Shama on the slow pace of Monday's game due to official reviews and time-outs

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Shama:

I was reminded this week how badly conference leaders and the NCAA needs to make improvements to the game of college basketball. A typical game like Monday night’s early season matchup between Minnesota and Utah was frequently slowed to a crawl at Williams Arena. In the first seven minutes, for example, there were two timeouts and two stoppages for officials to view replays on a TV monitor.

In the second half, Utah called timeout with 8:10 remaining in the game. About 22 seconds later the play on the court stopped again for one of the eight mandated media timeouts during a game. Along with the coaches’ and media’s timeouts, add in how the college game is over officiated with unnecessary foul calls. The result is a roadblock to allowing the flow and rhythm that is a natural part of basketball.

It’s way overdue for college basketball to adopt policies regarding both officiating and timeouts similar to the NBA. The pro league knows what it is doing. The college game is clueless. The NCAA is stealing a lot of showtime from its so-called student athletes while infuriating fans.

http://shamasportsheadliners.com/

Go Gophers!!

Yeah, cause there's nothing better than the last 2 minutes of an NBA game - which only takes about 20 minutes to play in real time.

And "unnecessary foul calls" - ok, let them whale on each other in the post. that'll make for a fun game.

When calls aren't made, we complain how the refs are screwing us.
When calls are made, we complain because the pace is too slow.
When calls are reviewed to make sure they are correct, we complain because it slows down the game.
On and on and on.....

For me, I go to an athletic event for entertainment and a break from working all the time. If I see a competitive game in a good environment, I really don't care if it takes two hours or two hours and 15 minutes. My life won't change that much. Far more annoying to me is the constant whining about refs and pace of play. If it is so intolerable, why go or watch at all?

For me, I go to an athletic event for entertainment and a break from working all the time. If I see a competitive game in a good environment, I really don't care if it takes two hours or two hours and 15 minutes. My life won't change that much. Far more annoying to me is the constant whining about refs and pace of play. If it is so intolerable, why go or watch at all?

This.

The biggest issue with pace early on was the Utah zone. gophers possessions were slow and plodding. This cause more fouls to be called, more balls out of bounds, etc. Not exactly enjoyable. The teams combined for nearly 150 points. I'm good with that. It wasn't 43-40 or something horrendous

When calls are reviewed to make sure they are correct, we complain because it slows down the game.
On and on and on.....

That's probably the point Shama is making and part of reason there were over 3,000 empty seats. I was starting to look at my phone in the first half as the pace was in fits and starts.

If the event is engaging, I do not care if it's 2 hrs even OR 2 hrs 15 min. If it feels like it's taking 3 hrs, there is an issue.

That's probably the point Shama is making and part of reason there were over 3,000 empty seats. I was starting to look at my phone in the first half as the pace was in fits and starts.

If the event is engaging, I do not care if it's 2 hrs even OR 2 hrs 15 min. If it feels like it's taking 3 hrs, there is an issue.

It was a long game. there was around 10 minutes left in the 2nd half at 9:45. Tough for people with kids especially.

On and on and on.....

I agree with this. Pace is fine to me, and a few reviews are better than a team getting hosed by a bad call. However, I wouldn’t mind seeing a few less “ticky-tack” foul calls. For the most part, let them play.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It was a long game. there was around 10 minutes left in the 2nd half at 9:45. Tough for people with kids especially.

Bigger issue is start time. A time between 630 nd 730 is optimal for going to games. It is the worst for tv.

TV wins again.

Pace of play in b-ball is a problem. Compare to hockey. Get the damn game moving. Stop with the incessant delays. Seconds here, minutes there. It’s like a 5 hour golf round. It’s not even about the difference in time. It’s about a crisp operation vs. halting, inefficient pace.

There should be no reviews until 5 minutes left in the game. I don’t care if a team loses a possession on a bad call prior to that. It’s not so important to grind the game to a halt. Overcome it- there’s time. (Obviously there should be an exception for flagrant foul calls.)

No full team huddles during reviews. Players in the game must remain on the floor, coaches on the sideline. No subbing, unless, without the review, it would be allowed. Get the damn game going the second they make the call, not 90 seconds later. If there was no review, that’s what would happen.

A timeout within 30 seconds of or inside the media timeout should cover both.

Only players should be able to call TOs (did that change already?).

No TOs granted because a team can’t get the ball in bounds. (Which would also eliminate the painful back-to-back TOs.)

Last edited:

When they are only reviewing for amount of time on the clock, I'd rather them only review if the timekeeper signals that they made some kind of error in when they stopped it. If they pressed the button basically at the same time as the whistle, the negligible variation should just be accepted.

Top Bottom