Interesting article on Dan Monson's contract and how heavily it relies on incentives

BleedGopher

Reaction score
I just stumbled upon this article which is a few months old, but Long Beach State previously had a contract that Coach Monson that essentially paid him a cut of the away game payouts and also a healthy base salary for a Big West team. After a couple of disappointing seasons and a new AD, Monson took a $75,000 pay cut but has the potential to earn more with a lot of incentives, a model that makes sense for programs like Long Beach State.

Per the Daily 49er:

After 11 years at Long Beach State, men’s basketball head coach Dan Monson signed a restructured five-year contract which prioritized incentives for winning and came with a $75,080 pay cut.

Under the current contract, Monson’s base salary was $358,640 this season. With Andy Fee looking ahead to the next campaign, the Long Beach State athletic director came to a conclusion to restructure Monson’s contract after several unfulfilling seasons.

On March 29, Fee announced that Monson signed a five-year extension after a 15-18 season which ended with an elimination by Cal State Fullerton in the Big West Tournament quarterfinals. Monson’s new contract will take effect July 1, and he will earn a base salary of $283,560 while also receiving $16,440 annually or $1,370 a month in supplemental base compensation through the CSULB Research Foundation.

Monson, 56, also receives bonuses based on home game attendance and the team’s performance in the regular and postseason. His contract notes that he can only take the highest award amount, which means his bonuses don’t accumulate. If Long Beach wins the NCAA National Championship, he would take home $250,000 under his restructured contract.

Due to cuts in base salary and his retention bonus, Monson’s new contract is more performance-based with higher payouts for conference and post-season wins.

Fee said that performance is being used to incentivise Monson, and he hopes this will give him a chance to compensate for his decrease in salary through bonuses that can be claimed after conference wins.

“We put incentives in place so if we’re winning and competitive, coach [Monson] will get back to where [he was] financially [with his] salary,” Fee said. “So there’s nothing better in my mind than to incentivise people, and this contract incentivises [Monson] to get back to where we were. He can do it and I believe it, we just have to put these things in place and with him in place, we’ll get there.”

Monson acknowledged that after two sub-par seasons in a row, he doesn’t want the Long Beach basketball community satisfied with fifth place in the Big West Conference.

“I think my salary should be based on performance in a lot of ways,” Monson said. “I think if you are not winning, you’re not generating any income for the school and they’re not winning. A good contract should be a win for everybody, so I was more than understanding and wanted to be that way. The worst thing you want is for you to be winning and not producing for your student-athletes or for the school.”

Screen-Shot-2018-04-15-at-8.30.07-PM-697x900.png

https://www.daily49er.com/sports/20...s-his-money-in-his-new-restructured-contract/

Go Gophers!!

Dan needs a new agent.

Dan needs a new agent.

No doubt. He got taken to the cleaners on that one.

Monson had been scheduling unbelievable non-conference foes one after the next over the past several years. It wan't unusual to see them play a half dozen top 20 teams. Big paychecks for the school? A quick look at his schedule this year shows that it is challenging but he has tamed it down quite a bit- perhaps in response to the contract situation. In that conference you win the title or you are done unless you have a really good non-conference record and get an NIT bid.

No doubt. He got taken to the cleaners on that one.

Monson had been scheduling unbelievable non-conference foes one after the next over the past several years. It wan't unusual to see them play a half dozen top 20 teams. Big paychecks for the school? A quick look at his schedule this year shows that it is challenging but he has tamed it down quite a bit- perhaps in response to the contract situation. In that conference you win the title or you are done unless you have a really good non-conference record and get an NIT bid.

Getting taken to the cleaners is better than being unemployed. Dan is still employed and making a minimum of $283 000. I could live with that.

He gets fired and he has to uproot everything in his late 50s to be an assistant somewhere.

Getting taken to the cleaners is better than being unemployed. Dan is still employed and making a minimum of $283 000. I could live with that.

He gets fired and he has to uproot everything in his late 50s to be an assistant somewhere.

283k in LA goes about as far as 150k here. Fortunately for him, Monson likely has a nice pile of cash left over from his days in Minny.

Odd that winning the NIt pays more then making the big dance...which brings in more money

Top Bottom