Pitino Blog: Reviewing Utah

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Pitino, love the DNP comment on Conroy:

Daniel Oturu - Offensively very gifted down low. 4 fouls is way too much. Went over the back too many times. He got better as the game went on. That's always encouraging. 4 blocked shots was good but still has to be smarter there.

Gabe Kalscheur - It's amazing how confident you are shooting the ball when you come in early and stay late every practice. Gabe is all business. Nobody in our program is surprised by his success. Has to play better defense without fouling. His daily habits are terrific.

Jarvis Omersa - Did a lot of little things well but can do a better job of stuffing the stat sheet. Had a really good ball screen and quick roll to the rim for a dunk. 1 on 1 defense and understanding of personnel in the scouting report has to get better. Love how hard he competes. Infectious personality!

Isaiah Washington - Looked like a freshman at times. Has to stop worrying about scoring on jump shots. He's at his best when he gets in the lane and makes plays for other. Happy with his attitude afterwards but his poor body language affected his play.

Brock Stull - I know it's hard when you don't play. Brock will get there. Just has to stay positive and keep working. He got here late. His time will come. Smart player! Has done a very good job of getting in shape. There is no doubt in my mind he will be a key player for us.

Hunt Conroy - DNP, assistant coaches decision.

https://gophersports.com/news/2018/11/13/mens-basketball-pitino-blog-reviewing-utah.aspx

Go Gophers!!

Very interesting evaluation. Interesting how he also evaluates himself and the asst. coaches.

I missed it too. That is great.

I'm really surprised Stull didn't see the floor at all though. Is he really that far behind?

Looked good to me in the first game, but we have a lot of depth at his position. Pitino seems to have high standards for what it means to be in shape too. Maybe he needs a little time still to reach those standards.

I'm really surprised Stull didn't see the floor at all though. Is he really that far behind?

Because he likely would have guarded Both Gach who likely would have blown by him. Stull is a good player but pretty slow feet and hes still trying to get in shape

Stull's biggest issue when it comes to playing time is the play of Gabe. I think the coaches seen it right away once they started practicing. They have something in Gabe. Stull was supposed to be getting Gabes minutes. But Gabe is just better.

and if we would have been lucky enough to get Carr eligible Stull probably would have never seen the floor moving forward. but I do see him getting 5-10 minutes a game if Dupree or Gabe are having off nights or are in foul trouble.

My guess is that it is part of a message....something like practice harder and you'll play...until you communicate on defense I can't play you....one of a million possible points of emphasis about a coach getting his message across to a new player.

I really enjoy reading Pitino's recaps. They're funny and insightful and it's easy to see why his players seem to like him.

He has to keep up the Hunt Conroy bit now too. Each blog post the rest of his career I expect a sarcastic comment, nothing serious

Top Bottom