Fleck Numbers - Large Margin of Victory

Dano564

Fleck Superfan
Reaction score
Dating back to 1987, the Gophers have had 11 games where their margin of victory over a power 5 conference team was 30 points or more.

Of those 11, Fleck has had 3.
Glen Mason had 6.

Large margins of victory aren't as fun for fans so it hurts attendance. /s

Dating back to 1987, the Gophers have had 11 games where their margin of victory over a power 5 conference team was 30 points or more.

Glen Mason had 6.

To be fair you also have to look at the other side of the coin. In terms of loses by 30 points or more to Power 5 teams Fleck has 2 of those. Looked back at the Kill/Claeys years and came up with 2 wins of over 30 and 1 loss of over 30 to power 5 teams from 2011-2016. Have not checked Brewster/Horton or Mason.

Last edited:

On the flip side, dating back to 1987, the Gophers have lost to a P5 opponent by 30 points or more 29 times.

By coach:

Fleck: 2 out of 22 games (.091)
Claeys: 0 out of 16 games (.000)
Kill: 1 out of 49 games (.020)
Horton: 1 out of 5 games (.200)
Brewster: 2 out of 45 games (.044)
Mason: 8 out of 121 games (.066)
Wacker: 10 out of 55 games (.182)
Gutekunst: 7 out of 55 games (.127)

Last edited:

To be fair you also have to look at the other side of the coin. In terms of loses by 30 points or more to Power 5 teams Fleck has 3 of those as well. Looked back at the Kill/Claeys years and came up with 2 wins of over 30 and 1 loss of over 30 to power 5 teams from 2011-2016. Have not checked Brewster/Horton or Mason.

Fleck has two losses by 30+. Last year vs Northwestern and vs Wisconsin. This year they've lost by 29 (to Maryland), 25 (to Nebraska), and 24 (to Illinois).

This got me thinking. Sadly, I wished I wouldn't have started b/c I looked it up and compiled the data. Doing so, reminded me of how horrendous this program has been. The past 15ish years haven't been so bad; thus, I had forgotten how bad we've been....it's not just 50+ years of no Rose Bowl.

Anyway, I compiled how many times we've lost by 30 points or more in any game since '87.

Gutey: 7 times (5 years)
Wacker: 10 times (5 years)
Mason: 9 times (10 years)
Brew/Horton: 3 times (4 years)
Kill/Claeys: 1 time (6 years; it was in the first year)
Fleck: 2 times (both in first year)

We lost at least one game by 30 points of more 13 straight years (from 87-98). Also, in 32 years (since 1987) we've lost a total of 32 games by at least 30 points compared to winning only 11 by the same margin. (I should've counted the non-conf., but I don't want to go back and look it up.) Can we attribute that to Minnesota Nice?

These losses aren't always to P5 schools. San Diego State 48-17 ('93) and Toledo 38-7 ('01).

We only have 9 years out of 32 where we haven't lost a game by at least 30 points.
Mason: 3 times ('99, '00, '03) . side note had 2 the year he was let go 48-12 to WI and 44-0 tOSU
Brew: 1 time ('07) his first year
Kill/Claeys: 5 times ('12-'16) every year but 1st year

If we can finish out the last two games this year, we'll have our 10th year. (Weird, considering how siv like our D has been this year.)

P5 30 point differential record: 11-30 :cry:

edit: qualifer for the not counting 30+ margin for non-conf. victories. I used the OP's number. (underlined)

Last edited:

Right now, with the early data, Fleck has wide margins on wins.

Flecks average margin of victory is:
22.1 overall
21.8 vs non-power 5
22.4 vs power 5.

Last edited:

Glen Mason had 6.
This may go down as the most irrelevant thread of the year. Of course there's still time until New Year's...so cross your fingers...

This may go down as the most irrelevant thread of the year. Of course there's still time until New Year's...so cross your fingers...

Ummm you do recall the one recently blowing the lid off of Rossi's fabricated bio right? Not sure any thread will be able to compete with that one in terms of being irrelevant.

<b>To be fair </b>you also have to look at the other side of the coin. In terms of loses by 30 points or more to Power 5 teams Fleck has 2 of those. Looked back at the Kill/Claeys years and came up with 2 wins of over 30 and 1 loss of over 30 to power 5 teams from 2011-2016. Have not checked Brewster/Horton or Mason.

Pretty sure that wasn’t the intent of the OP/thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There's been a LOT of competition leading into this one as well. I think we need a poll...

It's highly irrelevant.
Just found it slightly interesting.

Correct.

The point of this thread was simply to point out a high frequency of high margin victories in the small number of games Fleck has coached compared to the past.

Blowout losses wasn't something I was going to go into because it once those start occurring, changes happen which make the previous data more irrelevant. HC change or DC change for example.

Last edited:

This response went right over OP's head...

No. I got the response.

"To be fair".

I'm not trying to "be fair" evaluating all the different angles. I clearly admit that.

Ummm you do recall the one recently blowing the lid off of Rossi's fabricated bio right? Not sure any thread will be able to compete with that one in terms of being irrelevant.

I found that relevant inasmuch it confirms some previously held prejudices. There is a correlation to be found between PJ supporters and not really caring about you know, accuracy. Personally I don’t like being fed what I perceive as inaccurate BS but I know that isn’t a universal trait. Looks like the bio still hasn’t been updated.

I found that relevant inasmuch it confirms some previously held prejudices. There is a correlation to be found between PJ supporters and not really caring about you know, accuracy. Personally I don’t like being fed what I perceive as inaccurate BS but I know that isn’t a universal trait. Looks like the bio still hasn’t been updated.

Not going to look back in the thread but as I recall it was proven that the bio basically matched the one used at his previous stops so the accuracy of it has nothing to do with Fleck.

Caring or not caring about the info in the bio also doesn't have a relation to whether or not you support Fleck. I would have had the same attitude about it if this "bombshell" had been discovered about one of Kill's assistants.

I think his intent was to state a fact that can’t be disputed. The fact that it showed PJ in a positive way was sure to mean you would have a problem with that.

I think his intent was to state a fact that can’t be disputed. The fact that it showed PJ in a positive way was sure to mean you would have a problem with that.

Love it. So if I post an irrelevant (OP has stated such) and/or obscure stat (that can’t be disputed) which shows PJ in a negative way - you won’t question my intent and will defend me to anyone who does?

Love it. So if I post an irrelevant (OP has stated such) and/or obscure stat (that can’t be disputed) which shows PJ in a negative way - you won’t question my intent and will defend me to anyone who does?

During the last 22 games, the Gophers have had the fastest quarter transitions since 1892. The team switches ends and is ready to go faster than ever before.

They are also holing up a closed fist after 3rd down plays more often in the past 22 games than any other teams, not only in the internet era but in Gopher history.

During the last 22 games, the Gophers have had the fastest quarter transitions since 1892. The team switches ends and is ready to go faster than ever before.

They are also holing up a closed fist after 3rd down plays more often in the past 22 games than any other teams, not only in the internet era but in Gopher history.

I don't think either of these are negatives, try again.

He said irrelevant and negative...

Highest percentage of P5 games lost by 30+ points of any Gopher coach who has coached at least 6-games since Wacker.

BTW - my intent is just to share a fact I find interesting that can’t be debated. Nothing more.

Highest percentage of P5 games lost by 30+ points of any Gopher coach who has coached at least 6-games since Wacker.

BTW - my intent is just to share a fact I find interesting that can’t be debated. Nothing more.

Well, mine was positive.
You are looking for negative.

A better analogy would be if you found a positive fact about another Gopher head coach that was showing something positive.

Just don't do the 9-4 thing with the win over Washington State. We already talked about that one last week, and the week before, and the week before...

Well, mine was positive.
You are looking for negative.

A better analogy would be if you found a positive fact about another Gopher head coach that was showing something positive.

Just don't do the 9-4 thing with the win over Washington State. We already talked about that one last week, and the week before, and the week before...

9*

Not going to look back in the thread but as I recall it was proven that the bio basically matched the one used at his previous stops so the accuracy of it has nothing to do with Fleck.

Caring or not caring about the info in the bio also doesn't have a relation to whether or not you support Fleck. I would have had the same attitude about it if this "bombshell" had been discovered about one of Kill's assistants.

You don’t care that a coach’s bio is made up? It isn’t life and death but it looks bad.

Top Bottom