Staying Warm during games

DuckSauce

Reaction score
Another chilly game coming up. Anyone have any glove or socks recommendations? I ended up having to get a 3rd pair of socks from the team store at halftime because my toes were FREEZING.

1. Good boots with LOTS OF ROOM inside the toe area. A tight squeeze in the toes in a boot and you're going to be cold.

2. One pair of BIG FLUFFY SOCKS. The key is to have some space for air in there inside that sock so you have some insulation. People who wear too many socks get it all packed in there and ... no air = cold.

3. Hand or foot warmers tossed into your boot. Bring extra to replace them as needed.

1. Good boots with LOTS OF ROOM inside the toe area. A tight squeeze in the toes in a boot and you're going to be cold.

2. One pair of BIG FLUFFY SOCKS. The key is to have some space for air in there inside that sock so you have some insulation. People who wear too many socks get it all packed in there and ... no air = cold.

3. Hand or foot warmers tossed into your boot. Bring extra to replace them as needed.

Agreed, it's all about the right boots. A good pair is easily worth the investment. I also use a product called Warm Skin on my face for cold games. It takes the bite out of any wind.

I second the big warm boot and 1 pair of quality wool socks. Get the toe warmers too if you think you need them but wait until you get to th egame to put them in your boots. Sweating is the main reason most people who dress warm get cold. Plan in layers so you can carry some of the layers to the game with you and you aren't sweating while you walk into the stadium.

Also blankets are a great way to keep you warm, if you wrap your legs in a blanket so you aren't sitting on the cold seat and your legs stay warmer your toes will stay warmer.

Finally drink more beer, if you can't feel the cold are you really cold? ;)

One other piece of advice, not sure if you can get away with it at TCF (haven't tried myself), but if you can get a piece of cardboard in to put between your feet and the concrete while standing/sitting in your seats, it will help a lot.

Agreed, it's all about the right boots. A good pair is easily worth the investment. I also use a product called Warm Skin on my face for cold games. It takes the bite out of any wind.

Absolutely. I wore a pair of waterproof winter boots with 450g insulation in the toes and 300g in the rest of the boot and my feet were warm the whole game. I only had one thick pair of wool socks on and did not use warmers. I wear a pair of insulated choppers with extra inserts on my hands. The rest of me is layered at least three layers deep. I don't wear the parka while I am walking into the stadium because I get too hot but once I am standing there it is just fine. I hate being cold.

drink heavily, paint your face and go shirtless in the 4th quarter - you'll be fine

One other piece of advice, not sure if you can get away with it at TCF (haven't tried myself), but if you can get a piece of cardboard in to put between your feet and the concrete while standing/sitting in your seats, it will help a lot.

The Billd's tried this and at least for us it proved very slick, slippery so it was nixed before we took the opportunity to fall out of the upper deck.

HOWEVER...the cardboard was great as a mini-shovel for the snow remaining under our seats. We were completely clear on that front. We'll bring a couple of pieces in our bag any time new or leftover accumulated snow could be an issue.

You can go to Mills Fleet Farm, Dick's sporting good or I'm sure Amazon and get some battery powered socks. Turn em on and they'll heat you right up. I think they just take a 9V battery. Should last hours.

I'm just echoing what many others have said, but the bottom line is the best socks in the world won't help if you shoes/boots are not decent or too small.

Also, I've read that keeping your core warm is the major thing to focus on. If your body thinks your internal organs are in danger of getting cold, it will stop sending blood to the extremities to protect the core. Hence cold fingers and toes. My standard layering up top is performance fabric tee, thicker fabric turtleneck, polar fleece sweatshirt/hoodie and a wool jacket. I was toasty warm last weekend.

We'd often pick up a stack of Minnesota Dailys on our walk to the stadium for this very purpose. And some light pregame reading.

Lot of good advice here. Warm boots, wool socks, good gloves, blanket, hand warmers, foot warmers etc.

We always use foot warmers. The ones that stick to the bottom of the sock. Rookies should note the "sock" part. Do NOT put them directly on the foot. They will burn you. We attach them to the bottom of our socks at least an hour before gametime. They are always still warm when we take them off after the game.

One addition would be to wear a balaclava or ski mask. We got ours at Gander Mountain, so it's been a few years now. Has kept both the head and face warm throughout the game.

Dress like you're going ice fishing...but in this case leave the blackberry brandy behind.

Lots of good info. Thanks everyone. I completely forgot about Mills Fleet Farm. I'll have to stop there to pick up some warmers and better socks.

Lots of good info. Thanks everyone. I completely forgot about Mills Fleet Farm. I'll have to stop there to pick up some warmers and better socks.

Costco has boxes of hand warmers and foot warmers this time of year too.

Just a note that when picking up hand-toe warmers make sure the actual packet is flexible...not stiff. These things do get old that reduces effectiveness. If it's hard don't buy it.

Always best to pull from a brand new box full of warmers than the last few in an almost empty container.

Just a note that when picking up hand-toe warmers make sure the actual packet is flexible...not stiff. These things do get old that reduces effectiveness. If it's hard don't buy it.

Always best to pull from a brand new box full of warmers than the last few in an almost empty container.

Yeah that's why I like to get mine from Costco, they just have them seasonally and sell them out each year, so they're always fresh.

Yeah the old stiff ones are WAY LESS WARM. Fresh ones are downright hot.

Upgrade and bring a small piece of styrofoam. Works much better.

Get up and walk the concourse for maybe 5 minutes when you feel your toes getting numb. I just throw the hand warmers in my pockets and then take my gloves off every now and then and hold the warmers in my bare hands in my pockets. Works quickly to warm them up.

Another chilly game coming up. Anyone have any glove or socks recommendations? I ended up having to get a 3rd pair of socks from the team store at halftime because my toes were FREEZING.

A lot of good suggestions here. Another thing that works for me is to take a hand warmer or body warmer and put it behind my neck, under you clothing.. This helps with keeping your "core" warm. At least it does for me.

drink heavily, paint your face and go shirtless in the 4th quarter - you'll be fine

I did the first two last week, but I had so many layers on that I couldn't get to the shirtless stage.

A lot of good suggestions here. Another thing that works for me is to take a hand warmer or body warmer and put it behind my neck, under you clothing.. This helps with keeping your "core" warm. At least it does for me.

I usually put a few hand warmers in my pants. It's like a fire down there.

maxresdefault.jpg

This. I've seen people with super nice boots freezing their toes off because they tied them too tight. Gotta let the blood circulate down there.

I have my girlfriend sit on my lap. It helps!

Top Bottom