Pioneer Press: This time, Gophers bring offense into last two Big Ten games

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Greder:

To say Minnesota’s offense was plodding in the last two games of the 2017 season would be putting it politely. In losses to Northwestern and Wisconsin, the Gophers were scoreless while averaging 157 yards of total offense.

This year, Minnesota’s offense is surging into those same matchups, starting against West Division champion Northwestern at 11 a.m. Saturday at TCF Bank Stadium.

In their previous four games, the Gophers (5-5, 2-5 Big Ten) have averaged 33 points and 452 total yards. While some of those numbers are inflated because they lost big to Nebraska and Illinois, it’s Minnesota’s longest run of 400-plus yards of total offense since 2005-06.

The Gophers’ improving passing game should pose a threat to the Wildcats’ secondary. While Northwestern (6-4, 6-1) has allowed the second-fewest passing touchdowns (five) in Big Ten play, they will be without their starting cornerbacks and a starting safety against Minnesota.

Last year, the Gophers lost receiver Tyler Johnson to a broken hand before the final two games and had no viable alternatives. This year, Minnesota complements Johnson — healthy and more productive in his junior season — with promising freshmen Rashod Bateman, Chris Autman-Bell and Demetrius Douglas.

“I think we have a lot more play-makers than we did last year, and I think the play-makers we had last year are better,” Gophers head coach P.J. Fleck said.

http://www.dglobe.com/sports/football/4529268-time-gophers-bring-offense-last-two-big-ten-games

Go Gophers!!

BleedGopher is the man. I don't even need to search for articles on the teams. He just has it here for me.

per Greder:

To say Minnesota’s offense was plodding in the last two games of the 2017 season would be putting it politely. In losses to Northwestern and Wisconsin, the Gophers were scoreless while averaging 157 yards of total offense.

This year, Minnesota’s offense is surging into those same matchups, starting against West Division champion Northwestern at 11 a.m. Saturday at TCF Bank Stadium.

In their previous four games, the Gophers (5-5, 2-5 Big Ten) have averaged 33 points and 452 total yards. While some of those numbers are inflated because they lost big to Nebraska and Illinois, it’s Minnesota’s longest run of 400-plus yards of total offense since 2005-06.

The Gophers’ improving passing game should pose a threat to the Wildcats’ secondary. While Northwestern (6-4, 6-1) has allowed the second-fewest passing touchdowns (five) in Big Ten play, they will be without their starting cornerbacks and a starting safety against Minnesota.

Last year, the Gophers lost receiver Tyler Johnson to a broken hand before the final two games and had no viable alternatives. This year, Minnesota complements Johnson — healthy and more productive in his junior season — with promising freshmen Rashod Bateman, Chris Autman-Bell and Demetrius Douglas.

“I think we have a lot more play-makers than we did last year, and I think the play-makers we had last year are better,” Gophers head coach P.J. Fleck said.

http://www.dglobe.com/sports/football/4529268-time-gophers-bring-offense-last-two-big-ten-games

Go Gophers!!

I would agree with that and I think the upgrade at WR and QB is definitely noticeable. Ibrahim has been a pleasant surprise, but you have to admit if we can get RB's Brooks and/or Smith back next year that will be some serious additional firepower for the team. I also think the offensive line will be better as you get 4 of the 5 back and all will have experience and much more depth, too. If you look at the future, our offense is definitely on the upswing!

BleedGopher is the man. I don't even need to search for articles on the teams. He just has it here for me.

Yeah, I really appreciate it when these excerpts are posted here. Thanks to Bleed and others who do the same.

JTG

I would agree with that and I think the upgrade at WR and QB is definitely noticeable. Ibrahim has been a pleasant surprise, but you have to admit if we can get RB's Brooks and/or Smith back next year that will be some serious additional firepower for the team. I also think the offensive line will be better as you get 4 of the 5 back and all will have experience and much more depth, too. If you look at the future, our offense is definitely on the upswing!

We actually only get 3 of them back - Greene and Weyler are both seniors. I still feel good about the OL next year though. The 3 returnees are all underclassmen and all have been playing well. My best guess is next year Dickson takes over at LT and Olson slides over to C to make way for Dunlap at LG. We should have some depth there too.

It really is incredible to be having as much success as we've had on offense when 7 of our 11 starters are freshmen. We're making our fair share of mistakes, yet we're still moving the ball consistently. As these guys gain more experience, they'll clean up a lot of the mistakes and we'll only get better. We've got a ton of young talent, paired with terrific coaching on that side of the ball as well. I feel as good about the future of our offense as I ever have.

Top Bottom