Sid Hartman: Small town success

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Sid:

Small town success

Marshall, Minn., is a town of 13,600. Gophers redshirt freshman tackle Blaise Andries is one of five players from his high school team currently playing college football.

A high school teammate of Andries, Drew Hmielewski, had a scholarship to play football for the Gophers but decided to concentrate on baseball at the university.

Before Andries came to campus, he knew the Gophers had only four healthy offensive lineman for a big spring practice. But now that position group is one of the best on the team.

“I remember I came and watched a practice and it was funny, they always tell me, ‘You should have been there for that practice.’ They ran something like 120 plays with four or five offensive linemen. It’s kind of funny to see how we’ve progressed and grown together over time.

“Now we have an awesome offensive line led by Jared Weyler and Donnell Greene, our seniors. Conner Olson is basically one of the older guys now, a redshirt sophomore. Me and Daniel [Faalele] are freshman. We also have Sam [Schlueter] there. It’s amazing how well we have grown together.”

The temperature for Saturday’s game against Northwestern is expected to be about 28 degrees, slightly warmer than it was last Saturday against Purdue. Andries said he really loves playing outdoors in those games.

“I’m from Minnesota and I’m used to the cold,” he said. “I was pretty excited to get back out in the cold. I know some of our guys, like some of the southern boys like Donnelle and Daniel, weren’t having a lot of fun with the cold, but you know, they got used to it pretty quickly. We all played together and it was a ton of fun, to be honest, especially with the snow.”

The Gophers received one big benefit from when the Vikings played at TCF Bank Stadium for two seasons in 2014 and 2015 while U.S. Bank Stadium was being built: The Vikings had heating coils installed underneath the turf to keep it warm on cold game days like this Saturday.

http://www.startribune.com/vikings-salary-cap-helped-by-late-picks/500647081/

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom