U: The press box at TCF Bank Stadium will now be called the Sid Hartman Press Box

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per the U:

The University of Minnesota will dedicate and name the TCF Bank Stadium press box for Sid Hartman on November 17. A legendary Twin Cities sports media personality often known simply as "Sid" throughout Minnesota, Hartman has spent much of his life offering insight and opinions about every Gopher player, coach and team to countless readers and listeners.

Hartman began covering the Gophers for the Minneapolis Times in 1944 and has covered the University for more than 70 years. His first article for the Minnesota Tribune was published on May 19, 1948. Appropriately, it detailed the Gophers' upcoming spring game at Memorial Stadium and the team's Hall of Fame coach, Bernie Bierman.

"This is a befitting honor for Sid Hartman," said University of Minnesota President Eric Kaler, who recently told Hartman of the recognition with Director of Athletics Mark Coyle. "Sid has passionately and fairly covered the Gophers his entire Hall of Fame career. Generations of Minnesotans have relied on him for dedicated coverage of the Maroon and Gold and it is an honor to name the press box at TCF Bank Stadium after him."

https://gophersports.com/news/2018/...honors-sid-hartman-with-press-box-naming.aspx

Go Gophers!!

per the U:

The University of Minnesota will dedicate and name the TCF Bank Stadium press box for Sid Hartman on November 17. A legendary Twin Cities sports media personality often known simply as "Sid" throughout Minnesota, Hartman has spent much of his life offering insight and opinions about every Gopher player, coach and team to countless readers and listeners.

Hartman began covering the Gophers for the Minneapolis Times in 1944 and has covered the University for more than 70 years. His first article for the Minnesota Tribune was published on May 19, 1948. Appropriately, it detailed the Gophers' upcoming spring game at Memorial Stadium and the team's Hall of Fame coach, Bernie Bierman.

"This is a befitting honor for Sid Hartman," said University of Minnesota President Eric Kaler, who recently told Hartman of the recognition with Director of Athletics Mark Coyle. "Sid has passionately and fairly covered the Gophers his entire Hall of Fame career. Generations of Minnesotans have relied on him for dedicated coverage of the Maroon and Gold and it is an honor to name the press box at TCF Bank Stadium after him."

https://gophersports.com/news/2018/...honors-sid-hartman-with-press-box-naming.aspx

Go Gophers!!

Congratulations to Sid! Great move by the University of Minnesota!

"Sid has passionately and fairly covered the Gophers his entire Hall of Fame career."

OK, Mr Kaler - care to list some of the media members who have not covered the Gophers 'fairly?'

Because, if you say someone has done something fairly, it at least implies that others have not done it fairly. I'm probably reading too much into it, but I just find it an interesting choice of words.

"Sid has passionately and fairly covered the Gophers his entire Hall of Fame career."

OK, Mr Kaler - care to list some of the media members who have not covered the Gophers 'fairly?'

Because, if you say someone has done something fairly, it at least implies that others have not done it fairly. I'm probably reading too much into it, but I just find it an interesting choice of words.

I think he's right... but calling anyone out is not going to help.

Fitting tribute. Glad it happened while Sid is alive to see it.

JTG

per the U:

Go Gophers!!

It just dawned on me that the stadium should be full. I'm sure all of the "close personal" friends of Sid will pack the house.

Fitting tribute. Glad it happened while Sid is alive to see it.

JTG

Beat me to it. Really glad they did this now as opposed to waiting until after his death. Fitting tribute to someone who has devoted such a big portion of his life to the local sports scene and has been one of the bigger supporters of the U during that time.

He drives us all nuts at times but there is no denying the guy is a legend.

Seriously? The president of the University of Minnesota is supposed to call out reporters and media people by name? Have no idea if "fairly" was put in with specific people in mind or if it was simply an adjective that any reporter would consider a compliment. Suspect it's the latter, but the nitpicking and readiness to pounce by those still lamenting the previous coach is sort of amazing at times.

Congrats Sid. You do have much more class than Barrieo, Souhan and Reusse. These three clowns are like a plaque of disease.

Sid was part of the dome cabal. thanks for nothin.

Yes, Sid was one of the ringleaders of that late '70s dome cabal that was all about Max Winter and the Vikings. Their efforts ruined baseball and Gopher Football.

That deal the Gophers got with the Metrodome was bad for the Twins and even worse for the Gophers, who did not get their fair share of the revenue, ever.

Not to be forgotten, he did his best to torpedo the Gopher on campus stadium effort in the mid 2000s, and sided with the Vikings once again. He kept talking about a "shared" stadium on campus, which neither the Vikings nor the Gophers had any interest in.

After idea number one went down he started talking about some "shared" fairgrounds stadium and he kept talking about that for years, even after the ground was excavated and the steel was rising for TCF. Once again the no one liked that idea much except Sid, who could not grasp the power that the mysterious and powerful State Fair Board has and the reality that they had zero interest in hosting that facility.

Sid probably does love Gopher Football, but that went away in the 60s to some extent when he sold out to Max Winter and Vikings. It might be a stretch to say Sid is responsible for ruining Gopher Football post 1961 as much as anyone, but not much of one.

http://www.forums.gopherhole.com/boards/forumdisplay.php?2-7-National-Titles-Football-Forum

Last edited:

I don't know if any media covers the U "unfairly".

I'll say there are many who are lazy in covering the Gophers who resort to lazy attacks based on 40-50 years of history rather than any relevant reporting, and at least one who just makes a hobby out of trying to troll whoever the coach happens to be.

Yes, Sid was one of the ringleaders of that late '70s dome cabal that was all about Max Winter and the Vikings. Their efforts ruined baseball...

Yup, ruined it right into two World Series Championships. Yes, I know that pales to the success the Twins have had since.

My favorite Sid moment--

Mike Max: "Sid, what to you think of the whole Tara Lipinski situation?"

Sid: "I'm so sick of hearing about her and Clinton."

Yup, ruined it right into two World Series Championships. Yes, I know that pales to the success the Twins have had since.

My favorite Sid moment--

Mike Max: "Sid, what to you think of the whole Tara Lipinski situation?"

Sid: "I'm so sick of hearing about her and Clinton."

Beat me to it. Twins had their best seasons at the dome. Granted Puckett had a lot to do with it but still.

Favorite Sid moment for me:

Last edited:

I'm a Badger fan and I think this is cool.

Sid is a Legend throughout the Big Ten (well, maybe not Nebraska, Rutgers, or Maryland.)

How much did Sid have to pay to put his name on it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom