game is not deserving due to the fact that they just lost to a playoff team at the end of the season. Unfair to the winner of the SEC title game to make them do it twice IMO. Last year was a little different in that Alabama lost on the road and Georgia never beat Alabama.

We have no idea if UCF is deserving of a national title. People think they know they aren’t...but they are just guessing...however...we know the loser of the SEC title game is not deserving due to the fact that they just lost to a playoff team at the end of the season. Unfair to the winner of the SEC title game to make them do it twice IMO. Last year was a little different in that Alabama lost on the road and Georgia never beat Alabama.

Well because Alabama is the best team hands down. And it shouldn't matter when you lose (although it always does). Losing early (Michigan and Ohio St) shouldn't take precedence. But nobody wants 2 SEC teams, so let's hope Bama beats Georgia. If Georgia wins, UCF is out for sure...

And for the record, Bama and Clemson will destroy UCF if they get to play. That's my opinion...

UCF boatraced ACC coastal champ, a league with the same sagarin as B1G west. Had game against UNC cancelled, would have helped them some, although unc not good.

UCF has to win out, but I could see them gain stream.

Well because Alabama is the best team hands down. And it shouldn't matter when you lose (although it always does). Losing early (Michigan and Ohio St) shouldn't take precedence. But nobody wants 2 SEC teams, so let's hope Bama beats Georgia. If Georgia wins, UCF is out for sure...

If Alabama loses to Georgia, they aren’t the best team hands down like you just said.

I don’t think Georgia beats Alabama. But if they do. It means Bama isn’t the team everyone thinks they are.

If Alabama loses to Georgia, they aren’t the best team hands down like you just said.

I don’t think Georgia beats Alabama. But if they do. It means Bama isn’t the team everyone thinks they are.

It means they are in the same boat as the rest of the one loss teams. And I don't see, based on their play this year, how you could not see them as one of the 4 best. I'd agree with the argument if we were sitting here with 5 undefeated teams from the Power 5. But we're not...

It means they are in the same boat as the rest of the one loss teams. And I don't see, based on their play this year, how you could not see them as one of the 4 best. I'd agree with the argument if we were sitting here with 5 undefeated teams from the Power 5. But we're not...

If Georgia beats Alabama. I’d argue Georgia is the best team, even ahead of the unbeaten. But are you really going to make Georgia beat Bama on a neutral field twice.

If Bama automatically gets in regardless of the results on the field, they should just rest their starters in the SEC title game.

UCF boatraced ACC coastal champ, a league with the same sagarin as B1G west. Had game against UNC cancelled, would have helped them some, although unc not good.

UCF has to win out, but I could see them gain stream.

And honestly, you are going to pin your hat on them beating a 7-4 Pitt team? Pitt isn't good. UCF hasn't played anyone of note. As of the next poll, not one team that will be ranked. Undefeated is good, but they are not deserving. Play someone of note in the non-conference. Prove yourself.

And honestly, you are going to pin your hat on them beating a 7-4 Pitt team? Pitt isn't good. UCF hasn't played anyone of note. As of the next poll, not one team that will be ranked. Undefeated is good, but they are not deserving. Play someone of note in the non-conference. Prove yourself.

So the ACC coastal champ by 30 isn’t anything? Is the same as a win vs B1G west champ this year. Had UNC game canceled. Would MN or anyone in the B1G schedule them? Can’t complain about 12-0 if you are unwilling to play games. I’m not going to fault UCF when P5 is afraid to schedule tough games. FL, FL St, Miami, where are you?

Put them in, it would be good for the smugness of college football. Watch them get games after getting into the playoff.

Last edited:

So the ACC coastal champ by 30 isn’t anything? Is the same as a win vs B1G west champ this year. Had UNC game canceled. Would MN or anyone in the B1G schedule them? Can’t complain about 12-0 if you are unwilling to play games. I’m not going to fault UCF when P5 is afraid to schedule tough games. FL, FL St, Miami, where are you?

Put them in, it would be good for the smugness of college football. Watch them get games after getting into the playoff.

It is the same as Northwestern. And if Northwestern was your signature win on the season, I wouldn't think you deserved the playoffs either. North Carolina was awful, so beating them wouldn't have proved anything. UCF is stuck in a below average conference and they didn't play a killer non-conference schedule. I'd pick them over any 2 loss P5 team, but they just haven't faced the same teams everyone else has. They will be left out...

I'm in UCF's corner because the team is doing everything asked of them. If they manage to go undefeated again, and not get accepted into the playoff, then I think either the playoff has to expand, or there has to be a consideration of maybe separating the Group of Five and Power Five. If teams can go undefeated and not even receive the opportunity to play for a national championship, then what's the point? In every other sport, whether it's soccer, baseball, basketball, hockey, if a team goes undefeated they get a chance to play for a title, if not win it.

I get that there's the strength of schedule argument, but if that's the case, then I go back to perhaps separating the P5 and G5. During the BCS era, we had Utah, TCU, Boise State all go undefeated and never get a chance. Now there's a playoff and teams still aren't getting a chance, and that will likely be the case because the strength of schedule argument will always be brought up considering what conferences these teams play in.

Ideally, I support the eight team playoff idea. The champions of the Power Five conferences, three at large teams, giving an opportunity for a G5 school to sneak in there. So last year it would have been Clemson, Ohio State, Oklahoma, USC, Georgia. Then add UCF, Alabama and Wisconsin.

Until the playoff is expanded, G5 schools will be left out unless they play a brutal non-conf schedule and win them all.

My biggest gripe in this sort of debate is that if given enough chances, any team can beat another. Back in the days of WCHA Gopher hockey, we beat NoDak in a hard fought 4 game season series, edged them for the conference title, beat them 3-2 in the conference playoffs, then met them in the NCAA’s and lost 3-2. Why did we have to play them again after proving our worth all season long plus the playoffs?

It should have been the best in the West vs the best of the other regions. That’s what I believe is needed in the college football playoffs. As I have posted earlier, it’ will come down to money, but UCF deserves recognition. Sure, if we had their schedule, we may have a similar record, but we should have beat Illinois, yet they destroyed us. It’s not about what could or should be, it’s about what happened. UCF hasn’t lost since 2016. They deserve a right to prove themselves.

Last edited:

My biggest gripe in this sort of debate is that if given enough chances, any team can beat another. Back in the days of WCHA Gopher hockey, we beat NoDak in a hard fought 4 game season series, edged them for the conference title, beat them 3-2 in the conference playoffs, then met them in the NCAA’s and lost 3-2. Why did we have to play them again after proving our worth all season long plus the playoffs?

It should have been the best in the West vs the best of the other regions. That’s what I believe is needed in the college football playoffs. As I have posted earlier, it’ will come down to money, but UCF deserves recognition. Sure, if we had their schedule, we may have a similar record, but we should have beat Illinois, yet they destroyed us. It’s not about what could or should be, it’s about what happened. UCF hasn’t lost since 2015. They deserve a right to prove themselves.

UCF lost many games in 2016.

Top Bottom