Tribune: Pitino would go 0 for MN again if no Hurt

I would take a healthy Eric Curry over Ruevers every time. Not even close

Reuvers will be a productive player for Wisco, I have no doubt about it.

We dodged a bullet on Reuvers. He flipping sucks!

It's a little early to declare the guy a bust. He's only a sophomore and would have red-shirted last year if Wisconsin hadn't had injury problems, I think.

So this article made me simultaneously angry at Marcus Fuller and Richard Pitino. I am angry with Fuller, because I feel like Gopher basketball deserves more from it's beat writer from the biggest paper in the state. This article is completely misleading as the Gophers didn't "miss" on a number of these guys. There are so many kids listed that never had an opportunity to commit to the Gophers. Coach Pitino has plenty of misses in-state, but to list all these guys like all "offers" are actually offers doesn't help his reader. Pitino missed on Jericho Sims. He will miss on Zeke Nnaji. He didn't miss on Brad Davison or Tyrell Terry. As the beat writer, Marcus should know this and provide some context to what he writes. In-state recruiting is a concern, but it would be so much more beneficial to approach it from 1 of 2 ways: 1. Why did Richard Pitino fail to land players he viewed as a priority? or 2. Why did Richard Pitino not make players X, Y, and Z a priority who have gone on to have success at schools X, Y, and Z? This could lead to conversations about recruiting style, playing time, style of play, location, facilities, winning/lack of winning, confidence in player development, etc, etc.

Now my anger at Pitino is because some of this is his doing. It's factually correct that he offered Brad Davison, but everyone including Pitino knew he was going to Wisconsin when he made that offer. There are several players that follow a very similar path, but I am using Davison because I could find the exact dates. The Gophers offered him on July 7, 2016 and he would commit to Wisconsin on July 11, 2016. At some point in his tenure, Pitino decided he needed to offer Minnesota kids even if he didn't really want them. This results in all but the hardest of hardcore fans commenting on social media "Gophers lost another kid to the Badgers" . I really don't understand how it benefits Pitino/The Gopher brand to do this, but the only thing I can think of is that maybe it's important in maintaining Howard Pulley/D1Minnesota relationships?

We need Minnesota kids to be the back bone of our program that 2020 class pitino has to land 2 of the 5 at least. People wonder why wisconsin football and basketball have been more successful recently it’s because they land a lot more of their top instate kids as well as poach some of ours that has to stop. We need a group of Minnesota kids to have pride in representing this state on the hardwood. Iv noticed over the years the kids in the twin cities area are much tougher to land then the out state kids, those kids seem to have a lot more pride in the home school

It's a little early to declare the guy a bust. He's only a sophomore and would have red-shirted last year if Wisconsin hadn't had injury problems, I think.

Totally agree. He's quite athletic and can shoot pretty well. As he continues to get stronger he'll be a very solid player, IMO. Although it bugs the crap out of me to say that. I know people who went to high school with him and he apparently thinks his ---- don't stink. I've heard the complete opposite of Tre from people who went to AV with him.

Totally agree. He's quite athletic and can shoot pretty well. As he continues to get stronger he'll be a very solid player, IMO. Although it bugs the crap out of me to say that. I know people who went to high school with him and he apparently thinks his ---- don't stink. I've heard the complete opposite of Tre from people who went to AV with him.

Gonzaga is ranked third in b-ball? How did they survive us stealing monson from them?

We need Minnesota kids to be the back bone of our program that 2020 class pitino has to land 2 of the 5 at least. People wonder why wisconsin football and basketball have been more successful recently it’s because they land a lot more of their top instate kids as well as poach some of ours that has to stop. We need a group of Minnesota kids to have pride in representing this state on the hardwood. Iv noticed over the years the kids in the twin cities area are much tougher to land then the out state kids, those kids seem to have a lot more pride in the home school

For basketball, the Gophers signed more MN kids last year than WI signed WI kids from 2014-2018 combined. They don’t have a WI kid committed in 2019 either.

When’s the last time a MN kid had a good career at WI? Davison looks legit so far. After that you probably have to go back to 2008 with Taylor and Berggren.

Last edited:

Nearly half the roster is from Minn..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom