Dan Barreiro ‏mocks Fleck/Gophers in tweet about Brohm going to Louisville

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Do you think the radio home to our Big Ten brethren go out of their way to take needless shots at the home team?

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

I think there's more negativity from local media directed at the U sure.

At the same time there's also the driver that being a sports media figure means being a troll.... so that plays into it too.

Trying to be smart about what you say is hard, because learning and observing is hard, tossing out insults, easy.

Sports Media, the internet, Reality TV, POTUS, poor behavior pays and it is easy to do.

Last edited:

Do you think the radio home to our Big Ten brethren go out of their way to take needless shots at the home team?

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Gopher shot aside, for someone that was a professional writer for as long as Barreiro was that Tweet is pathetic. Guess he had some really good editors at the Trib all those years.

Don't you get it? In HS, you see all the "bad @ss" dudes getting all the girls. In a very tight media market, apparently being nasty to the Gophers is vogue for getting attention to their otherwise non-descript garbage media.

Burrito is from Chicago. He's just getting a jab in before the Goph's crush his beloved Wildcats.

What surprises me about Barreiro is in his show, he always tries to take the more enlightened role. The educated contrarian that goes against popular wisdom.
In this market, ripping on the Gophers has been popular and is by far too easy for anyone who wants to take easy shots at 40-50 years of issues, or to pile on the optimistic traits of PJ Fleck.
I would think Dan B would be the type to say "That's too easy to just pile on. At least do some research before you take easy shots at the Gophers" but evidently this is one area where he just wants to pile on with other Gopher haters.

As a couple have mentioned in this thread, he's just trying to drum-up hits for his Twitter account.

Most Gopher fans don't bother showing-up at TCF and only a small percentage of them buy Season Tickets.

But Lord do they show-up online too complain about negative treatment of "their" Gophers.

Cut him some slack. He can't think straight since he's so fit.

Dan talked Brohm up all week heading into the gopher game.

Typical dumbass Dan!

A lot of Gopher fans are excessively soft when it comes to the media. Lighten up a bit.

A lot of Gopher fans are excessively soft when it comes to the media. Lighten up a bit.

Agreed. PJ has earned any pot shot thrown his way. Danny B better watch out for Heather though.

I think JG is having fun playing up the Gophers beat down on Barrero’s favorite coach losing.
Hopefully with more winning this stuff just fades away. It’s pretty dumb.

soft or bored?

Barreiro is the same thing every time as are all the others! I hope he tells us the gophers suck next time, because I'd have never had a clue without that great nugget from Dan!

I am admittedly a Barreiro fan but this is pretty lame. I get poking fun and playing the role to really rile up the fans but this is just stupid. Like Face The Facts said I think he would be able to have an enlightened take on the gophs once in awhile.

What surprises me about Barreiro is in his show, he always tries to take the more enlightened role. The educated contrarian that goes against popular wisdom.

He tries. And fails. Miserably.

He can be competent when dealing with sports. But the facade is paper thin whenever he strays into areas that require broader and deeper knowledge. It's especially comical when he ventures into politics, economics or social issues.

Sticks to sports, Dan. And work a little harder.

JTG

It seems like Dan has taken over the role of local sports twitter troll from Reusse.

Eh, I don't pay any attention to that Doosh Bag or his writing or little radio program.

He is not even worthy of me properly spelling ******.

I heard Barriero with Mason yesterday. He and Mason made a $50 bet.
Mason said Gophers win the last two games. Barreiro said Gophers lose the last two games. No payout if there's a split.
Barreiro did go on to say he thinks the Gophers could very well win one of two.
The guy has his schtick, like the others. I take it with a grain of salt.

Dan B's whole shtick this season has been playing up Brohm as the miracle-worker, and Purdue as "his" team. Going into the Gopher game, he was laying it on thick about what a great coach Brohm was. And then the Gophers beat Purdue soundly. So, Barreiro comes back with the tweet as a back-handed compliment to Fleck for beating 'super-coach' last week. I suspect Barreiro still thinks Brohm is a better coach, but the tweet was his way of admitting that Fleck won the match-up this season.

This still gets back to a basic contradiction. Fleck himself says "I'm not for everyone," but when fans or media members take shots at Fleck, his defenders get all bent out of shape over the idea that anyone could criticize their hero. Hey, Fleck is the one who admits that some people just aren't going to like him. Why can't his supporters grasp that same concept.

Burrito is from Chicago. He's just getting a jab in before the Goph's crush his beloved Wildcats.

Dumb. It's pretty clear that you don't listen and don't know anything about him. He's not really a fan of any college team, but to the extent that he is, he's a fan of his alma mater, Indiana.

He tries. And fails. Miserably.

He can be competent when dealing with sports. But the facade is paper thin whenever he strays into areas that require broader and deeper knowledge. It's especially comical when he ventures into politics, economics or social issues.

Sticks to sports, Dan. And work a little harder.

JTG

no, stick to politics. He knows nothing about sports.

Dumb. It's pretty clear that you don't listen and don't know anything about him. He's not really a fan of any college team, but to the extent that he is, he's a fan of his alma mater, Indiana.

He went to college?

Dan B's whole shtick this season has been playing up Brohm as the miracle-worker, and Purdue as "his" team. Going into the Gopher game, he was laying it on thick about what a great coach Brohm was. And then the Gophers beat Purdue soundly. So, Barreiro comes back with the tweet as a back-handed compliment to Fleck for beating 'super-coach' last week. I suspect Barreiro still thinks Brohm is a better coach, but the tweet was his way of admitting that Fleck won the match-up this season.

This still gets back to a basic contradiction. Fleck himself says "I'm not for everyone," but when fans or media members take shots at Fleck, his defenders get all bent out of shape over the idea that anyone could criticize their hero. Hey, Fleck is the one who admits that some people just aren't going to like him. Why can't his supporters grasp that same concept.

I am a Fleck backer, but he is not my hero! Don’t go overstating or backhandedly ridiculing the people who support him. I get it that Dan is doing a bit, but the repeated bashing is getting old and is just a symbolism of his laziness. There are dozens of story lines he could discuss about the team, but that would require him to get off his arse and do some work. The only thing that is interesting about Dan’s show is the contribution from the guests like Mason or Nanne, etc... he himself actually doesn’t contribute anything of value to the show! They could pick almost anyone up off of the street that would certainly do a better job of asking the guests questions. Dan takes 5 minutes to ask even the most simple questions, and at least 4 minutes of that is talking himself up about how much he knows about the subject.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The only thing that is interesting about Dan’s show is the contribution from the guests like Mason or Nanne, etc... he himself actually doesn’t contribute anything of value to the show! They could pick almost anyone up off of the street that would certainly do a better job of asking the guests questions. Dan takes 5 minutes to ask even the most simple questions, and at least 4 minutes of that is talking himself up about how much he knows about the subject.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nailed it.

JTG

So he's not from Chicago?

Top Bottom